1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TribalOVERKILL's, "Blackout"

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by tribaloverkill, 2 Jun 2007.

1. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Damn, I wish I had the time and patience to do things as you do :D

The first thought for me would go at this with a router if I had to do something like those grills. Don't know if that would work if I had to do it "by hand" with the router table, but with a CNC router that would be a piece of cake.

But once again I have to admit, you are like a zen-master when it comes to modding! Firstly I know how much time you have to put in these things and re-do the parts when you make the smallest mistake (been there, done that (too many times)). Secondly doing all your parts "by hand", that means a lot of work hours to be put in.

Hopefully people will understand the amount of time and pain (and blood) you've put into this thing when you enter it in a contest, I would.

Great work once again :thumb:

I was also wondering if I could ask you a couple of questions by PM during next week?

Darkened

2. hagatha

hagatha No Guts? No Glory!

Tribal, your work is amazing... the attention to every detail... and the end results show us the pride you take in sharing your work. We thank you for taking the time to take the pictures and write the work log...

If I may be so bold as to share soemthing with you... I'm taking it you don't have a table saw? You need to invest in a table saw even if it is a bench top. I read your update on the making of the fan grills... I said to myself there has to be an easier way to cut all those slots. So... I took a scrap piece of .08 aluminum and set up a simple jig for my table saw to measure the distance between each slot. I clamped the sheet alum between 2 pieces of 1/4" masonite. I lowered the blade down below the surface of the table, set the piece in the notch for the first slot and slowly raised the blade to cut the slot in the sheet... lowered the blade, set it for the second notch and repeated the process, the results were very near perfect. I was able to get the slots down to 1/8" apart without distorting any of the strips between the slots. Most blades have an 1/8" kerf, but I'm sure you could use a dado blade to do the same thing with wider slots.
    The jig was simple... I set the fence to the width of the scrap sheet I had and then stacked several 1/4" thick strips of masonite against the fence. I removed a strip each time I needed to move the piece to cut the next slot.
    All that was needed was to sand the burr on the top side... even the ends of the slots were perfectly square...
    With the setup I used... It would take about 30-45 min start to finish... to cut the slots for a grill that size...

I am humbled by your work... thanks again
    Lee

3. tribaloverkill

tribaloverkill Who needs sleep,... bah.

LOL,... this tablesaw question! LOL. I was thinking,.... I dont remember him saying anything about a tablesaw! LOL. Dude,.... that is absolutely something I would do!!! GOOD WORK MAN! I like the way you think:) You know what you have to do or make,... you take into consideration all the possible way to accomplish this "task" and you chose one. The table saw. Very good. Now,... at this time I do nto have a tablesaw but, it's definitely in the works:) Theres actually a whole list of stuff I am trying to get. Eventually I will get it all and thats when,.... things are really going to get rolling. Prepare to be,.... amazed! LOL. Even though I will have a lot of machines and stuff to help speed up the process of making stuff, I will still be making a lot of stuff by hand. Showing everyone different ways of doing stuff that is normally done with specific machine or tool. How to improvise. Know what I mean? So yeah. When I get the tableasaw I am definitely going to do that. I dont want my mods to take forever to make but I dont want to rush them to completion. They have to be perfect.

@Darkened - A CNC router or mill would work great too. They make 1/8" bits though? I tried looking for them locally but didnt see any. only 1/4" I would totally try and use my router in some fashion to make these cut but cant find an 1/8" bit. I should look online. I need a new router too. Mines a POS. Its actually running a lot louder now,.. kind of a loud whine to it. I think its had enough:\ About your questions in a PM, sure:)

4. hagatha

hagatha No Guts? No Glory!

I've been a cabinet/furniture maker for years... some formal training but mostly self taught through trial and error...LOL The one fundamental rule I've learned over the years is that if it's difficult to get the results you expect, then there is a different way of doing it. Not always easier, just different. The walls of my shop are covered with "jigs" for the different tools in my shop... some only used once, some used on every project... I'm working on some new reservoirs for my rig... I'm using a couple of your basic concepts, but they are different from anything I've seen of yours... when they get to a point where I can post pics... I will. Thanks for sharing!

Lee

5. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

Hey Tribal. I remember a while back i asked you how you did your thread serts and you said you just ordered the serted part and locked them in with a hammer. Well I looked up the tools to do that and they were like $50-$150 a piece but I was at harbor frieght the other day and found one that's like a hand riviter for like $12. It may be a little late in the game but I thought you might want to know.

6. tribaloverkill

Thats right I use a hammer to insert ALL my thread-serts. I dont even have a thread-sert tool, of any kind. You dont really need the tool man. Seriously. Just play around with the thread-sert a bit and you'll see what I mean about using a hammer.

7. tribaloverkill

Hey not fair! You have to post all stages of progress! Whether good or bad! We want to see you evolve into a great reservoir maker. come on man,...

8. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

Will do. I just figured that, like me, you were turned off by the tool do to the ridiculous prices. I've been leaving the thread serts alone as I'm not to that point in my mod. Doing a scratchbuild with grills like yours is a pain in the ass. But well worth it.

9. tribaloverkill

Its not real the price that turned me off. Its the fact that I like all my stuff to be as small and as tight as possible for strengh and visual appeal. I want to hide my fasteners which will require them to be tucked in corners or under a lip or something,... everywhere a rivet gun cant get to really or has trouble getting too. So,... instead of purchasing the tool I just use a hammer. I mean installing them is simple, bang the top half into the bottom half. Its quick. If If I have to put a thread-sert really close to an edge, which I have done already. I'll use a self made tool out of iron. I place that tool on the sert and hit the iron. So many ways to get them it. You dont really need the tool. I am wondering if I could actuallt use a rivet gun to install them. Its the same concept. Just like the rivet gun pull the stem through the rivet to swell the body to hold whatever together,... the threadserts gun pulls a threaded rod that is screwed into the sert, pulling the top half into the bottom half. I wonder if a 6-32 bolt would fit into the rivet gun? Anyways,... even if it worked I still wouldnt do it. I like to seriously mash the two halves together to give a nice low profile to them:)

10. Macros_the_Black

Macros_the_Black Yup.. I'm a f-ing reptile

Tribal, I realize you have a lot to do, but I'm hurting bad here... I NEED an update from you real soon!! My withdrawal symtoms are getting really bad! I've even started staring at and fingering every unpolished metal and green plastics object I find just to keep afloat, that's how bad it's getting! :wallbash:

Plz help me Obi Wan Tribal, you are my only hope!

11. tribaloverkill

LOL. Well,... I'm actually putting blackout off to the side for just a bit. Lately I have to working on my car. I wasted so much time working on this car. But I have no choice. I need a decent car to get me around. I did all I could with it. I have to bring it to the mechanic so they can do a few things and do a thorough check. So yea. Anyways,... as said, Blackout is off to the side for a bit. I am actually going to start start making these HDD cages for ACRYAN. I want to get them done and out of the way. I'll be posting their progress in the case evolution worklog. After these cages I will continue with Blackout. I am going to be ordering a lot fo chrome shower hose soon. I ordered some UV blue tubing for the cooling system. Thats stuff looks cool! While working on Blackout I plan on starting these two two custom reservoirs orders placed by another modder. Those are going to look hot! I'll post those in liquid evolution. Blackout and the custom reservoirs have to be done by Feb 2008! That is a MUST!!!!

12. Macros_the_Black

Macros_the_Black Yup.. I'm a f-ing reptile

I see. Best of luck with the car! =) Sounds like there will be more TribaloverSkill (yes, the 'S' was intentional) eyecandy sweetness soon enough in other threads... excellent! *putting fingers together* :naughty:

13. razzta010

razzta010 mod addict

It´s a pitty not having more updates.....but for sure it will be worth it. Good luck with new projects!

14. rytmehunden

rytmehunden I love glory and fame

Sorry for ressurecting this thread.. But are you gonna finish this for the deadline or is your other project to timeconsuming?

I ask because i would give an arm and a leg to see a photoseries of the finished Blackout.

15. tribaloverkill

Blackout wont be done by FEB, LOL.

16. Teyber

Teyber ******

bump/poke combo here :)

17. mr_carl

mr_carl What's a Dremel?

p.....p....p...p..poke/bump

18. tribaloverkill

Very soon guys very soon.

19. bentleya

bentleya Lian Li Snail :)

yay |:D he said soon :D does that mean very soon or soon :D

20. FrooP

FrooP can I eat this?

very soon means.. hm dunno.. in TO time.. 3 months?

j/k buddy :D