1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Lumière Noire by E.E.L. Ambiense - Completed

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by E.E.L. Ambiense, 8 Apr 2008.

1. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

E.E.L., I'm not seeing the Filterights working here. Seems too much of a cover up. The skills you have should just let the fans show. Hard to explain but they look "fuzzy" to me. But what do I know, I like to see fans.
    John

2. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

I wholeheartedly agree. They're now gone!

Yeah, I agree John. They're not workin' for me either. I've ditched them now.

3. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

looks great E.E.l :thumb:

4. E.E.L. Ambiense

July 27th Small Update!

Hey again, all. I've been busy over the weekend, but unfortunately not really much on the modding front. Had some problems at home, but I'm not going to get into that. I did however work a little bit today on the project. Which you're about to see. But it's not exciting or anything.

First up, not on topic, but if you don't have a copy of this mag yet....

[​IMG]

What are you waiting for?! Bill's awesome kick-ass Phenom rig is on the cover, obviously, and a kewl write-up inside. And there's even a nod to some of us Bit-Tech people too for an endearing nickname that stuck. ;)

Alright, back on-topic, the update. As I stated in the previous post, the Filterights on the fans weren't working for me. So I've ditched them. Here's the fans reinstalled.

[​IMG]

And running, just for oohs and ahhs. ;)

[​IMG]

Now, the next thing is something I've been ignoring a bit, but always had it in the back of my mind. The IDE bays from the inside of the case. I've been meaning to come up with something to cover it up, as well as provide support and possibly cooling to the pump and burner area.

[​IMG]

As we all know, these little DDC pumps put out some heat, especially the fact that I have a 355 in there too, so I've come up with something that I believe will work. I've designed a stealth plate that will have thru-holes for the plumbing as well as mounted fans on it. Here's the design.

[​IMG]

At first I designed things to drop in two 60mm's, but I figured that'd be pointless. And after some measuring and re-measuring, I've decided to go with 40mm's. Why? Well, for one thing, it's the only thing that'll fit with some room for all the stuff behind the plate! Granted, 40mm fans are pretty much worthless. They really don't push much air at all, but for this little area of the case and in such a closed-in space, I think they'll do just nicely. I had originally set up the design with two 40mm's below pointed in at the two pumps, but I decided to add a third. Here's why. I looked in my parts box that we all have, and found 40mm x 20mm fans ditched from some of the modded Corsair Airflow fan units that I've done in the past. This will be perfect. They're quiet, they're already wired together, and they're sleeved too. Problem solved. I don't want them to be flashy or even really seen, so these will work great. I removed the little stickers on the fans, so the badging is gone. and the third fan in the middle will be pointed as an exhaust to kind of direct the 'hot' air towards the top rad and out of the case.

[​IMG]

Next thing was, to tap the odd screwhole size on these fans to a larger normal size, along with threads for easy mounting. I decided 8-32 was the closest, and I have some 8-32 black socket caps laying around here somewhere, so it'll keep in the theme. :rock:

[​IMG]

And tapped. Screw threaded in with fingers to check. Yup, works great.

[​IMG]

I'm coming up with a method for mounting this plate in easy, and I'll share the details when they've baked enough. :)

-------------
    Until the next update, I got nuthin'. :thumb:

5. jhanlon303

+1 on buy the magazine. I have mine. Too bad they didn't put in the center so we could hang it up. Or a fold out! Enough for Mr. mnpctech, (love ya Bill) he can stand on his own as can this one! Your turn to shine old ( actually young) friend! This is just neat
    John

6. E.E.L. Ambiense

:hehe: I appreciate the kind words, John.

7. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

May I ask what program you use to design those pics? They look really awesome and would help me out a lot in the future.

8. E.E.L. Ambiense

Hey. I'm a graphic designer by profession. My main weapon of choice is CorelDraw, but I also use Illustrator, Photoshop (for raster work...yuck!), Dreamweaver, etc. :thumb:

9. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Thanks E.E.L. I have used Photoshop and Dreamweaver, I should pick up Photoshop if I can.

10. skullen

skullen Minimodder

oohs and ahhs :hehe: nice one E.E.L :thumb:

11. steelkane

steelkane It's Not Just A Box

I don't think anyone would have trouble getting there head around your colors for this project. Amazing workmanship

12. E.E.L. Ambiense

No problem.

Hahaha, thanks Skullen!

Thanks, man. It's gonna look EEEEVIL! :hehe:

13. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

looking good mate :thumb:

14. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Nice idea.
    -But d*mn! I thought I was white!

15. E.E.L. Ambiense

Hahaha, what?! :confused: :hehe:

16. jhanlon303

Even my indoor self isn't THAT white. Must be from living in the E.E.L. cave. Whitest hands in a project log trophy here!
    John

17. E.E.L. Ambiense

LOL. I've said many times before.....I'm an recovering goth! :hehe:

18. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Still doesn't explain the lack of BLOOD in your veins.

19. E.E.L. Ambiense

LOL. Hahahaha. I've no answers. :hehe:

20. jhanlon303

Tanning booth? Maybe a couple UV bulbs in the ceiling like our reptiles cages? Or - spray on tan! not really tan but a cool yellow jaundice color. Just trying to help here - don't want to be scaring the neighbor kids.

John

Tags: