1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News DirectX 11 optimises for multithreading and GPGPU

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 1 Aug 2008.

1. dworvos

dworvos What's a Dremel?

I do not understand why people complain about UAC being a Vista only issue. You have to go through the same type of dialog with Mac OS X (At least the version of Tiger which I used before) and in Linux. You have to "authenticate" or run certain programs using "sudo" which is essentially the same thing as the overlay box asking your permission in Vista. Why all the hate for the last operating system to prevent escalated privileges from being granted automatically? Personally I prefer that Vista is letting me know that something is trying to gain escalated privileges so I can be sure I'm not letting malware infect my computer.

2. seveneleven

seveneleven What's a Dremel?

I hope M$ finally makes the deadline and includes the feature we were promised back when Longhorn was around - WinFS.Thanks to this new file system the Longhorn project was rebadged and scaled down to Vista as it was too innovative.I wonder how our files will be sorted once WinFS gets incorporated in Windows 7?What else is there besides folders?

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

@seveneleven, I would guess nothing would have changed.
    Probably Microsoft found it was more complicated then helpful, or realized to not change standards that was established for oh so many years, like the QWERTY keyboard and how you execute a program (unlike MacOS where it's Ctrl+O instead of Enter). Which probably explains why Microsoft totally canceled it (I mean the concept), it will end up (if it is included) to the same thing as we have now, just maybe deliver instant search results faster on your screen or something like that. Anyway, it's all so so vague... I guess we have to wait and found out.

4. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I'm not so much worried about the extra performance of a PC being used, as I am that all games - witness Bioshock - will be targeted squarely at twitch-thumbed ten-year-olds with the attention span of a rapidly-decaying neutrino.

P

5. ParaHelix.org

ParaHelix.org What's a Dremel?

Microsoft Windows 7 = Microsoft Windows Vista service pack 2.
    But a very expensive service pack, lol.

Edit: By the way, for people who would respond to that like "Duh noob itz nt a srvs pck minge itz new", I was joking.

6. ParaHelix.org

The article made it very clear that DirectX 11 would be Vista compatable, try reading it sometime.

7. ParaHelix.org

Even extremely basic and free antivirus and firewalls stop such activity as remote desktop control, however, that would be a really crappy virus or cracker anyway as they would use somthing such as invisable command prompt and preset command files.

8. GoodBytes

That is why Vista system in integrated on the kernal, so that it can't be bypassed. So far it isn't the case.

9. koola

koola Minimodder

No.

Microsoft have plenty of time to change their mind. I was merly stipulating the scenario of DX10 to Vista.

10. GoodBytes

koola, you still don't get.
    Microsoft wants DirectX to be popular... I mean they invest money on it. To get used they need to present to companies market share. If few people have it, no games/software will be made for it. But if a lot, then yes. Now why DirectX10 is not for XP, simply, because they can't do it. I mean anything is possible, it's just business wise, time consumption spend on it is not worth it, especially that it will turn the OS to the OS that they try to sell. That would be dumb from them to do such thing.

11. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

Vista isn't any crapper than XP. This attitude boggles me!

It's going to vista with bells on. Like XP was to 2000. It's only an operating system at the end of the day.

Question is, in the article, what is "Games for Windows Live"? Is it a "Games for Windows, Live", or "Games for 'Windows Live'" or...? If that's the case, what is Windows Live? Is it just Windows?

12. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

Don't know if this is what is in windows 7, but I would guess you could do indexing of tags? So you could have one file under two tags instead of one directory. Or three tags. Or four.

13. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Games for Windows Live is Microsoft's answer to Steam's integrated chat+server browser.

basically useless. :rolleyes:

how do DirectX support multi-thread? it's already multi-threaded as it is with shaders going off to the 128 possible pipelines.

14. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

People who still use XP (me included) need to get along and step up. Because XP is really getting old now. You can wish for DX10.x till you're dead but deep inside you know it will never come to XP. And you really really want to get all the magic out of your expensive dx10 card don't ya?

I know its hard when your beloved XP is full with a shipload of software and other crap "you don't need but really really wanted" and do not want to install again. Well with a fresh vista install you do not have too. And the "are you sure nag screens" can be disabled too, just google for it. It's not wise to do it, but if it really bothers you...

If your really like the XP look then you're probably the only one who likes the teletubbies. And vista looks can be changed with ease. And you got a nice sidebar where you can put in monitor tools like processor loads, network use, speedfan readings and other stuff.

You can stick to peanut butter every day for the rest of your life or try something new and refreshing.

15. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I'm running 64bit in a dual boot with XP MCE, but I find myself running XP more ofthen than Vista for 2 reasons (although I really do like Vista)

Nearly all PC's sold these days are 64bit so why make a new 32bit OS?

Some companies are lazy, they know they have to create drivers for XP and it's easy enough to port over to 32bit Vista but then 64bit gets completely left out (case in point, my new Sony Alpha 350 camera Drivers only for XP & Vista 32bit so if I want to take the pics off my camera I need to either use Vista or a memory card reader - and the RAW conversion program won't work either).

I still struggle to get drivers for several devices (including my new camera) for the 64bit version whereas the 32bit drivers will work on either XP or Vista 32bit.
    The other problem (in my case) is that my graphics card still crashes under vista (latest drivers installed).
    I may be lucky and not a crash at all some days whereas others it will happen every 5 minutes. It could be because my card is too old and no longer supported by nVidia though (6600 GT). :S

16. GoodBytes

Blademrk, Are you kidding me? Geforce 6600GT!?
    I was using this video card recently for about 2 months (I sold my 8800) and I had no problem whatsoever under Vista 64.
    And I was like "What does these people complain about... I have no issue (same for the 8800)?". Do you uninstall your drivers before installing the new ones? If you try both ways... then something is making Vista a monkey, hehe (Vista bug?!)

17. ParaHelix.org

About the Win 7 = Vista SP2 it was a joke...as I said in my comment, about Microsoft changing their mind, they havn't ever done it before.

18. GoodBytes

Actually... it MAY be... Depends on the number of new features, and number bug fixes and improvements.
    Are they going to cancel everything and have only 1 or 2 new features.... based on history it's most unlikely, but just IF they do then yes, we could say it's Vista SP2.

19. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

and they plan to charge us, just like Snow Leopard?

god, they are getting desperate.

20. GoodBytes

I am not saying they are.
    it was just a hypothetical.

Tags: Add Tags