1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: C&C GDI War Factory (*New Video*)+ Ion Cannon (August MOTM)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by milotic858, 18 Jul 2008.

1. milotic858

milotic858 What's a Dremel?

Time to get to work on the main structure of the GDI War Factory. First thing I had to do was peel off that plastic coating on the plexi. It wasn’t easy, I think the heat gun melted it pretty well. But, I managed to get most of it off,

In the skirmish part of the game you can pick from various team colors. Instead, I am going to mask those areas. That way when the computer is on the internal light will show through.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I applied masking tape to the inside of the frame so that there isn’t any accidental paint.

[​IMG]

There was some plastic coating still left that I couldn’t peel off, so had to sand it. Tried to be careful, but…. :eeek:BROKE IT!!!!. :waah::waah:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So… The only way to fix it was to super glue it back together. It worked to keep it all together.:duh:

[​IMG]

2. Bluefan

Bluefan test 123

Just remove any excess glue (carefully ;) ) and it won't be visible after the paintjob. How thick is the plexi anyway?

What I noticed when painting plexi is that with 1 layer paint on both sides it isn't 100% opaque, light could leak from the inside.
    I did use cheap spray paint and no primer (I know, lousy :) ).

Last edited: 4 Aug 2008
  3. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

Looks awesome man, I can't wait to see more

4. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

you mean Woman =p but yes it certainly does and I cant wait to see more. :)

5. milotic858

I glued it back together and waited for it to dry. Then, sanded it down to make sure there aren’t any weird bumps. It isn’t that noticeable, but if you look for it, you can see where it broke. Will prime and then paint. Not sure the thickness of the plexi…will have to get back to you on that one. :D

yes…woman is correct.:blush: Thanks guys for your support. More updates to come.:dremel:

6. milotic858

Prime and Paint of the main structure

Getting ready to prime

[​IMG]

Primed structure

[​IMG]

Waited for it to dry, then added the main color. It is hard to see in the picture. Must be bad lighting.
    [​IMG]

Took it inside when it was dry and started to peel away the masking. I was so nervous… didn’t want to peel any extra paint off.

[​IMG]

Without the masking tape on back. This way you can see the one area that will be clear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 5 Aug 2008
  7. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

great work but in the future I would recommend getting pin striping painters tape, its mainly used for marking out outlines of custom paint work but its main purpose is for making very clean lines and not allowing paint to bleed under it, once you have the pin tape lined out you then cover up over it with standard painters tape so that you dont waste the pin tape as its narrow in size, this way when the paint dries and you remove it you will have nice perfect lines. Also to help prevent pealing of the paint dont peel it when the paint is dry but when it becomes tacky then its safe to remove the tape as its still fresh but will pull cleanly, again Im not trying to rag on you or anything just putting my two cents in, I do highly enjoy the work you have done so far, you have made fantastic progress on a very detailed project and for this being your first your doing a bang up job. :)

8. milotic858

I went with a ¼ striping tape because it was cheaper then the painters masking tape, and I only needed a small amount for the masking. I actually doubled it rather then buying a wider tape. I also used the same striping tape for some of the detail work on this case. Especially since this was the first time working with these materials, I didn’t want to spend a lot of money on it. I guess I know better for the next time (already thinking about my next mod!);)

I will remember to peel earlier and not to wait till it is dry. I had some spots that were stuck and very hard to get off. Had to use one of my craft knifes to loosen it. I had to work whenever I had some down time. So, I would hurry and paint and then come back to it when I had time.

I do appreciate your comments. It will help me become a better modder.:thumb:

9. acey

acey What's a Dremel?

Hah, no wonder last time when I did my outline paint stuff the paint went under the masking tape. Now I learned something new. :thumb:

Milotic, it looks good enough with only prime hehe. Sorta real concrete structure look. :clap:

10. milotic858

There are two ladders on the side of the War Factory and there are rails that the crates sit on. Using skewers and toothpicks, I started to build. First I put down two skewers for the sides and then added a toothpick at each ½ inch interval. I made sure to use a ruler so that each step in the ladder was the same distance apart.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. milotic858

My new favorite tool. :dremel: I loved using this handheld dremel. It is very easy to use and handle. In order to maintain a clean look for the ladder, I cut off the ends of the toothpicks. Had to make two ladders, one for each side of the War Factory. I also used this same technique for the rails that the crates will sit on. Each piece had the exact same spacing and similar pattern.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. milotic858

After glueing all the pieces together and cutting off the ends, I primed and painted each piece. Each piece is painted a dark red to match the color of the ladders in the game.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Just a quick note for future reference: try to remove any tape as folded back on itself as possible. Almost laying against itself. Makes the edges really come out more even.

This is getting wicked. I'm here. Subscribed.
    John

14. Bluefan

Bluefan test 123

You certainly have attention for detail, subscribed :thumb:

15. p3ri0d

p3ri0d What's a Dremel?

Lookin' good ^^

16. milotic858

Wow…:clap:thanks everyone for subscribing... :D

Working on next post.

17. milotic858

One of the highlights of this case is the large crane that surrounds the War Factory. In the game, the crane carries crates that are located on the side and drops then inside the factory. A few seconds later out comes a vehicle of choice. Just out of paper, I make a template that I will use to cut the inside pieces to the top of the crane. Then, I cut the paper and glued it to the ½ square dowel. I used the scroll saw to cut each piece to shape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. milotic858

For those who don’t know, I posted earlier that I decided to enter a mod contest. Place 2nd overall!!! :D I haven’t been feeling well the last few days, but was very excited to see that I placed so high for my first mod. And to think, I wasn’t going to enter.

prize newegg gift certificate and a zune !

Link for the contest results.

***--Spoiler--**
    don’t click link if you want to wait to see the final product till the end of worklog

http://www.modshop.net/

19. karolis

karolis Code Monkey

Congratulations! i think you deserve this, after all the hard work you put into the project. (just for the record, didn't click on the link, update please :D)

20. acey

acey What's a Dremel?

Congrats on the 2nd place! Now what you gonna do with that 100 bux voucher?