1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Battlestar Galactica Mod: Complete!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Boddaker, 27 Mar 2007.

1. Frido

Frido Minimodder

Nice hover feature :D *sound of points restored, lot's of 'em* hehehe

The base looks as it always has been there - great work!!!
    Are you going to use a dustfilter between the floor and the rad, or is your floor like a cleanroom at NASA's? :)

You keep inspiring us peasants, oh mighty King Bod!!! LOL - and keep us feeling as idiots who cannot handle a simple hammer and saw with your Galactica-case! (Yes, I'm still envious as hell and drooling down mouthwater into my keyboard) :thumb:

/Frido

2. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

Thanks guys! lol Yes, thank god I still have my sense of humor, otherwise I would go insane (and my wife would not hesitate to have me committed!).

haha I was thinking about having the fans blow air out through the radiator. Wouldn't want all that hot air coming into the case would I? Or does it not make much of a difference because it will be water cooled? Guess it would cool better having outside air coming in through the rad. Maybe when I get it up and running, I will test it both ways and see if there is a difference in temps.

3. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Well heat rises, so it would definitely be better for the water temp & resulting water cooled components to suck in the air from underneath, but you'd definitely wanna duct that warmed up air exiting the top of the radiator out of the case, as that warm air is just gonna heat up everything in the case, which of course is very bad, and would even affect the water cooled components such as the cpu waterblock, possibly even enough to negate the benefit of the cooler water on the cpu!

So you'd want a big duct, i dunno maybe a big gentle curve exiting the side(s) of the case, or maybe a big duct going straight up. If a big duct such as these won't suit what you've got planned for the inside of the case, then i'd reccomend just having the rad fans blowing down through the rad... you know, if the fans blowing down through the rad are powerfull enough... then the case will hover! :lots of dancing bannanas: All you'd need is some fins/vanes for steering and stability, or maybe just a small fan on each corner :rock:

4. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

As long as the case has propper ventilation there shouldn't bee a problem. The PSU and rear exhaust fan will draw in most of that hot air anyway. I have seen it done that way before and I am doing it that way and there isn't a huge difference in temps just as long as you have good airflow.

5. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

*shouts out*

It hovers! It hovers!

*ignores curious looks from his coworkers and laughs out loud*

It hovers! Woooooohoooooo!

On a more serious note: very inspiring work on the landing bay leds. A floppy ribbon cable, finally I can do something with the pile of them I've got lying around :thumb:

6. Boddaker

Ok, so I was going to start painting last week, but as i began to make preparations, I realized I needed to do
    a few more things before I could begin the paint process. Parts needed a bit more detail added, and the keyboard
    and monitor needed some work as well. Might as well have everything ready so I can paint it all at once.

So the keyboard and monitor got the ol' rib/armor treatment:

First I drew some random armor paneling onto the palm rest, and cut out a few portions.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Then I added the ribbing behind the cutout areas.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Then I covered the bottom.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here it is attached to the keyboard.
    [​IMG]

Still gotta add a few more details, and prime.

For my main monitor I'm using an IZ3D 22" widescreen. I removed the front bezel and started adding the ribs.
    These are just on for placement.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Gluing them down. Using a piece of tape to help keep the top and bottom ribs lined up.
    [​IMG]

Ribs done, and some detail pieces added for good measure.
    [​IMG]

Primed.
    [​IMG]

Now there are just some minor things to finish up before masking and painting everything.
    If I can get the base coat on tonight I will be looking really good. :)

7. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

fah kin su pa :clap:

8. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

damn nice work Bod. Ties in perfectly with the rest of the mod.

9. Frido

Frido Minimodder

Holy sumthing - you're making a SET!?!?!?!

Tryin' to outcompete and outdesign DELL and Alienware? (In my eyes, that happened 33 pages ago ;))
    Simply in love with your monitor-mod, only thing that is missing is... the MOUSE! :D (So that you won't forget now, will you? ;))

Bod, you keep surprising us - keep doin' what you rule, and we'll keep coming back to this thread (and prolly future threads too)

/Frido

10. JBLPL

JBLPL What's a Dremel?

Decided: 5 stars and subscribed :D

11. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Hmmmmm, the only thinkI'm not sure about is the armour on the wrist rest. Don't get me wrong it looks brilliant, but won't that rub when you rest on it? As with most painted surfaces they seem to get sticky when sweat mixes with it, although it is removable so is it going to be a show piece only?

I'm glad you're onto the painting stage though, I guess thats not going to be much darker than the primer? Did you mention scorch marks at the beginning? I can't remember!

12. Boddaker

You don't think I would do the monitor and keyboard, and not the mouse do you? :p It won't be as involved as the rest, due to time constraints, but I won't have to do much really. It's a Logitech G9, which in my opinion fits right into the theme as it sits. It has red accents and a more squared off, angular design. About the only thing I will do is add the BSG logo to it.

do mo ah ri ga to!

Thanks guys! :D

I did take into consideration the locations of my palms when gaming, and I cut the holes around those areas. I only use my left hand on the kb (right hand on the mouse) so no probs there. I will be using a durable clear coat as well, so it should be quite impervious to everyday use.

The base coat I'm using is a matte silver, so it will be a bit lighter than the primer. But after I add varying shades of gray over that, and copious amounts of weathering and distressing (and yes, maybe even some scorch marks!), it will probably darken a bit overall.

13. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I can't wait to see this painted and detailed! You have mod of the year for sure.
    I was too busy laughing at the hover pic to call bullsh*t.:hehe:

14. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

I agree. Bad-ass work, Bod. Glad to see it rounding third base.

15. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

as always: really good work! i like it very much!!:rock:

16. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

Hey Bod, I saw that you're going to Nvision 2008 (i was hoping you would, we're actually sitting close to eachother). I was wondering what cases you're bringing? I was hoping all of them. I'll see you there, the mod looks great.

17. Nolimited

Nolimited What's a Dremel?

really great mod :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: 5 star for me :thumb:

18. Boddaker

lol thanks Cheapskate! And there was no photochopping going on in that pic. What you see is what really happened! ;)

Thanks everyone!

Hey Nick, looking forward to Nvision as well. I'm thinking about bringing a few other mods in addition to BSG. But we'll see if I have time to get them ready. I foresee a few long nights in both our near futures! lol

19. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Sure, and George Bush is the president of the USA :eyebrow:

20. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Just an FYI guys, it looks like I'll not be that far away either... I can't wait to see your awesome work in person. :thumb: :D

Tags: