1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Suggest a light cheap laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Igniseus, 4 Aug 2008.

1. Igniseus

Igniseus What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

Looking for a new laptop for when I'm back at Uni. Won't be buying until Oct-Dec so anything not out but due by Jan is most certainly welcome.

Requirements:
    • Max weight about 1.5KG, ideally under 1KG
    • Max size 15" ish
    • Needs to be able to do basic Photoshop tasks
    • Be able to handle Flash 8 animating/scripting
    • Be under £400 preferably, or £500 if the extra £££ makes a big difference

Thanks all

2. p3ri0d

p3ri0d What's a Dremel?

3. Igniseus

I was considering an Atom based laptop, but I figured they wouldn't handle Flash CS3 past simple tasks. I'm just guessing however. If anyone has actually tested this it would be fantastic rather than just guessing from the spec's. Otherwise a slightly higher-end laptop may be needed or better yet perhaps a faster Atom or such CPU will be out by Dec.

Thanks

4. inverted

inverted What's a Dremel?

Nearly any laptop at that price range will be able to do basic photoshop tasks, though if size is a concern try looking at the Asus eee PC.

5. Fredrics

Fredrics Hmm...

If you were to get an asus eee you would have to be looking more at the 1000 rather than any of the other lower models.

6. veryevil

veryevil Minimodder

7. scuzzphut

scuzzphut perfectly normal

8. Igniseus

Thanks for all the suggestions :)

I think I'm sold on the Gigabyte M912V. It might still be an Atom CPU (great but may struggle with heavy flash work), but everything else about it is fantastic. I love that I can get a laptop/tablet combo for just £400! And the higher resolution, that pretty much sold me - 1280x768 on 8.9"!? Hell yeah! I think thats more or less what my 15" laptop has. Not to mention 1GB RAM standard, a whopping 160GB HDD for such a small/cheap laptop, touchscreen, etc.

9. veryevil

veryevil Minimodder

That's what I said!

10. scuzzphut

scuzzphut perfectly normal

You two be sure to post back here when you get them and give us a field report !

11. Igniseus

Aye, and I thank you again for the fantastic find :D Was almost gonna get a Acer One or whatever its called, but that just blows it away (ok so its a bit pricier, but its worth it!). I just measured the length of it out....its not even close to half the length of my KEYBOARD! Granted, I have the old G15 :p

12. veryevil

veryevil Minimodder

I cannot wait they should drop in the first week of September and im really looking forward to it!

EDIT: OOHHH just checked its gone down £15 now £415 thats good!

13. Igniseus

http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=171309

Stuff Vista, rather go XP for the £££ saving plus it will be faster considering the 1.6GHz and 1GB RAM :D

Will it really drop in price in the first few weeks?

14. veryevil

veryevil Minimodder

Hey, im still goin for the vista I like it better than XP and already have my pre-order in.

As for the price its still not finalized thats why its changing. when i preordered mine it was at £400 exactly then went up to £429 now its £415. who knows where its gonna end. lol

15. Igniseus

Oh I certainly like Vista more, just not enough to warrant £60 premium for it (and *Basic* edition at that), considering I'm on a budget :p

But if you got the cash, why not :D

16. veryevil

veryevil Minimodder

Where you getting £60 from one is £385 the other is £415 to me that makes £30? and for a vista license thats not bad

17. Igniseus

:duh: Oops my bad, not feeling too great lately, cant think straight!

18. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

If you haven't completely gone for the Atom based one, have a look at the Samsung q45. For £560 I have got a rather nice 12" laptop. It is a bit heavier than you asked for but perfectly manageable and has very good features. The keyboard is nice too, and the battery does actually last about 5 hours with wireless.

19. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Being in the market for a ultra-portable right now as well (i'm only looking at buying come end of the year or so, but i normally do my homework WELL in advance), i'm looking for something comfortable to work with, but small and portable. Should run Linux or be powerful enough to run Windows and Virtual server/virtual pc/VMWare, or similar, for web dev on the road.
    the ones that caught my eye so far have been that Gigabyte machine mentioned somewhere above and the Acer Aspire One...choices...eek!

20. veryevil

veryevil Minimodder

Ive changed my pre-order on the gigabyte over to the XP version now as im gonna put a better version of vista on with the tablet pc features and use the £30 im gonna save on the vista basic license to buy 2Gb or ram for it. so it will run vista even better