1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics NVIDIA PhysX on G80!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WhiskeyAlpha, 6 Aug 2008.

1. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha What's a Dremel?

Any G80 owners who have been waiting for the new Nvidia PhysX driver, rejoice!

If you grab the latest beta drivers (177.79) from Nvidia's site here, followed by the recently leaked PhysX 8.07.18 driver, you can finally enable PhysX processing on G80 based Nvidia cards.

GT200/G92/G96/G94/G84 are also confirmed working.

My vantage score went from P8231 to P9262 with them enabled (CPU score from 12572 to 36075).

UT3 PhysX maps see a significant boost once you copy the PhysXCore.dll from C:\Program Files\AGEIA Technologies\v2.7.3\ to C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries.

Gears of War has also seen a reasonable speed boost.

Enjoy :)

2. kempez

kempez modding again!

Nice, dunno whether to get rid of my PhysX card or not now really. Probably should. Glad I didn't pay for it tbh :D

3. MixWizard

MixWizard Minimodder

Freebies are always the best.

Will try this on my 8800GTS (G92)

4. Smegwarrior

Smegwarrior Fighting the war on smeg

Will this work for all games or just certain ones, will it work for Stalker:Shadow of Chernobyl?

5. MixWizard

MixWizard Minimodder

Anything that would have taken advantage of the physx cards will work with this AFAIK

6. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Does this work with the original 8800gtx's?

Sam

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

ah! that's why i still get major lag when try Lighthouse last night with your posted drive combo.

but i still can't get Crazy Machine 2 to allow me into PhysX labs...... is there a similar trick?

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Not iirc, only on the newer-generation cards, i.e. G92 and above. :(

9. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

OP says it's for G80....

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Damn! That'll teach me to read the first bloody post... :(

11. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

^LOL.

Sweet, I'll try it out on both of my aging 8800GTS's (G80).

12. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

How can I tell if it's enabled? Last time I tried the Physx tests, looking at the Physx properties window, it looked like it was enabled, but when running the tests (the cloth over the cube and the magnetic ball, etc), there was a heck of a lot of cpu time used. That was with 177.something drivers and the 8.6.12 physx software on a 9800GTX.

13. WhiskeyAlpha

Indeedy, I used my 8800GTX to obtain the scores in my OP.

I'm not sure tbh wuyanxu. I'd never even heard of crazy machines 2 until I just looked it up. Looks like a lot of fun though, might have to give it a try :)

14. WhiskeyAlpha

Well, I simply did a "with" and "without" on vantage which put it beyond any doubt (see scores and pay particular attention to the "CPU" scores, as it thinks the physics processing is being performed on the CPU rather than GPU). On top of that, the UT3 PhysX maps were definitely improved and Gears of War definitely ran a little smoother.

If you can't get anything out of it, it might be worth doing a complete driver clean and starting over?

15. wyx087

do i have to copy and paste PhysXCore.dll file for all games? how did you get smoother Gears of War?

16. WhiskeyAlpha

Gears just seemed smoother to me tbh. Bear in mind it's not the drastic change that you get with the UT3 PhysX maps however. Also, I found a list of games that had been tested for performance improvements with the PhysX driver and Gears was on there.

Then again it could be a placebo :worried:

EDIT:

Can't seem to find anywhere that suggests that you need to copy in a different PhysXCore.dll to get Gears working. Did find another guy who's noticed the improvements though

Last edited: 6 Aug 2008
  17. cbwestrunner

cbwestrunner What's a Dremel?

for those of us that are using new ATI cards like the 4870 is there a way to do this? I know there's some crazy work around, but it doesn't seem worth it. Would a Physx card make sense now, or are they just going to discontinue them?

18. wyx087

although PhysX maps on UT3 are now playable, i feel those maps are useless, only fun to shoot the walls for first 5min.

the rag doll was fun, except it doesn't happen in other maps.

19. WhiskeyAlpha

I haven't really looked into it to be honest but as I understand it, ATi will have the opportunity to use PhysX hardware acceleration at some point. I certainly wouldn't consider a PhysX card now though. The support is fairly thin at the moment and like I said, you'll get GPU support (hopefully) very soon anyway :).

I got great satisfaction from actually being able to run those maps. Then I realised they were pointless and rubbish :hehe:.

Still, it's a driver update, it's free and it means we get to fiddle with more "stuff". Ideal for hardware geeks no?