1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help? with this weird device :s

Discussion in 'General' started by Nuffenburger, 8 Aug 2008.

1. Smegwarrior

Smegwarrior Fighting the war on smeg

The police probably won't do anything about it, they need a report from someone who has been a victim and even then they need proof before they will even file a report.

I would caution against any ideas of taking his photo as he may become violent.

You could set up an unsecured wireless access point and have some files stored on the computer that are made to look tempting but even if you did get his MAC address he could probably change it or the computer used, you would also be in the grey area of entrapment, the evidence you gather may not be admissable in court and there may be the possibility of him suing you for defamation even if he has done wrong just because of the evidence not being admissable.

Even if we still had TV licenses in Australia I would not need one as I do not use a TV, I use a CRT video projector connected to a set top box or video and that is not classed as a TV.

2. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

so what is the point of this wardriving thing? they map out all the spots they can connect to so when they drive around they never lose connection?

Why spend so much time mapping out the spots just for driving around? i dont get it. sounds retarded.

3. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

no wardriving is just the mapping of the wireless connections. There are various applications like a GPS type system using signal strength for positioning. Actually using the connection is called piggybacking.

Its technically not illegal as you can passively monitor networks.... ahh stuff it i'm to tired to go on

read the wiki wiki

4. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

OMFG! I came across exactly the same sort of thing. This dude had a laptop in his hand and spent a pretty long time on our garden wall (before I switched the router off). I thought he might be doing some sort of work, but he had no badges or bags or anything, and looked pretty unkempt...

5. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

No man that's just a Moderator checking on you. LOL
    John

6. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

It means we're enjoying a bottle of champagne ;)

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Trust me, you would. The TV licensing people define a TV as basically anything that displays the live signal in colour, connected to an aerial.

8. kennethsross

kennethsross What's a Dremel?

remote reading of meters, anyone?

9. Smegwarrior

Smegwarrior Fighting the war on smeg

Actually no, it has to be a receiver unit built into the display device, my CRT projector does not have a receiver built into it so it is not a TV.

10. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I know british law requires anyone with the ability of recieving live broadcast material to own a TV licence, what annoys me most and not many people know this, but it also includes broadband if you read the small print. I dont mind that too much as i have a TV, but £139.64 a year is a bit to much consider a black and white tv licence yes you can get them only £40, so its an extra £100 for decode colour!

most miffed!

11. theevilelephant

not true

from the tv licensing webby

You only need a license if you use your equipment to receive live tv

12. zoot2boot

zoot2boot What's a Dremel?

i'm with supertoad, seems pretty dickish knee jerk reaction to me.

13. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

Ha ha, i love this british attitude - "omg, omg, i saw a man with an antenna, omg, he MUST be doing something (oh, the painfully wrong word!) illegal. Crazy.

14. Gooey_GUI

Gooey_GUI Wanted: Red Shirts

Bush is real big on his America and says that about his own country (my country), but this country may not say the same thing he does - anymore. Only the 30% of die hard Republicans back him up. The rest feel that America's standing in the world has gone way down. Don't ask me what percentage of users have wireless here.

If you don't mind visiting the "great white wishing well" several times throughout the night then I guess you're right about drinking has no limit unless you're driving or pass out. There is something called alcohol poisoning. Also, waking up with a headache and still being drunk would have to be fun too.

As for the suspicious guy, maybe it's because the water spirals counter clockwise down there? or is it clockwise? Doh, that's what that guy is doing. He's checking which direction your water drains. He's using a dousing rod. :idea:

Paranoia strikes deep! :rolleyes:

15. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

wardriving, obviously.

16. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

I'll go for war driving as well, If it was anything legit like TV licence guy, or even a student doing some research or something, why would the dude run off?

17. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Yeah, but if you read what he said, he said live streaming which does count.
    You know the OP is Australian not British right? :eyebrow:

18. theevilelephant

All I'm saying is its not about whether you have the 'ability' to watch live broadcasts its about whether you actually watch them. I can own a tv and a tv aerial without a license as long as I can prove the tv isn't connected to the aerial. For the same reasons I don't need a license if I have broadband. If I actually watch live broadcasts on my connection then I do.

19. Colt 45 J

Colt 45 J Aye

HAHA, Love the TV license requirement, in the states, there is none (that I know of) you just buy a TV and hook it up, and you are good to go. Also, yes this sounds like war driving.

20. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

Now this got me thinking,

Many computers (especially Macs) will connect automatically to any wireless network when it comes avaliable and then if its a secure network will ask for the network key. This effectivly m00ts your point about the unsecured wireless network.
    To recieve internet the access point is broadcasting a signal, which is then picked up by the client device. The client then "asks" for permission to join the network and then the access point gives permission along with IP information (its called handshaking and is part of the TCP/IP stack).

The analagy is that you stand at your front door and shout "this door is open". And once someone comes along they ask to come in and you say "sure" if you dont have a password.

Cracking WPA WEP etc is and should be illegal (as thats like pushing you over to get in when your standing in your doorway) but open wireless networks are entirely different in my view, Turn SSID off and then again the situation changes as you have to be specifically looking for the access point and have prior knowledge of the information needed to connect (aka, door closed but unlocked and someone coming round and trying all the doors in the neighbourhood).