1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Make your own USB LCD controller!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ch424, 23 Jun 2006.

1. the_snowblood

the_snowblood What's a Dremel?

2. burotech

burotech Burotech - new and fresh ideas

HI CH424

Any comments on my previous post? I have no idea why rotating the knob both ways produces the same effect?

CH424

The encoder gives the same output (A) when rotated both clockwise and anticlockwise. How do we get the (B) Output? The S works fine though( which is basically the on of push switch of the encoder.

I am using the alps rotary encoder with the same pin configuration illustrated in your diagram.

3. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

I don't know what's causing that, sorry. Try re-soldering the connections and checking that you've not accidentally soldered two wires together that you shouldn't have.

4. Erik

Erik What's a Dremel?

Scorpia,

I don't think I sent you all the changes...I am not at home for a couple of days, but I should be able to send you the complete changes (both files) when I get home this weekend. Sorry for the mix-up.

Erik

5. Scorpia

Scorpia What's a Dremel?

Thanks erik,

no rush, im on a couple of other projects atm anyway.

6. HTAluvBeBeo

HTAluvBeBeo What's a Dremel?

hi alex :D Thank you for the idea about USB_LCD.
    I made one on my own with 18f4450. It works great now.
    I got your source code in C18 but I have not seen it yet. I use CCS C as compiler:D so C18 is not familiar with me :D
    Maybe next month, when I'll have free time again, I will add more features like IR to use with Girder, fans controller, temp sensor (ds18s20) and almost components will be smd :D
    I have not designed the PCB yet, all is now on my PIC dev board :)

7. Jacksoft

Jacksoft What's a Dremel?

Hi all!
    I recently bought a PicKit2, and flashed the PIC18F2550 correctly... But unfortunately it wonts work, Windows doesn't recognise the USB type (Like here: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=1533164&postcount=347), and I've readed in some posts that I should configure the Oscillation (at 20KHz) and some Fuses.
    Can anyone help me, please? :(

Thanks

Last edited: 1 Aug 2008
  8. diogoc

diogoc What's a Dremel?

hi! I want make a usb lcd controler forr lcdsmartie with fans controler, temp sensors and ir. you can give some suggestions?
    thanks

9. Erik

Erik What's a Dremel?

In the First post CH424 has a link to an image of his fuse settings. His settings assume a 4Mhz crystal, use the same settings he used, unless you are using a 20 MHz Crystal...then change the one setting to reflect that.

I owe the changed hex/source for the buttons to a couple of people, I will get that out to you in the next day or so, sorry for the delay, I have been traveling for work and have just gotten back into the country.

Take Care,
    Erik

10. Stonewall78

Stonewall78 What's a Dremel?

Erik: Are you just going to post a link to the file or are you emailing it out? I wouldn't mind a copy either way if you don't mind.

11. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Shh...

First of all, I'm glad this thread is still around.

I'd also appreciate a copy of the source code, be it by link or email.

12. Jacksoft

Jacksoft What's a Dremel?

Ah, thanks.... I've found on MPLAB IDE how to change the fuses, now I should try to change also the crystal.
    For now, with the 4MHz crystal, Windows does not recognize it. Also checked all connections and component, but maybe the 220uF capacitor... uhmmm.
    What exactly is the VUSB on the PIC?

EDIT: YEAH! Now Windows recognize it!
    Now someone can explain me how to config LCDSmartie to communicate with the LCD?
    (PS: I have an HD44780 Display)

EDIT2: DONE! All works now!

Thanks to everyone!

Last edited: 12 Aug 2008
  13. Scorpia

Scorpia What's a Dremel?

Thanks Erik

i would still love the complete copy of the buttons code.

Also a while back i got a copy of a modification to do a startup message on the screen.

maybe we should look at combining these changes + others (fuse settings etc) into one lot of code and centralising it somewhere.

CH424. do you mind if this happens?

Scorpia

14. error2061

error2061 9800GX2 is dead long live 280GTX

hi
    i programed the hex file into the pic2550 useing a pickit2 & windows reconises it. (ive used the correct componets but couldnt find the "required programmer config" in the pickit2 programer)
    im running it on vista x64 and the driver for that also seems to work.
    i run lcd smartie and it says failed to initalise matrix.dll

can someone help me please

thanks in advance

also the lcd is a 4x20 and when the usb is connected the display 1st line = off, 2nd line = on, 3st line = off, 4nd line = on

Last edited: 17 Aug 2008
  15. Erik

Erik What's a Dremel?

I have always had to start (plug in) the lcd and then start LCDSmartie. If I do it the other way around, I get the same error. If windows recognizes the device, you should also verify that the settings in LCDSmartie (comm port) is correct.

Not sure about the 4x40 display, never had one to try.

Erik

16. error2061

hi
    windows sees the device as a virtual com port (com3) and thats what ive set to in lcd smartie (9600 baud also) this is very puzzleing ??

also how do you adress the lcd from hyperterminal of telnet

17. Erik

Erik What's a Dremel?

In hyperterminal...I just pick the correct Comm port (comm3 for you), and 9600, 8, n, 1....then connect. Once I connect, as I type, it shows up on the LCD.

If nothing is happening, not sure what the problem is, when the screen is first plugged in, what does it do?

18. error2061

hi ive got hyperterminal up and it says its connected but it doesnt write the charactors to the lcd or the screen ?

as for what is being displayed there is now 1st line = on, 2nd line = off, 3st line = on, 4nd line = off

ive set the contrast to max
    the wire length between the lcd and controller is 30cm

if its programed corectly then the driver would install, therefore i think its programmed correctly, but i just burned the hex file useing the pickit2 without the programer settings but there on the hex file right ?

19. Erik

Erik What's a Dremel?

Something is not quite right. When my screen is first plugged in, the lines are like yours (1st on...2nd off...3rd on...4th off)...but only very briefly, then all lines are blank (off), with the backlight on. Earlier posts shows problems with long wires between the lcd and the controller. I think 30cm may be a bit long.

20. Scorpia

Scorpia What's a Dremel?

Ok first of all the firmware was never designed for a 4x40 display. so you will most likely have issues with this display.

also the cables need to be alot shorter. I had huge issues when my cables were 15cm or longer. i went down to about 5-8cm in length and it was fine.

So if possible try with a smaller LCD and see how it goes.

Scorpia

Tags: