1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Rogue (NZXT Rogue SFF) It lives! Aug 13, '08

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by craigbru, 28 Feb 2008.

1. yeknom

yeknom What's a Dremel?

Wow, the front door looks great.
    I also never thought that smart coils would actually fit in with something, ever.
    By the way, what are you using for thermometers on the front?

2. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Thanks man!
    I owe the coils for making this mod possible. I'd be in for kinks all over the place otherwise... Things are way too tight without them.
    The gauges are from Dakota Digital.

3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

starting to really come together chap, NICE!!! :thumb:

4. nikeunltd

nikeunltd Epic destruction around machinary

OMG NOO!!! ITS ALMOST DONE!! T_T going to be a sad moment when this project is over.

the front door looks absolutely awesome. the attention to detail is beginning to show some light. the power cable, just looks absolutely perfect.

i will stay tuned. *puts on craig-radio*

5. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

Jaw dropping as always!

However, I can't help but think the red on the rad should actually be black, I think it detracts attention away from the rest of the rig and stands out too much, looking out of place.

6. nikeunltd

nikeunltd Epic destruction around machinary

hmm the fans and grills on top are red and the rads on the side are also red, i think its a good tone. but i think the front should have some red stuff also.

7. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

^What they said.:D
    Just kiddin'. It looks great in my opinion.

8. Elio

Elio What's a Dremel?

so the door does exist... funny i thoght you never got to it...
    well it is amazing...and i cant wait to see it finished.
    the HD's connectors are a great Piece of work.love them.
    in the end there will be no wires in the case!!!beautiful illusion!!!
    and the colors are great!no need to change that...waiting for the next update...good luck!

9. ParaHelix.org

ParaHelix.org What's a Dremel?

Keep up the good work mate, it is looking extremely fantastic, very, very inspiring work and the entire community sure do appriciate it.

10. craigbru

Thanks! The door really adds the finishing touch, imho.

I appreciate it man! I'm not sure what I'll do with my time. I know I'll have another project, but it won't be the Rogue. It'll be bittersweet.

Well, the red accents were my experiment in color. I've always been stuck in aluminum and black in the past.

The front will have red accent lighting in the DVD slots, and around the Powermate knob. It should tie together nicely I hope.

Thank you!

Yes, the door is not a myth. I think I last touched it in February... Thanks for the compliments!

Well, I did manage to get quite a bit of work done last night, and I believe I should have the door ready for paint by Sunday. I'll have updates tonight for you all. I've been too busy to upload my pics, but they are coming!

11. craigbru

Okay... so I got a little busy... I'm going to put up a few pics of my progress though, just to show you where I'm headed. I'll have the door ready for paint tomorrow.

I forgot to take few shots, but here is an updated shot of the back of the door. You can see the work I did below with the DVD drive slots. The slots will be lit by LED's and they have pushbuttons through them for activating the drive eject.

[​IMG]

A shot from the front.

[​IMG]

The centerpiece of the front door, is a modified Griffen Powermate. This will act as a mouse emulator for quick and easy adjustments on the pico system. I'll still be using a VPN client, and Synergy, but the Powermate is just another method of control, should I need it.

[​IMG]

The Powermate originally had a blue LED on the bottom, and a change was in order. I've now got a pair of red LED's in place.

[​IMG]

Finally, here are a pair of shots of the Powermate's mounting. This will be attached to the back of the door. In fact, you should see it in the first shot up above.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's it for now, but I should have another update by tomorrow morning!

12. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Excellent work on the front so far mate. Keep it up.

13. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Just all around excellent! :clap: You are getting close. I'm watching this one.
    John

14. craigbru

Thanks guys! I've got an update coming in a matter of minutes!

15. The boy 4rm oz

16. craigbru

Update time! Work has been continuing on the door, and last night I got it painted and ready for assembly. I had a few details to take care of before painting, and I'll cover those things right now.

There were a few areas on the back of the door that I decided to fill with bondo for a better look. The areas on either side of the LCD, and the area above the LED's all got filled. Although I didn't take a pic of it, the LED's sit in a covered pocket. The bondo is just there to smooth out the surface.

[​IMG]

Okay, so I've got a couple of slots in the front door for the DVD drives. What I need is a method of pressing the buttons on the drives. That's where these come in to play. They are the new acrylic buttons for the door.

[​IMG]

Buttons in place

[​IMG]

A test fit on the case. I did have another shot, but I can't locate it now... but the button was made wide enough to cover the status LED on the DVD drive. The button lights up when there is activity on the drive.

[​IMG]

Now we head to the back of the door again. I've test fit the Powermate in the door again, and it fits just as it should. One problem though, I don't want to see the back of it when the door is open. Only one way to fix that. It needs a cover!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's it for now, but tonight I should have the door on the case, and will have progress shots all the way up to that point.

17. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Awesome, Craig. Can't wait to see what ya got. I'm sure you can't either! ;)

18. The boy 4rm oz

I am with E.E.L on this one.

19. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

Fair play! I must admit I forgot about the rads on the side being red as well.

20. craigbru

I'm so close... the rig will be finished tonight! It's a little bittersweet, but it been one hell of a journey...

I'll start off with a picture that I was missing in my last post. Here you can see how the acrylic button lights up with DVD drive activity.

[​IMG]

Now, here's a shot of the area underneath the Powermate knob. I fitted an acrylic ring under there. It will be illuminated by red LED's.

[​IMG]

A shot of the door...

[​IMG]

To finish off the door, here is the freshly painted cover for the back of the Powermate.

[​IMG]

Cover in place...

[​IMG]

Now, I'll head in a different direction for a moment. I decided to cover up the exposed screw threads on the fan assembly.

A bunch of spacers...

[​IMG]

I need to polish them up, so I attached them to a drill.

[​IMG]

Spin and polish!

[​IMG]

Shiny!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More coming tonight!

Last edited: 27 Jan 2009
Tags: