1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Constant Wifi disconnection

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by DeX, 12 Aug 2008.

1. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Recently I seem to be getting disconnected from the net more and more often. I have Netgear WG111v2 USB wifi adaptor and a crappy Actiontec ISP provided router and the connection drops probably about once every 10 minutes. I know that the router often has problems with high lots of traffic and often needs resetting after becoming unbearably slow, however I believe the disconnection is a separate issue as resetting the router does not fix it. I have not changed my setup in about a year so I don't know what could have started causing this...

Does anyone know of any settings or software I might have or not have that could be causing this? Anyone kindly point me the right direction as to which sites or forums to visit to get help?

Thanks!

2. Geektechnica

Geektechnica Minimodder

Sounds like wireless interference. It isn't likely that your ISP left access to the wireless router open, but if they did, try changing the wireless frequency that you're using. If it is closed (likely) try contacting their top level support and having them change the frequency for you.

3. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Hi Thanks for the reply, In fact my landlord owns the router. What do you mean by change the frequency? Have you got any references as to how this might fix the problem?

4. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Is anyone in the area running a pre-n wireless network?

5. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

fankly, the WPN111v2 is not very good. granted, slightly better than the predecessor, but still.

it overheats, crashes and is just plainly irritating.

You can try changing the wireless channel as suggested, and in the UK we have 13 channels as described. To change this you need to have access to the router.

Also, if there are any updated ones, install the lastest drivers from netgear.

This although a cheap adapter has a ra-link chipset. Ra-link provide drivers on their site and update them. It is also has a high gain aerial and a usb extension lead to boot. Their new utility (comes with the drivers from the site) is handy - it can also effectively work as an access point, which is a nice bonus.

And no I don't work for scan or edimax.

6. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

My new Vista box has problems with Actiontec and a D-Link USB dongle. Locks up every hour or so. I just pull the USB dongle, re=insert and move on. Actiontec is the default DSL modem in my area for Qwest. Not the top of the line by any means.
    John

7. thebestnews

thebestnews What's a Dremel?

You could try downloading new drivers and set those drivers to only use wireless "b" i.e. 11mbps only? If you have a broadband connection which is is around 6 meg this setting should be fine . . .

8. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

?

I agree, the WPN111 is crap. DeX is using a WG111 though (same one as me) and they are usually pretty solid. Mine does get a bit toasty though - is yours able to 'breathe', DeX?

9. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

My apologies, a mis read. In general terms tho, netgear stuff overheats a lot and I normally avoid it for the problems it causes.

Tags: