1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: C&C GDI War Factory (*New Video*)+ Ion Cannon (August MOTM)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by milotic858, 18 Jul 2008.

1. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

ah so u have been dont with this for a while and just leading us on into thinking your still working on it =p well cats out of the bag might as well post the rest of the log up :)

2. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

You must have peeked!:nono: Doesn't say here how much. 2nd is good but I will wait for the updates here. Not a back of the book first reader.
    John

3. milotic858

milotic858 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the congrats. I appreciate it.:thumb:

I think I posted back on page 2 that I was entering this contest and the deadline was August 1. My posts have fallen behind, since I was working on finishing the mod. I am doing my best to fill in and add extra pics of this case mod. Plus, I add extra information that I didn’t put on the contest worklog. I am feeling much better now, and will start back up with the posts. :D

**---Top Secret--** I have something in the works that will add to this case mod. I have a major power supply issue.

4. milotic858

Dry fit, prime, and paint for the top crane

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The process was the same for the side of the crane. This is a pic of the side of crane done and primed.
    [​IMG]

Painted a dark red and started to add the detailing.
    [​IMG]

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I peeked ahead too.:D Sorry. I like to know a book is finished before I read it.:thumb: Congrats on your win.

6. jhanlon303

Young people are always in a hurry. You should sit and wait patiently for updates PEEKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry slipped. Just wait, I think it will be cool. It's off to a great start.

John

7. milotic858

A key aspect of this case, and most time consuming, is the intensive detailing. Utilizing 1/16 model striping tape, I marked out each of the panels, lines, and other details by hand. I was careful to measure everything. Even though it isn’t a one to one, I had to make sure that I stayed true to the look of the War Factory. I did my best to make it look as close to the actual War Factory. Spent lots of time playing skirmish matches over and over again.
    Since the white accent details are so small, I had to do all pieces by hand on the case. In some cases, I hade to cut several 1/32 stripes. This allowed me to get a very thin line. I had to get creative in order to add ventilation to my case. I reinforced train tracks to be used for the top of my case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. milotic858

I custom made several important accent pieces that I added to the GDI War Factory. These include replica front lights, fans, grills, vents, and lights. Each pieces was custom made to fit this case mod. Each was cut with a scroll saw or dremel from wood, primed, painted, and details added. I also applied custom vinyl stickers, two matching GDI logos that I made. Since they aren’t available to buy, I had to create these myself. Needless to say, I spent a lot of time playing the game in order to look at the War Factory from various angles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. jhanlon303

10. JBLPL

JBLPL What's a Dremel?

Start looking very nice :D
    *subscribed*

11. p3ri0d

p3ri0d What's a Dremel?

Don't say that!
    There's no age to be a gamer!
    Even if your 100+ years old, you can still be a gamer :thumb:

12. milotic858

:clap:More subscribers:clap:…thanks:D…I am wrapping up the worklog soon, just in time to start something else:eeek:. So, stick around to see how everything comes together.

I agree, you can never be too old to game. It doesn’t have to be computer games all the time. I have a DS with me 24/7.

13. milotic858

Finishing Up Crane Details

After I had each piece painted and detailed it was time to put it all together. I really wanted to make sure that the crane could move. So, I installed track wheels that are similar to those for sliding doors to each side of the crane. I painted a wood dowel to be attached to the base. This allows the crane to be able to move freely back and forth similar to the way it moves in the game.

Attached to the crane is a hooking system that picks up crates and lowers them into the factory. I custom built and detailed these pieces to resemble that of the game. I made sure to pay close attention to detail by adding lines, the number 07, and antennas that are similar to that of the War Factory from the game.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Bluefan

Bluefan test 123

ok, now I'm really impressed :eeek:

15. milotic858

Set 1 of 3 misc. pictures

I have been going through all the pictures that I have taken (there are a lot!) and want to show some misc. before I post the final pics.

This is the template that I used, then I cut it out of balsa wood.
    [​IMG]

I cut out four total. Front and back for two parts.
    [​IMG]

This is the middle part, so that the hooks can sit in between.
    [​IMG]

Pieces primed
    [​IMG]

This is the part that would grab the crates and lower it into the War Factory.
    [​IMG]

Painting it yellow and white.
    [​IMG]

This is the top part of the crane that attaches the grabber to the crane.
    [​IMG]

*** Hint to next project***
    Graphic card for this case
    9800 GX2
    Power Supply
    Silverstone strider 700W

16. milotic858

Set 2 of 3 misc. pictures

More pieces primed
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Detail work on the side of the War Factory

[​IMG]

Small opening in the back for cables
    [​IMG]

Fine Lines I cut by hand that where used for detail work on case. 1/32 –started out as 1/16 then cut it in half.
    [​IMG]

The War Factory has blinking green light on the bottoms. So, I saw this idea on TiTON’s work on his Ironman case. He used wiggly eyes and paint them to look like rivets. Well, I painted them green and used them in place of the lights. http://www.ironmods.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=58&Itemid=1
    http://www.gruntville.com/phpBB2/vi...start=20&sid=b7dfbcadf1123a47e6a74df4bf699c06

[​IMG]

Front flood lights for the War Factory. Very tiny, but nice detail…When the case is on, the internal light will shine through making it look like the lights are on.

[​IMG]

Look for Set 3 of 3 misc. pictures post… I will reveal my next case mod and explain why I will not be getting any sleep all week. :p …it is 2am as I write this.

17. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Nice mod! Attention to detail is awesome and spot-on. How come this log is still ongoing when the rig has been finished over at Modshop? :confused: I knew I'd seen it somewhere! Great work.

18. milotic858

Oh…I am still working on it. :D Adding something to it. :naughty: Plus, posting at modshop is not the same as posting here. Not just a copy and paste sort of thing.

19. milotic858

Set 3 of 3 misc pictures

Small vent covers for top and side of case
    [​IMG]

The finished base
    Applied the rails that the crates will rest on.
    Added the black and yellow caution sticker
    When a vehicle comes out of the War Factory the inside flooring has this design on it.
    The base also has the side rail so the crane can move back and forth

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

--Secret revealed --
    Okay…Here is my big problem and the reason for my next case mod that will accompany the War Factory.

[​IMG]

The 9800 GX2 will fit perfect inside (and looks amazing!)… But the Power Supply – Silverstone Stider 700W will not fit in the small space under the motherboard tray.

So…I had to think of something else to do…

In about 7 days I am going to build the GDI Ion Cannon!!! This will house the Power Supply.
    I started on Sunday and I have Saturday to get it done. Will be going to Lan on Sunday. Wish me luck…who needs sleep anyways. :p

Will post pics of what I have done so far and the finished GDI War Factory this afternoon

20. milotic858

GDI War Factory Complete

I have always wanted to build this case mod because I have such a love for the Command and Conquer game series. I have enjoyed playing since the very first game came out in 1995. Now when I play, I have a great case that will really add to the game experience. Considering this is my first from scratch case mod, I have had a great time bring this case to life. I hope everyone enjoys the final pictures of the complete GDI War Factory.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]