1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia releases PhysX for 8, 9 and GTX 2xx series

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 Aug 2008.

1. karolis

karolis Code Monkey

johnnyboy700, with respect, you don't buy a dedicated ppu because you need it. you buy it because you _want_ it, and that fact alone makes that piece of hardware not pointless.

on a side note, i would still want to see dedicated ppu's in future. people above are talking about getting a cheap graphics card just for physics. some even consider mixing ati and nvidia (doubt it's gonna work, but fingers crossed). ageia dedicated ppu's didn't have this issue. you get it and you get whatever graphics card you want, be it radeon or geforce. you don't even need to occupy/waste pci-e for it (they connect via pci, which is plenty on almost all motherboards). you could even run multiple gpu's in crossfire/sli and still have a dedicated physics processor.

lack of titles? yep. that's a problem. and first reason that comes to mind for this is the requirement of specific hardware to run it (not any more). And i think that now, since a major graphics card manufacturer decided to support it, i would expect for the range of games to expand.

if the new drivers are compatible with the old dedicaded hardware (i hope they are), owners of ageia ppu's will only benefit.

2. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

problem with Vantage mark, is that PhysX API is used part as the CPU test so to max the CPU out (and Low res so that its CPU bound) so when you have an PhysX card or an Nvidia PyhsX driver installed it Inflates the CPU score by an stupid amount (300%) the CPU mark in no way is an 3dmark its purely an cpu streser, that allso inflates the total 3dmark score by about 10% as well (when the PyhsX driver is installed)

3dmark05 was the last 3dmark that did not take the CPU into account as part as the final score they most

likely Bring an patch out so that they disable Hardware API use on Vantage (think you can turn off)

--------
    the Video card it self is for PPu is far more powerful then an PCI PPU card and is not likely to affect an system with 2 video cards in SLI , Vantage CPU test is very exaggerated (think i got that word right) as it has basically no GPU use

Last edited: 14 Aug 2008
  3. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

I downloaded this yesterday and although it is in a separate program from the rest of the nVidia control panel you can set cards to be solely for PhysX. Because I have my 8800GTS running normally and an 8600GT for PhysX. But I downloaded the drivers through the "Geforce Power Pack" link; so it may be different.

4. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Unfortunately I cannot get drivers for mine as Dells drivers are from last year! Does anyone know when drivers for the 8600m GT will be released somewhere? I want the extra levels in crazy machines.

5. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha What's a Dremel?

Yeah I was already aware of how Vantage "thinks" it's PhysX processing is being performed on the CPU and so attributes the increased score to your CPU rather than GPU.

However, that's besides the point, I was simply stating that others have shown it is possible to run an additional Nvidia 8+series as a dedicated PPU; refuting what it states in the article. If you'd looked at the link I posted it was actually for a benchmark of the Nurien tech demo which showed some impressive gains.

6. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

WRONG.

All games need simultaneous exploding of 3000 barrels.

7. Smegwarrior

Smegwarrior Fighting the war on smeg

It is only a 2.7GB download if you go for all the demo's, if you download just the driver it is about 127MB, the Warmonger game is about 400 - 500MB, the folding at home GPU client is a couple of MB, I didn't download any more of it.

8. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Then you've always gotta have that smart-ass game which pushes it with 4000.

9. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Aye, something like.. Crysis 2:Moar Barrels.

10. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Have just installed this on my Desktop, yay for folding, wouldn't work before when I tried it on the GPU, Now instead of 6 days 11 hours for one WU its 2 and a half hours.

11. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

The Badaboom GPU assisted encoding software crashes when i launch it.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 rev. 1.0 (BIOS version F12)
    CPU: Core 2 Duo E6750
    RAM: 4GB Corsair TWIN2x (pretty run of the mill stuff)
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB

Oh and that Java based download manager is really CPU hungry.. the "firefox.exe" process topped at 48% CPU utilization during the downloading.

Last edited: 17 Aug 2008
Tags: Add Tags