1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distributed Nvidia Folding@Home client

Discussion in 'Software' started by Elz, 13 Aug 2008.

1. Elz

Elz miaow

So I've been checking out the new Physx-enabling Nvidia drivers and the Folding @ Home client. But I'm worried because my 280 is now making a nice high-pitch whining noise, which no game has yet managed to induce. Strangely (to me, anyway), if i reduce the percentage use bar in the client all it does it make the whine increasingly intermittent rather than the constant whine I get on 100% - seems like it can't reduce the amount of power it uses, just make the operations more sporadic (but just as intense when they occur???). I'm kind of worried that I may do long term damage to the GPU if I keep it going.

Is anyone else using it? What results are you having?

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

What brand did you buy?

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

what's your power supply?

i hear a small amount of whining, but i identify it as from my PSU rather than the graphics card by putting my ear to each component

4. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

Same here.

WTH is it? screams like hell. i get it (to a lesser extent when i surf the web and scroll a window in IE)

5. Elz

Elz miaow

Yeah to be honest I cannot be ABSOLUTELY sure it's the GPU, but later on I'll remove the covers and stick my head inside the case. It's definitley coming from that area of the case though.

The card is a leadtek, and the PSU is a cortex (i forget which one).

6. Smegwarrior

Smegwarrior Fighting the war on smeg

I was running it last night after trying Warmonger, well today as I spent all last night playing Warmonger. :worried:

It didn't seem to be using much of my PC's resources nor did it seem to tax my Gigabyte 8800GTS 320MB GPU even though I set every option on max in the folding at home client.
    No screaming from the card, the fan doesn't even increase in speed.

Got 1 work job done (took 3 hours) and was going to do more tonight but my PC had a boot disk failure after updating Vista, now I am running Seagate Seatools on the HDD's, 1 HDD won't complete the Vista installation, the other is being tested right now, using my old P3 to type this. :wallbash:

I don't think it was the folding at home client that caused the boot disk failure, I think it was a dying HDD in a RAID0 array. :wallbash:

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Ah well if you had an EVGA or BFG you'd have a 10 year warranty so why worry about killing your card :p Even with the Leadtek you should get 2-3 years.

I haven't even heard of Cortex :S

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i think it's the PSU.

my trusty Corsair Hx620w gives out a very slight whinning that is just audioable above the 100% 8800GTX fan.
    i know this because i've put my ear on top of Antec p182 case: no sound
    put ear at lower back, at PSU output: small whinning sound.

9. Elz

Elz miaow

LOL, sorry I meant Corsair. My brain gets fuzzled sometimes :)

I shall carry on pursuing the folding dream and solving all the world's diseases being comfortable with my warranty ;)

10. Elz

Elz miaow

Ya see, I've got the 900 case so i did the same thing, but the PSU and GPU are pretty close together and what with the exhausts coming out the back as well, i think it's hard to tell.

But anyway I opened up the case and did a few 'flybys' with each ear, and it's definitely the GPU. Here's hoping it doesn't explode...

Tags: