1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Mithril (9/2/09, I'm not as daft as I thought...)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by KayinBlack, 3 Jan 2008.

1. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

3850s, 48s are VERY tempting but we've gone through real financial difficulty and as it stands I may not even be able to afford video card blocks. My mother-in-law's transplant has depleted our funds and I'm having issues with casting as well...

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Thats sad to hear. I hope everything goes alright with that for you, and best of luck :thumb:

3. KayinBlack

[​IMG]

One side on...

And I'm ready for water on the CPU...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. KayinBlack

In Ages past, the mightiest of all men lived, one Turin Turambar, son of Hurin. Many mighty deeds were ascribed to him, but ciefest was the slaying of Glaurung, both a great feat and a great evil, for in slaying Glaurung, he learned the truth of the identity of his bride Niniel, and all found their doom there by the falls. Glaurung, slain by Gurthang, which Turin turned on himself after learning that Niniel was his sister Nienor and was carrying his child. Nienor leapt to her death into the Brithiach, and no man marked where her body came to rest.

With that to set the tone, the latest WIP-The Death of Glaurung...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sides have to be profiled down, and the trees are having green glass cut for the leaves. Lots of work, but worth it.

This side has so far absorbed 20 hours. I see about that many to completion.

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

MMM stained glass! I loveSG! I wanted to get plexi like that.:(

6. Gup

Gup What's a Dremel?

Damn nice project and nice use of material!!:thumb:
    I was just wondering if anything from inside will be visible as it would be a shame if you couldnt see the watercooling parts you made?

7. KayinBlack

You know, sometimes enough just isn't enough.

[​IMG]

However...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the price I paid to get the fastest stock ATX-format AMD board ever.

I got copper, I got taps, I got solder, and I got pipe. It's modding time.

8. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Very nice :p.

But only Crossfire now?

9. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Why spend so much on second best...?

10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I've had this problem with NewEgg before on open box items. It's a safe bet they KNOW the items are bad. They are generating profit off the restocking fee on returns. I doubt it even works.
    RMA is possible...I mean they shipped it out without a NB heatsink for f*cks sake. They will gladly take it back and charge %15. (You pay to ship it back too. I'm starting to read return policies before I buy anything finally.)

11. KayinBlack

Yeah, but it's pretty sure this will work with the sink replaced and those two pins fixed.

p3n, you should check the benches that matter-in most server benches, these guys still pwn-and will do so until the dual-socket Nehalem variants drop. In virtualization (which is a part of this one's intended usage) it rips the intels a new one, as well as on memory bandwidth.

Oh, and guys, it's SLi. I have cards on hand already.

12. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Kayin, what board is that anyway?

13. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

Hate to break it to ya, but unless AM2+ has changed since last time I saw it, that's NOT an AMD board.

CPU Retention like that makes it Intel...

14. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Last edited: 18 Aug 2008
  15. KayinBlack

Yeah, I'm contemplating just sending it back and getting another, that missing sink worries me more and more...

16. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

So *THAT*'s what SocketF looks like. And it's being deprecated anyway (IIRC, and for the 4x4 "platform". I dunno if they're still using it for Opterons, you don't hear much about them these days, apart from that another OEM has started making Opteron servers)...

17. KayinBlack

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Text to come tonight...

18. KayinBlack

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Have fun watching the assembly of the case, thus far...

So much to do, so little time...

19. Darkraven

Darkraven What's a Dremel?

Bet Bilbo and Froto would approve. Would have looked good in their Hobbit hole.:lol: Too bad they sailed off, you could have sold it to Froto.

20. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Nice work on the case so far. I just found this log, and read it start to finish. I think the log could use a bit more work though. There's a lot of unanswered questions that you start to say you'll answer, or hints with no followthrough. (I don't think I missed any posts, but if I did, I apologize for the criticism (call it constructive!))
    For example, what the hey is up with your 'leonidas'? Was cheapskate right about the glitter filled res? :) What about some more info on your casting technique (or links to projects where you explain more, or good references u use), or the engraving/leafing techique. I know you're a busy guy, with a lot going on (hope the teeth/jaw are well, and the in-law, too, and the dog, and the fish... :D) and other threads happening (like the cooling one), but a bit of followthrough in response to readers input would be HIGHLY appreciated.

On the happier side, I admire/envy your artistic skills! That engraving/leafing is fantastic. Your casting and self made stuff rocks (I like the marbled/crazed look of the splitters, etc.) The story telling (which has dropped off) was good for context/theme. That hardware is gonna be crazy.

... Please, oh please tell us a story, Mr. Frodo... I wanna hear the one about how the crazy modder built the Mithril Case!

PS, you gonna get some wheels/forklift for that thing?

Respectfully, an eager, inexperienced modder.