1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4850 TOXIC

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 19 Aug 2008.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

It's amazing that a simple cooler upgrade can push videocards to new heights. Makes you wonder why A(MD)TI / Nvidia use such ridiculous cooler solutions and letting cards run worrying high temps in the first place...

3. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Exactly - an extra meaty cooler means much higher clock - you'd think with millions of dollar of R&D they'd be wise to this by now. I'd love to see some custom air coolers for the GTX 2xx series too - the 48xx's can, for the most part, just use 38xx custom coolers.

4. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Nice to see a 4800 series card with a manufacturers fitted Zalman cooler! Shame about the price though!

Manufacturers fitted Zalman coolers seem to be rarer these days which is a crime if you ask me, quite a few manufacturers used to do them. Hopefully they will bring out a 4870 with one fitted, saves voiding the warranty to get good temps with a quiet fan!

Ati & Nvidia should get someone like Zalman to help them design a decent reference cooler that is both quiet and offers decent temperatures, most reference coolers at the moment are a joke!

Last edited: 19 Aug 2008
  5. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Note that fitting an after-market cooler these days doesn't neccessarily void a warranty, since some of the manufacturers will still honour it so long as you didn't damage the card in the process. (evga for one) Though it may well be that as well as generally shorter warranties, the amd partners are less generous in areas like this.

6. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

7. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

You sure? I guess if they don't know then that's fair enough but some manufacturers really don't like it. I remember one manufacturers site (I forget which one) has a gallery of images showing voided graphics cards.

8. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

9. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Am I the only person who's not really had any cooling problems with a 4850? My stock 4850 idles at 55-60 degrees; the fan is never on at idle either.. I guess I must be lucky to have really good airflow in my case or something..

10. Xir

Xir Modder

...waiting for a 4870 with a decent cooling solution...

11. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I'm hopefully watercooling my 4870 when I get it so no worries here.

Still, it looks like a great card. It's not often it's worth getting a non-reference card.

12. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

dammit!

Finally a 4850 without any dumb pictures of Ruby on it, and they make it blue! ATI should stick to red alltogether IMHO.

Anyway, it's still a good looking bit of kit, and seems well worth the extra money.

Richard, is there any way you could ask Sapphire A question for me? Have they aquired some sort of "golden sample" of better overclockers (close to centre of the wafer, pre-tested, etc etc) to build these cards, or are they using standard chips?

13. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Whats the point in testing a mid range card on a Core 2 Extreme?.

I want to know what the performance will be on a sensibly priced C2....

Anyone who can afford a C2 Extreme, isnt (shouldnt) be putting a 4850 with it.

14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

To try and eliminate any system bottleneck as much as possible, so we can have like-for-like comparisons between all the cards tested at BiT, without the effects of the rest of the system coming into the mix.

In the end, you'll never replicate these results at home anyway.

15. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

We're testing the card, not the system. For us to be able to compare every card fairly, we have to try and remove any other limiting hardware factor, be it CPU, memory or otherwise - hence the high end setup and why we try to use GPU intensive tests (like our core demo in Crysis) and not CPU intensive ones (E.G Company of Heroes)

16. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

As mentioned above, bring on the 4870's with the decent coolers and thats where my money goes. Maybe we should wait for the forthcoming Sapphire online shop, some time in September if I recall correctly, that offers various extras and add ons.

17. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

But these results will mean nothing to the 99% of people who will run a 4850 with a mid range C2 CPU....

You should do a secondary set of results with such a mid range system that a 4850 is likely to be inside.

18. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

well, as said by krikkit, you'll never duplicate these results at home.

DONT use these numbers as a way to decide which setup you need to buy to get a certain FPS count. The numbers are only a way to compare cards to eachother, they mean nothing else.

Even if you buy identical setups, your PC at home might run a little hotter, lose efficiency because of antivirus software, etc etc etc.
    The tests conducted are fine and really helpful if you know how to interpret the results :)

19. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

That and running 2 tests takes twice as long.

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No, because most people who buy Q6600s (of which there are MANY!!) will run them at 3.0GHz - that's a simple overclock from 1066MHz FSB to 1333MHz FSB. It's entirely applicable, and anyway - it's apples to apples explaining the differences on a particular system :)

Correct! Never ever take our reviews to give you a certain FPS count - we do real world testing so the chances are that unless you play the exact same level with the exact same settings the exact same way Tim and Harry does, it won't directly reflect. Real World testing gives you a precise idea of actual game numbers, and the way we do them is consistent (after plenty of retests along the way) but you can't use them to scale actual FPS, just "this is actually 5/10/50% faster than this in this game".

:)

Tags: Add Tags