1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the most unlikely game that scared you?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Loom, 14 Aug 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Rich hates you now. For some reason he loathes that game.

2. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Stalker messed with me bad. I'd play it for a few hours and then couldn't get it out of my head to get to sleep.

Still need to finish it too. Damn.

3. Cobol to Java

Cobol to Java Online Hobo

AVP

AVP - loved it..It was scary, that's what made it really cool.

I usually play with my headphones playing some nice reggae music. It's the sound/music that usually starts to give you some shivers....thats why I play some background sounds on winamp to flood out the game music.

4. Loom

Loom What's a Dremel?

Good replies! However most are not about *unlikely* games but the obvious scary ones. Am I the only one that got a fright playing an adventure game?

5. Jackypoos

Jackypoos Will it blend?

Return to castle Wolfenstein made me jump, about half way through I think. I screamed like a girl!

6. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

We have a winner.

7. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Resident evil (i think it was 2... not 100% sure)... got me the 5th time around still... walking down the corridor and "CRRRAAAASH" those dogs come in... p*** myself every time...

other than that, The darkness had me pretty close at times, and Doom3 right at the beginning when that DAMN scientist comes out behind the pipes asking you what you're doing "down there" - gets me every time as well...

8. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

Original Half Life did it, not as bad as some of the genuinely scary ones, but bits where lights go out or the floor gives way. There were a few sections where I actually hesitated to turn a corner despite having a shotgun in hand.

Diablo 2 got quite tense the 2nd time I fought Diablo, 1st time was in a party of 8 and it was hard. 2nd time I went alone with an immense feeling of futility.

I got to Ravenholm 2nd time round on HL2 then turned off as DOG let me down the tunnel, I remembered I didnt like it and wont play through it :p. Same goes for bits of HL2:EP1.

On the more predictable side Res Evil had me to a point where I stopped playing, still haven't got back to it. Doom 3 scared me off for a bit, then I sussed the game's mechanics and it got boring.

9. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

episode two when waiting for the elevator in the dark, i hate them jumpy screaming zombies

10. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

i second those zombies. hate tehm sooo much. Espcially in Episode 2, and in the sandtraps level in hl2.

11. donnie

donnie Moddin' my way out of a paper bag

I remember playing the demo of Half Life and being scared after climbing a ladder only to find a nasty zombie waiting oh and those head crabs the first play through (evil little beggers), but going back further than AVP was Alien Trilogy on the saturn, the creepy "help me" from the bodies in the walls caused me a few sleepless nights.

12. freedom810

freedom810 Minimodder

Yeah people told me stalker wasnt very scary so i decided to buy it, not soon after i was crapping myself in those bunkers.
    The whole game had a creepy feel to it, it was good but I'm not sure if I buy the next one or not.

13. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

Is it just me... or has there not been a good scary game released in a long, long time? Not even an attempt at a scary game!

14. Dazbo666

Dazbo666 What's a Dremel?

Doom 3 is the only one that springs to mind... playing it in the dark, on my own, when someone knocks at the door and our dog jumps out from under my chair, barking, and scaring the sh** out of me!!! LOL

15. Gooey_GUI

Gooey_GUI Wanted: Red Shirts

Travian - http://www.travian.com/

I spent weeks building up my realm and armies. Nay, months. Then, a huge number of attacks came at me from many hours away. My cable connection went belly up about 4 hours before the attack would arrive. I was so frantic that I called a friend in another state at 4AM to move my armies and resources - to time it for the attack.

As long as I played that game, I slept in short shifts to keep checking my game because there was so much time needed for the troops to move to and fro. I guess I was in a bad alliance, but the game really breaks down when people leave and pass on their passwords to other players. The other alliances would infiltrate the team's forum to spy very easily.

Maybe scared is not the closest image most people make, but when you put that much time into something it really pumps the adrenaline for way too many hours that are mostly worry. :sigh:

16. CardJoe

The start of Fahrenheit (Aka Indigo Prophecy) had me pretty unnerved. After you played it a few times and saw how differently it could go, the whole 'Escape the murder scene' thing was pretty creepy.

17. CardJoe

Condemned 2.

Brr.

18. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

WoW got me panicing a few times i got so immersed that when the horde chased me (or a big dragon for that matter) and started running i really was running/fighting for my life

19. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

The 'Alien Swarm' mod for UT2k4 succeeded in making me and four of my mates scream like little girls at a LAN one night - chavvy beats thumping out of the stereo, us running through deserted bases together and being chased by far too much gribbly. Not to mention the guy with the flamer who didn't always aim well...

I'd like to point out that dance music isn't my regular listening, but it worked so well in a dark room with skittering claws in every headphone to get your pulse racing!

20. keef247

keef247 Modder

first condemned owns... the bit when he turns round at the end was soooo good.getting 2nd when i'm not skint... heard mixed opinions though:\ demo looked ok only played for like 5seconds though lol

Last edited: 22 Aug 2008