1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress ****** PHINIX CUBE ******* - the one and only:)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by phinix, 3 Dec 2007.

1. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Hello again... I didn't have time to work on my cube for pretty long time, but last week I came back to this project and here's what I did so far...

To make it more fututre proof I had to change the hole for PSU - I will push it a bit to back, gaining 5mm that way - It will be moved till back black panel, so it will go through the main clear acrylic 5mm panel. I'm going to buy Coolermaster 850W PSU which is longer than Enermax I have now. I will need that 850W for 2 new 55nm GTX 290 (wow..) in SLI:)) When of course hopefuly DFI will come out with that mATX SLI mobo so day this year....

So, here is new lines on back panel, before cut...

[​IMG]

And after cut and file.. still need to be polished...

[​IMG]

pressed against the wall, more clear maybe..

[​IMG]

This is one of the side black panels, 3mm tined black, which will cover whole cube. This one is right side panel. I did it all with my hands and pack of metal files.. a lot of work.... Now thinking to order rest of the panels to be cut in CNC....:)

After cut..

[​IMG]

..and after all edged been filed.. still need polish....

[​IMG]

..against the wall:)

[​IMG]

That is it for now... I will come back this week with something REALLY cool! You'll see....

here's a small teaser:))))

[​IMG]

BIOHAZARD BABY!!! :))

Last edited: 11 Aug 2008
  2. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Nice update. Excellent plexi work.

3. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Hey phinix! Glad to see you back at it! The update looks great!

4. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Thanks. Plexi is a material that is very hard to work with. But results can be pretty impresive. When I think that I need to make another same panel for left side and one for top... getting a headache..

Thanks Craig! Glad to be back:)

5. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I ordered another two panels of that black tinted plexi. Got them today, Started to raw second side panel, will cut it tomorrow. Now I need an idea for top panel. It will be open enough to show two GTX280 in SLI and watercooling CPU and GPUs ... Not many combination there, Like black frame actually... cannot leave a lot fo black plexci on the top, it would ruin all the view.... hmm...

6. Sheldog23

Sheldog23 What's a Dremel?

very cool. I love acrylic cubes.

7. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Thanks!

SO.. today I was cutting another side panel and.. burnt my dremel..:(
    I need new one, or just try to work with jig saw.. but that can be little bit hard, cutting those small elements...

8. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Another small update: cut some more parts. Cut to shape that second side panel, which still need to be filed and polished, like other parts anyway.

[​IMG]

Also made a new radiator bracket from black plexi - this time only it will hang over the bottom panel - it will be screwed to left support columns. I just couldn't look at those redish/pinkish stands...

All measured and planned..

[​IMG]

...and after cut - using jig saw, after burning down my dremel:(

[​IMG]

Last part is 4 elements for dvd cover - changed my mind again about that - color of the plexi doesn't matter - it will be glued and screwed together and covered with chrome tape. It will be mounted at the top of the cube.

Measured and planned..

[​IMG]

..and after cut..

[​IMG]

I had to take apart my "temporary" case (showed that before, mobo and PSU on bottom panel, no side panels - used after I sold Sugo case).
    Now had to take it cause I need all parts of the cube to upgrade anything - for measures and general look and fold. Because do not have any other case right now, I made something very quickly from wood:) Please do not laugh:))

[​IMG]

Well, hey! Its made of wood, right? It looks like its popular making cases from wood:))

9. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Sweet! Good to see ya back at it, mate.

10. The boy 4rm oz

Plexi pieces are looking fantastic. Love the test bench.

11. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Thanks guys! I'm also glad I'm back doing this cube. Of course still cannot find time to have fun with this mod, but always trying to do sth every day. At least I can see the end of this mod soon:) Well.. hopefully:)

12. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Another Update today!

Remember this small teaser???

[​IMG]

I received a package from Chilled PC Tom with nicely cut letters and biohazards signs. As I promised, here's the real beauty that will glow on side panels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's side panel and letters and bio inside it:)) Well, I love it! How about you guys????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Couldn't resist to make some more pictures, so all for you here.. enjoy. Till next time...

13. Nooby4Ever

Nooby4Ever 2 left hands

very nice, can't wait to see them on the case

14. The boy 4rm oz

Now that looks bloody fantastic. The black goes great with that red plexi.

1 question. Did you cut those pieces yourself or get them laser cut?

15. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Black panels I cut myself with jig saw and files. Letters and bios are cut on CNC (Chilled PC Tom did that). I couldn't do it cause they are so small.. letter is 15mm high, bio is 80mm, its impossible to cut those thin edge ends of bio symbol in hands.. that is why had to oreder them to be cut on CNC. They look fantastic, as you said:) Now, I wanted to put them on separated clear acrylic rectangle behind clear side panel, inside cube. There would be counting from outside: 3mm black side panel, 5mm main clear side panel, then inside about 1-2cm from that clear panel small rectangle with those letteres, screwed to the main clear one. But now I think I'm going to glue all: letters and bio to the main clear 5mm panel, so it will be in the same level as black panel.
    What do you think?

16. The boy 4rm oz

Good idea. If they weren't flush there would be a chance of the letters and symbol getting broken off. It would also look more pro flush.

17. skullen

skullen Minimodder

Nice one phinix,looking good :thumb:

18. Macros_the_Black

Macros_the_Black Yup.. I'm a f-ing reptile

19. BlackWhizz

BlackWhizz What's a Dremel?

Superb work!

20. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Thanks guys !!!

Here's another update: Between side panels filing I decided to change mobo tray. Unfortunately 3mm wasn't enough and after a while it started to bend - not much, but I didn't like it. So ordered 5mm dark acrylic sheet and started to "rewrite" the whole idea on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have already cut it now I'm filing it, a LOT of work with 5mm of acrylic. Will show you the result soon.

Second thing I want to show is finished radiator back panel, mounted it and it fits perfectly! :clap:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last thing is dvd cover - Finally decided to leave acrylic side strips and went for aluminum U shapes - It was easier to fabricate and a lot better for keeping all things in shape.

After hours of filing, cutting and drilling I have this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

..and with dvd inside...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now - it loks terrible but don't worry - I will cover it with chrome sticky tape/film - same as used before so it will lokk nice:)
    I will do it tonight!!!

Also - I ordered few last things I need for this project (except leds - will be here next week).
    Its new fan controller I'm going to use, IDE to SATA slim dvd converter - I passed on that IDE-IDE thing - didn't like the thick cable - SATA will look a lot better I think...

Like Christmas...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last part I ordered was brand new pump/block - same af first one:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tha would be it for now. I'm working on that mobo tray and dvd cover right now. Will show you it as soon as I finish.

STAY TUNED !!!

Last edited: 5 Sep 2008