1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Next Gen, What Next?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by shigllgetcha, 20 Aug 2008.

1. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I am not impressed by graphics nowadays because they are so badly balanced. They can render certain effects perfectly but yet all the textures of natural elements like earth, rocks or plants are rubbish and blurry. To make things better, they need to be able to render believable environments in nature

if you take a look at this screenshot from crysis : http://www.inbox.net.mk/wp-content/2006/10/crysis.jpg

you can see that the ground looks like a quake3 texture ... The foliage also looks like total crap.

What also needs to be improved is how they render human skin. For a few years now the characters have been looking like they're in some sort of plastic coated with wax. It looks stupid

2. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Someone's been playing without AA. ;)

Also, I've heard there's going to be beefy ARM chips in your TVs in the future!

3. EPiRATE

EPiRATE Sailing teh Interwebz

That crysis screen looks horrible. Invest in a better pc, turn the settings up to Very High, then eat your own words XD

4. knuck

knuck Hate your face

It has nothing to do with AA, it's AF that's responsible for this. The textures are still crappy however

1. agreed

2. it's not my screenshot and it's not my pc. I have seen the game on another pc however and wasn't impressed

5. OldSnakeWontDie

OldSnakeWontDie What's a Dremel?

Well technically Crysis has only used full Quality on an AMD 12-core prototype. SO I doubt anyone can run it on full without lag right now.

6. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

yeh i remember playing street racer on the mega drive thinking this is about as good as its going to get then like you tomb raider blew me away, had a little go on tr not long ago i couldnt believe how dated it looks now

7. p3ri0d

p3ri0d What's a Dremel?

Yes, your AA is not on, you can see it on the soldiers ;) (I said "your" even though I know it's not yours :) )

8. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Crysis can look a hell of a lot better than that, but I agree textures are a limitation now. Or, rather, not having the resources to model every single pebble which leaves them looking flat and unimpressive.

9. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

boobs will bounce even more realistically.
    blood will spurt like real blood!
    cars in NFS fourt hundred and twenty seven will have their tyre tread depth geometry accurately modelled and altered in real time!
    the vast majority of games will remain to show a shockingly low level of emotional depth!

all this and more! IT'S THE FUTURE OF VIDEOGAMING.

10. Matticus

Matticus ...

One thing I need more in games is attention to detail.
    Theres no point having the fanciest graphics on earth if small things looks out of place.

Take COD4 for example, in the car at the beginning if you look in the rear view mirror it is just the same pic, it doesn't change as it should and easily could. And if I remember rightly the speedo doesn't move either.

Instead of making the obvious things look better they should bring the rest up to the same level. Then once they have got that done, hire more or better script writers, and make some awesome well rounded games.

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

QFT.

Unless we all end up looking like we've been shrink wrapped in the next few years, I want to see some decent skin textures.

12. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Paralax mapping for the wrinkles. :D

13. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I like where this is going :D

14. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

You have to force AF on in the drivers link.

15. Timmy_the_tortoise

Got AF forced at 16x in CCC.. Crysis Demo looks SWEEEEET.

16. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

moving the view in FPS's by moving your own head would be interesting

17. Timmy_the_tortoise

Been done.

18. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Also wouldn't work very well since if you move your head you'd no longer be looking at the screen :p

19. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

i mean looking at the edges to turn the view on screen:p not turning away from the screen

20. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Nah, you want the screen attached to your head so it replaces your view with what's in the game. The trouble is, it's sort of been done by Virtuality years ago (albeit with incredibly poor graphics at the time) and it wasn't a huge success. People just want to sit (or stand) in front of a screen and play. I can only see graphics getting better, with intricacies involving physics coming to the fore, e.g. thousands of leaves on the ground that move realistically and could be kicked up or thrown about. I am wowed over the recent fluid physx demo.

Joypads could evolve, but they'll want to kept handheld. What else are fingers useful for? :)