1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware OCZ Vendetta 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 22 Aug 2008.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/08/22/ocz-vendetta-2/1

OCZ is back to settle the score with the Vendetta 2 heatsink. With a larger low noise 120mm fan, and even more cooling fins, it promises to improve on the original Vendetta and then some! We strap it into the bit-tech test rig and find out if the Vendetta 2 can settle its feud with the competition.

:brrr:

2. murtoz

murtoz Busy procrastinating

*cough cough* thermalTAKE ultra-120 extreme!?!
    nice review though :)

3. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

Could i ask exactly how difficult to install? I'm in the market for a new heatsink but if its going to break my motherboard installing the thing then i'll just get a Freezer 7 pro.

4. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Well it almost does break the mobo in half seeing the pic on the Intel chip based board. Do it the right way and buy a noctua or u120 extreme

5. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

that is a piss poor mount,

bindi dose the mount look as if it could be modified to be a bolt through, i can get a back plate made easy enough.

6. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

out of budget mate

7. ParaHelix.org

ParaHelix.org What's a Dremel?

...Just another heatsink.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yes, like all LGA775 pushpin mounts can be modified: http://www.richardswinburne.net/2005/3

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

cough, cough :)

excellent performance for money though.

10. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

"Lets just make it even a bit more like the Xigmatek HDT-S1823 and it'll be better.." -OCZ team

Nah, it's just OEM-manufacturers and branding, but just seems kinda funny every now and then :)

11. naokaji

naokaji whatever

all those towerheatsinks are a pain in the rear to install.
    most cases (even with slideout mobotrays) require that you install the cooler inside the case since they are too high to slide the mob tray back in with the cooler installed (installing on mobo and then putting mobo is no option either since the access to one of the mainboard screws is not possible with the cooler installed).
    also, everything gets in the way of each other part.
    You have to put it on the mainboard without the fan installed, because otherwise you cant access the mounting mechanism. but then you have to go through the pain of attaching the fan, wich sucks because the nb heatsink will get in the way, then lets not forget that the fan and ram often creates spacing issues.
    and then those stupid pushpins... slicing fingers on fins guaranteed (thx god for modding).

seriously, heatsinks are just too big for atx mainboards these days. watercooling Cheesecake, ek supreme has none of those issues.

12. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Hmm... What's the weight of this thing now? On the front page it's stated at 520g, which made me read the article in the first place, since I'm only interested in CPU coolers weighing a max. of about 500g. Then on the third page it's stated that the cooler weighs 746g, which makes sense since even the original Vendetta weighed about 600g. Confused I am...

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Sorry!! My fault. It should be 746g. I had to redo the top of the first page due to an editing mistake and forgot to change it.

14. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I've not heard of anybody damaging a board fitting this and similar sinks - you'd need to be really, really, clumsy. The danger is transporting a PC fitted with a tall, heavy sink held on by push-pins, so if you go to LAN parties transport it on its side or get a backplate.

To ensure the push-pins are correctly locked the HS instructions are likely to advise fitting the sink with the motherboard outside the case, so you can inspect the reverse side. This makes fitting very easy, though to fit the motherboard you then need a 6" screwdriver.

My Scythe Ninja 'B', used in thousands of systems, also relies on push-pins as-sold, and weighs 665g without fan. The Vendetta 2 Xigmatek HDT-S1283 is 600g without fan.

15. zoom314

zoom314 Minimodder

Now all OCZ needs to do is try and get a fourth heatpipe in there and make It work correctly and have It support all AMD and Intel cpu sockets, Oh and a thermalright 775 bolt thru kit will work wonderfully and costs about $5 before ups here in the USA.

16. tomomi

tomomi What's a Dremel?

Tags: Add Tags