1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Brand new iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'Software' started by NoahFuLing, 20 Jul 2008.

1. NoahFuLing

NoahFuLing What's a Dremel?

So I arose this morning bright and early, and headed down to the store to see if I could obtain the latest shiny gewgaw. It turns out that there were only two left, and my father and I were the first two in line! We each obtained... well, you'll see. (If the images are a problem, I can resize/fix them. Let me know.)

[​IMG]
    What is this? Is it a bag? Is it a box? All we know for sure is that it is white...
    [​IMG]
    It's a bag, and it appears to contain a white 16GB iPhone! (They only had 2 white 16GB iPhones, and we don't really care about color, just capacity.)
    [​IMG]
    The box inside... It's also white, what a coincidence.
    [​IMG]
    Ah, the contrast. A beautiful black screen on a white plastic bed. It looks nice.
    [​IMG]
    Surprisingly, the white back doesn't look all that bad. It looks even better when covered in a case!
    [​IMG]
    See what I mean? The Speck PixelSkin is actually pretty nice, and very squishily protective.
    [​IMG]
    The front when off. The case isn't very noticeable. I need the anti-glare screen protector to cut down on smudges.
    [​IMG]
    Non-blurry but hard to see.
    [​IMG]
    Blurry but much, much shinier. Yes, I installed Tap Tap Revenge, as well as some other apps. Did you guys know that Mocha VNC Lite is amazing? I can access my PC/Mac from the iPhone! I'll post more pics of phone or Mocha VNC Lite if anyone wants to see them. Thanks for paying attention to my geeky pride!

EDIT: Sorry, thought I resized them to be smaller. Also, does anyone else have an iPhone 3G? Is it your first iPhone or second?

Last edited: 20 Jul 2008
  2. NoahFuLing

So I switched to an iPhone black, and I was in NYC yesterday seeing Dark Knight in IMAX. I discovered that the iPhone black is actually very dark blue in bright light! It's a sort of navy blue, or violet if you look hard enough. Now, this makes sense because there is no true black coloration, just very dark combinations of red, blue, and green, but it's still funny to discover this while making a phone call. (Sorry, it doesn't come out in pictures.)

3. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

I just sold my 1st gen iPhone. Too many issues with it that I don't see Apple fixing. Picked up an ATT Tilt. Which everybody thinks is funny because I'm not really a Windows person. I don't really like the iTunes store approach to the apps, too many "flashlight" apps, not enough real apps. Though the vnc app was cool, I had the full version. The bluetooth stack is crippled, bluetooth headsets only. You can't tether it without hacking it, and then only over wifi. No real keyboard, I didn't think this would be an issue, until I used the on screen keyboard for a while. No mms. No real document viewing support. It's a cool phone, just not what I'd consider a "smart" phone. I do miss the screen though.

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

The old jailbreak VNC app was a lot better than Mocha - more stable, better interface, etc. Though there was just an update, so maybe it's gotten better recently.

5. Kierax

Kierax What's a Dremel?

I love my iPhone 3G only the 8GB model but more than enough for me.

6. NoahFuLing

I agree with you about the App Store, there are far too many useless apps (many of which cost money, too! :p) and apps that are non-functional. I'm disappointed with the Bluetooth issues too, but for many people, including me, it's just fine. The same goes with tethering, as the "real web" experience on the phone negates most of it (and tethering costs a lot of money for the plan and even more if you're caught siphoning). The keyboard is actually decent, although I miss tactile feedback of any kind. It's a personal thing, some like it, some don't. The 2.0 firmware is much better at document viewing, so much so that I actually used it to read up on a science journal on the train. It's really a individual thing about liking it, and what you're looking for in a phone.
    The update fixed a lot of stability issues, and the JB VNC app has some real issues with the interface (although I like it better). It works for what it needs to.
    :p iPhones are fun, are they not?

7. kempez

kempez modding again!

iPhones are fun, even better if you grab a case @ bestskinsever, mine looks superb with one on, can hardly tell it's got a full-body protective case on it

Grats on the phone mate, they are very good :D

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

bought my iPhone 2G 8GB from the guy posted above me ^^^. loving it :)

firmware 2.0.2 jailbroken, unlocked to use Vodafone.
    very good phone, shame about headphone jack (which is fixed in 3G), but kempez was kind enough to give me a free adaptor. apart from that and the weak speaker, i find no need for me to get 3G at all.

don't like the plastic back, and no actual hardware specification improvement on 3G iphone, also, no means of unlocking 3G iphone. i'll be waiting for an upgraded RAM with ability to have multiple apps open, and then i'll upgrade to the newest unlock-able iPhone. until then, original iphone is mine!

by the way, have a look at Teleport in Appstore. it's a bit expensive, but a LOT better than Mocha VNC. it makes the whole touch screen like a laptop pad, everything feels so natural.
    there's also Face Melter for some funny face.
    for those who have jailbroken their phone, have a look at MxTube, superb YouTube downloader. also, have a look at videorecorder, it records video at 15FPS via iPhone camera, and after recording, compress video to very small managable size, and even uploads directly to youtube.

9. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

My friend bought a 3G recently and it appears that they've sorted the minor niggles I had when I had the original... So I reckon I'll be getting the new one soon (contract exp. 11th Oct 2008)... does anybody know if there'll be a red one coming soon :p?

For peculiar some reason, you can get a free Spirit Level app :p so in case you were building some furniture, and you happened to have lost your trusty spirit level, you can just pop your iPhone on instead...

10. NoahFuLing

The real GPS, 3G radio, etc. were big decisions in waiting for the iPhone 3G, as I use the GPS a lot and 3G coverage is fantastic when it works. I am a bit sad that it's not unlockable yet. The "single app open" thing is a "limitation" in the OS itself, it was a choice by Apple to prevent battery-sucking daemons and spyware-esque applications. I doubt they'll go back on their word later, which is the motivation behind the notification service. Personally, I like the fact that only 1 app can be open at a time, unlike battery-chewing Windows Mobile.
    Jailbroken apps are usually much more fun, but I can't get jailbreaks to hold, so I just live without them. :waah:
    The 3G fixes a lot of problems that were prevalent on the original iPhone, and having used the first gen for long periods of bored time in Physics/Study Hall/Math and the current gen for over a month, I can say with certainty that the new iPhone alleviated a lot of issues. I wish there was a red one, or a 32GB at time of release... :sigh: Oh, and since the back isn't flat, the spirit level is a pain to use.

11. kempez

kempez modding again!

The 3G fixes problems and causes some too. Battery life is a bit short compared to the 2G, even if you turn off 3G reception. I have noticed a big improvement in 3G connectivity lately in my area, but I think this is perhaps due to O²'s staged 3G-2G replacement masts rather than the phone itself (not installed very latest firmware yet). The GPS is pretty cool and works fairly well even in a car which is cool. The weird thing I found from 2G>3G is that the phone feels a lot smaller and actually does feel nicer to hold...and it's lighter. Personally I think on a phone you don't need more than one app open and seeing as the iPod plays when you do most stuff and e-mail automatically updates itself whenever you set it to I don't find it an issue at all.

I am finding a lot of freezing with the browser on some websites which is annoying, at least the phone simply closes the browser instead of screwing up now though. Hopefully future updates will address this.

Couple of pics of mine with the skin on:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. tominated

tominated What's a Dremel?

mum said i might be able to get one this saturday! whoooo!

13. wyx087

kempez, what are those on the corners of your 3G iphone?

added 3G speed, a-GPS, plastic back, better speaker, headphone jack for all. what else is there for 3G iphone compared to 2G iphone?

14. kempez

kempez modding again!

Umm you just named them! It's not loads better, just better in a few nice little ways enough for me to bother getting one :)

That is the skin I have on the phone, it's a full body skin and protects the whole thing without looking big and bulky and you can hardly tell it's there. That's the main reason why the phone you have is in such good condition as it had one of those on it.

15. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Kempez, is yours a Best Skins Ever Skin by any chance? I happen to have the exact same one and find that dirt is getting stuck in all the creases and stuff, most irritating :(

Other than that though it works so very well. Mine has been in pockets with loose change and keys and not a scratch yet.

16. kempez

kempez modding again!

Yeah that's the one. Not got a huge amount stuck on it, although I have got it on really good this time. Yes some dirt gets on it but a quick wipe usually gets it off. Same as you, not a scratch on the phone: it works a treat and you can hardly tell it's on there.

17. wyx087

indeed not a single scratch. does the skin get finger prints, i hate them? i've not put any protection on it as i usually don't really care about mobile phones (unlike computers: dust filter, polise the case, clean dust every month and use monitor-care-spray) but iPhone feels like a mini-computer...... so i started caring for it.

what's your guys' usual battery life? i find mine to be 2 days with texting a few message, about 2 hours of poker/aurora/trism , 1 hr phone talk (2G), about 30min WiFi browsing and/or SSH command line into the phone and no external speaker useage. (because original iPhone speaker is useless)

Wi-Fi seems to be a battery drainer, just open youtube, put volume to minimal and open a few long video, and before you know it, your 40% battery when you got home has now became 20% and needs charging.
    and MxTube (youtube downloader) makes the phone HOT! i wonder how the plastic 3G phones dissapate the heat

18. NoahFuLing

Less effectively, I would assume. As I recall, all of the chips inside have a supposedly lower heat output than that of the original iPhone, there's just more of them. Mine gets hot too, it's scary. :eeek:

In regards to the skins, I didn't see a reason to put one on the back. I'd rather have a big rubbery case to protect it. I dropped my phone when I was at JFK waiting to be picked up, and it landed face-first on the blacktop. A real tragedy, except the case completely protected it, no damage at all. I have the anti-glare screen protector on the front, but I really don't understand why you have something on the back? I guess I don't mind the thick cases as much.

19. kempez

kempez modding again!

Yeah I have a silicon case but it's just really bulky and gets stuck to stuff, especially if it's in my pocket. Plus it ruins the looks of the phone which just seems a bloody shame :D I have a cover on the back 'cause I know it will get scratched to buggery otherwise.

20. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

I had the Otterbox defender case for mine. Freaking awesome case.

Tags: