1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Apple G5 Identity Crisis (Update: 26-10 Testfit & Photo Shoot)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by orry, 24 Aug 2008.

1. orry

orry Modding Addict

Project - Apple G5 Identity Crisis

[​IMG]

Introduction:

Hey guys, been reading the forum for a long long time ad i thought id start a worklog for a project of my own this time around :) i managed to get my hands on a G5 aluminum case for a great price and im in love with the design and build quality :)

Parts will include at the moment:

Asus P5K Deluxe
    XFX 8800GTS 640MB
    OCZ Reaper 8GB 8500
    2-4 640gb HDD's - Raid
    Core 2 Duo @ 3.55Ghz (1.33v)
    Apple 20" Cinema Display
    Apple Aluminum keyboard

Other options pending based on workable space will include watercooling and what power supply can be fitted in, i will probably end up using a OCZ 600W as i have taken one apart before and they are a very low profile power supply without the casing... The case design is unique and it poses some big challenges when it comes to mounting hardware...

Initial measurements:

The top area has a rough area of 255mmx82mm available to mount a power supply and HDD cage or to be left as is.

The bottom area below where the mainboard mounts has approx dimensions of 462mmx188mmx64mm. Intentions are to cover the whole bottom area with a sheet aluminium which would be 462mmx188mm followed by covering top and bottom and doing a shroud for where im planning to mount the radiator at the front of the case :)

Some of steps to be done:

-Source a donor case to be stripped for aluminium / mainboard tray
    -Mainboard tray requires mounting in case
    -Powersupply requires mounting
    -HDD cage requires mounting
    -Power switch requires parts
    -Power light requires parts
    -Locations for watercooling...
    -Brushed Aluminium interior parts to be fabricated

and much more...

Also on the list is to source original fans from one of these cases in the original color to complete the theme but they are a bit hard to find sometimes...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: 25 Oct 2008
  2. orry

orry Modding Addict

I thought id make a little start on it all tonight, still waiting for parts to arrive to get stuck into the big stuff but atleast i can cross something off the list.

I was under the impression that this case didnt even have a power button and id have to mod one to fit but it turns out there is a tiny guy hiding against the front of the case :) and the LED was still there aswell :)

The wiring is simple, middle ground and 1 for power LED and 1 for power SW ;) Just had to solder some new wiring on and test, works a charm...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Nice start. I love these G5's.

4. wbdog206

wbdog206 not me

i will keep an eye on this.
    i love these cases.
    i would love to get my hands on one.

5. Nooby4Ever

Nooby4Ever 2 left hands

I love that case, i wish the sell it as a case.... without hardware

6. Kierax

Kierax What's a Dremel?

I have an old Coolermaster Wavemaster if you want to pick it up? not in brilliant knick but the motherboard tray is fine.

edit: ahh your down under, I'm up above :D

7. tominated

tominated What's a Dremel?

more aussies doing g5/pro case? yay! where'd you find the case?

8. orry

orry Modding Addict

Yeah im down under haha :brrr: many thanks for the offer though :)

I got the G5 case from ebay, was a lucky find really as i just happened to come across it when it was near finishing and won it. Didn't know many aussies did these cases, much harder for us to source

Nether the less i have a donor case to play with... PC60-USB

Heres some pics of the case and also the mainboard tray which im planning on mounting 2 80mm fans at the back, why Lian Li dont do this from the factory is weird? Also this case came with a window kit so i also have an extra panel of aluminium

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Next up does anyone know of a SATA DVD or Bluray drive that has a smaller depth than 180mm, trying to get the smallest one i can to fit in the top which leaves me some space for other stuff :)

Last edited: 25 Aug 2008
  9. orry

orry Modding Addict

Been searching for a while for a appropriate PSU to use in the case, first contender is this OCZ Stealth 600W. Its far from a powerhouse i guess but it can cut it, unfortunately there are height and length limitations at the top of the case...

Once the case is opened you can see how small the footprint of the the PCB is, plenty of room...some options are to reduce the height of the casing and she will slide in nicely, or i can remove it from the enclosure completely, mount it in the top of the case and come up with some cooling options. Im thinking the first option though...

I still havn't ruled out a monster power supply for the rig but i just need to decide if i want the HDD's mounted up top aswell. As it stands, with the CDROM having a 180mm depth (unless i can find a smaller SATA one?), the HDD cage at 105mm and the power supply at 140mm leaves me with 10mm-20mm to play with in the top, the question is do i put the little guy in and cut it all close or put the HDD's somewhere else and put a big boy in the top with tons of space :) More will be revealed tomorrow id say once i get the top tray out of the case and do some actual test fitting :)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

If you wanted more power why didn't you get the OCZ gameXtreme. IT has wattages up to 1010W in standard ATX sized casing.

11. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Just love these G5's... Love to see what ppl can do with them, and of course I'm always looking for new ideas to mod mine! :p
    My PSU actually died today, dunno how, GF just told me it died... :waah:
    So I ordered a new one, but it will take a whole frikkin day to do the switch....

But back on track, I'm gonna follow this one closely...

And a 600W Ocz should be more than enough for this build, unless there is something I have missed in your log... :)

12. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Can't wait to see how this one will turn out! :)

Cyp.

13. orry

orry Modding Addict

hehe yeah i know it'll be enough, i just thought id do a test fit as i had one hanging around, i just get tempted to do things overkill sometimes lol

I love your G5 projects aswell by the way :dremel:

On another note, anyone come across any SATA drives be it blu-ray or dvd that are shorter than 180mm? :)

14. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

180cm? That's a loooooong optical drive! I'm sure you meant 180mm, correct? That's, what, 7 in. approx. Don't quote me on this, but I'm fairly sure this Lite-On unit is under 7 in. According to this site, it's under 7 in. actually. Hope that helps.

15. orry

orry Modding Addict

my bad :) sorry its like 7am here ;) yeah definately helps thanks for that, every bit i can save the better

16. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Youve tempted me into getting one of these and building a rig in it lol! Lookin sweet man, will keep a close eye on this one for sure ;)

Btw seriously if anyone has a G5 case in good nick gimme a shout because theres only one on ebay in the USA atm and thats got over $90 shipping on it :/

17. Dfigravity

Dfigravity What's a Dremel?

I always love to see a Apple case modded...good luck bro! This should be cool
    !

18. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

It's because they're so damn big!

19. orry

orry Modding Addict

ahh thats nothing, i was looking at a full mac pro case on ebay a while ago and got a postage quote of a bit over $400USD shipped to Australia :eyebrow: i was very lucky to find one locally in such good condition. I will have to put it next to my V1000 tonight though and see how big it is, they actually dont seem that big inside, probably the big handles that make up for its overall exterior size :naughty:

20. orry

orry Modding Addict

Well got a bit done tonight as i had some time to spare, managed to remove the entire top tray and the ridge off the back of it, i forgot about the tip in the middle of it in my measurements so it turns out i have a overall of 87mm height in the top to play with now which will get a power supply in nicely with some work :) Also with the ridge gone i can butt the power supply right up near the back of the case... 2nd last picture shows all the stuff that has to come off just to remove the top tray, bit of fun anyway :lol:

Also did a quick cut of the back of the case for a test fit of the backplane, nowhere near fitted yet just to see where i need to make more cuts...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: 26 Aug 2008
Tags: