1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 26 Aug 2008.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Nice to see some comparison between the chip set versions. Also lots of people swear by Gigabyte, but I always hated (and still am) their layout choices and their 'teletubby' color choices. It just looks plain ugly and the placing of components on the board are illogically. USB connectors in the middle of the board, sata ports that cant be used if you put in some graca's. Not to mention the topmost pci-e x1 slot. Try to fit a sound card there.. oh.. the heat pipe is preventing the card to fit. Then the backplate, how about putting in some extra usb connectors, the space is there so why not use it? And why not place 90dg sata connectors on the side of the board the room is there to fit about eight of them. And why are they still using all those weird colors...

3. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I admit that Gigabyte boards aren't the most visually appealing nor the most OC friendly but they are built rock solid.

4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Did I miss something or didnt they just call that one of the least solid board they've tested ;) a bit of a shame really.

Also I guess I'm really bored for I read reviews with my phone..

5. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

No I was referring to what Obiwan said about people swearing by them. Just my 2 cents.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

In general Gigabyte boards are rock solid but this just wouldn't survive our stability test :( I even swapped the memory for a different brand and reinstalled the OS for a clean one and it made no difference :(

7. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

I have to agree with you. I am not familiar with the ATI boards (wich this mobo aims at), but no way u could use two geforces 8800 in SLI in that board and use more than two SATA HDs in that layout. Even with 2 SATAs that will prove to be difficult.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No way you could get SLI on it anyway since it's an ATI AMD chipset :p

9. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

Funny that people always forget that Nvidia makes SLI, AMD makes Crossfire.
    Just goes to show what a problem people have with choosing parts and the endless threads there are on the forums with "spec me a machine". You guys here at Bit-tech makes it easier to sum the parts thanks to your reviews, but the job of picking the right combo still relies on the end user. But that means that they have to read more articles. Some do. Or is that more of a question of ignorance or lazyness?
    I am bound to do the same some day. Have not built a new'ish machine since 2003, loads of little things get in the way.

10. BlueSkyNIS

BlueSkyNIS An Ubuntu User :)

Hi guys,

About AM2+ Energy Efficient phase changing savings: ASRock implemented AM2+ PSI spec into their boards as Intelligent Energy Saving or IES and Jetway as Green Power Indicator or GPI. :)

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Thanks for the update! I haven't looked at an ASRock board in.. ever and I'll chat to Jetway today.

12. BlueSkyNIS

BlueSkyNIS An Ubuntu User :)

This guy (Kab), at AMD Processors forums, pointed me out to other forums where this other guy (KTE) played with ASRock boards and done little research here, and it looks like it is working fine. There is a clip on youtube demonstrating IES feature. :)

I must say I am terribly disappointed with the lack of boards supporting AM2+ PSI spec. :confused:

P.S. Why are all smilies blue? :p

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I'll check the links, thanks.

Because blue and purple are native bit-tech colour :)

If you change the forum theme to "retro" you will see why ^_^

14. princ3mo3

princ3mo3 What's a Dremel?

does the GA-MA790GP-DS4H have a built in graphic card, so does that mean additional graphic card isnt needed is the current grpahic card good for daily use excluding the fact not much of latest games would be played

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yes, it has onboard graphics so no PCI-Express card needs to be used. It's got enough horsepower for Flash games and video but nothing "serious" without dropping all the detail and resolution.

Tags: Add Tags