1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP Home - Valid key, no discs!

Discussion in 'Software' started by outlawaol, 27 Aug 2008.

1. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

So, I have my parents PC that has a full legit copy of WinXP home on it. But I am going to build them a new PC and want to use this version rather then *cough*my copy*cough* for obvious reasons.

Trying to find a copy of this has been a real pain. I'd pay for a copy with no key, but cant find one!

This is a HP computer with the genuine label on the back of it.

Any info would be great!

Thanks!

:)

2. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

It's HP's fault for not giving you a disc with the computer. Contact HP and ask if they can provide you with one.

edit: I just noticed that you're going to build a new compyter. That is an OEM copy of Windows, it will not activate on another motherboard. Even the license says so. It's forbidden to transfer an OEM license from a computer to another one. So you'll have to buy Vista.

3. outlawaol

Stupid MS....

That irks me... :sigh: Guess my copy will have to do then...

:sigh:

4. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

If it's a Retail copy that hasn't been activated in the past 3 months, then yes. :)

5. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Just download an OEM copy of XP Home from the internets, hopefully the CD-key should work. If it doesn't, then you can fork out for a new OS.

I'm sure many people would also suggest that you can try Linux - those crazy fools! :p

Last edited by a moderator: 27 Aug 2008
  6. Ransoman

Ransoman What's a Dremel?

Why not just obey the license agreement and buy a new version? It is not hard.

There should still be disks in stock in some E-tailers.

7. outlawaol

Ahh, thanks oasked. I didnt think of hitting up (place to download).. hehe. :)

Its such a scam for these prebuilt systems. Why spend again on a license when I have a fully legit one sitting on a PC thats going to be junked? Total waste... I mean if I had bought the retail version of this thing, it would be transferable to any computer. So why all this run around on a prebuilt? Crazy BS is all it is.

Haha! My folks wouldnt get linux, they barely get XP! :D

Thanks for the help! :)

Last edited by a moderator: 27 Aug 2008
  8. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Well, that's the reason an OEM licence is dirt cheap, because you can't recycle it. You have a fully legit licence, but just for THAT PC. If you would have cashed out a bit more and got the retail version, you could transfer it. But because prebuilts are looking for the lowest price, they get an OEM licence.

9. Cinnander

Cinnander What's a Dremel?

Cheesed off with MS charging you to buy something you've already bought once, and which doesn't cost them a penny for you to re-use?
    Sounds like you need ... *dum dum ddduuuummm* www.ubuntu.com

(...well you can't blame me for trying...)
    But seriously this is the exact reason I switched - I wasn't paying £70 for something I already owned, OEM restrictions or not that's ridiculous. I realise this is your parents though so the whole thing might be over their heads!

10. Glider

Glider /dev/null

You might need to check the licence... You don't OWN your copy of Windows, you can use it...

11. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

just curious, lets say you have a LEGIT version of windows XP, but its NOT activated via Windows Genuine advantage.

Would you still be able to use the license on another PC if you could copy it across?

12. Glider

Glider /dev/null

So, like most in this thread said, it's illegal to move OEM versions, retail is passable between PC's, but can only be installed on 1 PC at the same time.

13. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

What if the mobo went out on the HP though, then you send it to them to be replaced... You can still install the OEM version, if not call in and just say the mobo fried because the psu was cheap / faulty and there was a lightning storm that shorted it out causing damage to the motherboard. I have not done it myself, but many people just say their mobo has fried / broken and they use an OEM license on a completely new pc.

14. Glider

Glider /dev/null

A lot of people download games, moves and music... That doesn't make it legal.

15. Cinnander

Cinnander What's a Dremel?

Well yes, but if the re-use fee was £20 not £70 for a single OEM copy, they'd probably still have my custom [actually no - now that I've started on Linux, they wouldn't, but I didn't know that beforehand]. That's now 20(70) quid I can spend on a better mobo or something every time I build a PC now. Vote with yer money, I say; I've bought one Windows XP license, I don't see a reason to pay exactly the same price again for even more nothing. If there was some physical 'thing' that made producing a copy of windows difficult, yes it would be worth paying, but as it costs MS nothing to make a copy of XP (digitally), nothing to generate a serial number, so the price tag is 100% greed. MS are perfectly able to set out silly license conditions, of course, but they should expect people to turn away when they feel they're getting screwed.

Last edited: 27 Aug 2008
  16. Glider

Glider /dev/null

I've done it some time ago and moved to Linux. Not that I needed to buy Windows, I get dozens of keys (legit) passed to me.

17. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I sympothise, however Glider rightly points out that an OEM version can only legally be used on the PC it was supplied with.
    To re-use the key on another machine is against the EULA set out by MS when you buy the OS/Machine.

MS sell the OEM version at a much lesser cost for that very reason.

You do have the option, if building a new machine, to purchase an OEM version along with the relevant hardware.

Can we please avoid any talk of downloading pirated versions and the location of such material, even though it's very well known.

18. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Dunno if this is worth anything in this situation, but when you're shopping for a new copy of Windows go for a "system builder" version. They cost about as much as OEM versions, yet are transferable. Only thing you miss out on is a shiny package (oh noes!) and support from Microsoft (there is such a thing?).

19. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

I think "System Builder" means OEM - i.e. they're the same thing.

20. EnglishLion

EnglishLion working for the good of mankind...

I know many people go on about not being able to transfer OEM licenses but I've done it several times and 100% of the times that I've tried.

1. One was my old Dell that I rebuilt with new mobo, cpu, mem, psu, case etc - I think I kept the DVD-RW
    2. Second was a mates Evesham eBox when the mobo gave up. So we replaced the mobo, cpu and ram.
    3. Third was my own media centre that I started off on 2nd hand parts and then decided to rebuild with new parts. New mobo, cpu, ram, hdd etc.

Each time the newly installed windows tell you to activate. When you give it the key it says there's a problem and gives you a phone no. I rang the phone no and each time was honest about having replaced significant parts and they gave me replacement key. Most recent times it was even a simple automated phone process.

Now I haven't read the whole eula from MS (although I do know that the sticker MUST be on the right hand side of the case except for laptops where it must be the bottom!?!?!) but surely if MS themselves via an honest phone call renew your key that must be legal!