1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony: No PS3 price cut this year

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 27 Aug 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

ooh, Home open beta in Autumn!

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I would be lying if I said I was shocked.

4. Hg

Hg The game known as life

i dont think home will be that good, i want a PS3 but i dont, for one i have never been a fan of Playsation controllers and all the games i want are also coming to xbox and the lack of price cuts makes it too much money for an impulse purchase. However that said play tv and blu-ray make the PS3 an attractive media center.

5. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

... guess I won't be getting a PS3 this year then. Of course if I was living in the US and could pay what they pay for exactly the same product then I wouldn't need it's price to be reduced. The £200 they pay vs the £300 we pay is a slap in the face really.

6. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

This generation of consoles has got to be the least attractive of any I can remember. At least to me. I Have no desire for any of them. PC gaming all the way :D

7. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Why would Reeves say that a price cut was coming this year? That would only deter current purchases and he would probably lose his job. Sony will price cut when the numbers don't go their way. It's the same for MS and Nintendo.

Home will be here 100% according to one of the game designers/engineers as well.

Also, yes, PS3 is more expensive, but it's still hard to rule out that you get more features vs. the competition, as well as an enticing lineup of software coming soon, so the price thing compared to 360/Wii really is negotiable, but yes, the base price is more expensive...

8. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

more expensive.... in the UK. In the US there is only £25 difference between the 60GB 360 and the 80GB PS3. In the UK there is £120 difference on those identical products. The 360 being basically in-line with US price + VAT.

In your opinion what features and games makes the UK PS3 worth £70 more than the US PS3?

9. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

games and features have nothing to do with it. its just our government likes to **** us in the arse more then yours.

10. devdevil85

Idk how to answer that question other than by saying, "No." The US PS3 offers the same as the UK, right? The 80GB MGS4 bundle I have offers software BC, but idk if the UK version does or not. How is the 60GB 360 priced in comparison the US version? Is it all relative or is Sony way out of line on pricing there?

I can tell you what features/games that makes the PS3's price more justified when in comparison to the 360's price (at least here in the US since right now 360's models are all $50 cheaper than comparable PS3 models)

Last edited: 27 Aug 2008
  11. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

ive seen the outgoing 40gb version for £270, if it was more like £250 i might be tempted.. but its the old version now anyway

12. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

Where people are based has gotten confusing, I'm from the UK. You saying you are from the UK also?

I was being sarcastic with that question really. But yeah, I forgot that thing about the BC. The price I checked was the 80GB PS3 which has just come out here, we've not had an 80GB so far. This new one has no backwards compatibility. So with that and the fact the US PS3 is worth more because it's Blu-Ray player is region A. Thus can play new release Blu-Ray titles which come out sooner.. and are cheaper (But that's an issue for another thread. :p), the US version is better than the UK one.

If I was in the US, $50/£25 is a premium I would pay for the Blu-Ray player in the PS3 over the price of a 360, that's fair, the console is a year newer.... The $140/£70 price difference (after VAT) here isn't right.

So, as M4RTIN said, they need to lob off that £50.

13. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Yes, ive noticed the huge price difference between the console and it does not seem fair at all, but i am sure you guys in the UK on average make more money than people in the US on average which explains why its higher priced in UK. But still the 360 is wayyyy cheaper because Microsoft had to lower the price so it didnt sell that much lower than PS3 (PS3 still outsells it while being priced $140 more)

But while no where are getting a price cut we are gettting more for our money with the 160gb SKU which replaces the 80GB for the same price and I think the 40GB is turning into an 80GB with no price increase.

14. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Pah! You've got to be joking!

15. devdevil85

Are you guys taxed more in the UK, or what?

16. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Sure the PS3 isn't cheap, compared to the 360 but those constantly complaining "OH it's too expensive, it's not worth it..." Sony is practically *sweetening* the deal every year by upgrading the hard drives *for you* without increasing the price, 20GB, 40GB, 60GB, 80GB and now 160GB... for the same price. I've had my 60GB PS3 since release day (yeah I waited outside blah blah blah) but I'm very happy with my console.

The PS3 won't be "cheap" for quite awhile, and if Sony continues upgrading the hard drives every year (maybe move to SSD's in 1-2 years?) then there is no reason for them to drop the price. The PS3 isn't meant to be cheap, it's games aren't cheap, it isn't play *well* without a high-def display, and blu-ray titles are in the $30 price range, and you want the console to be *cheap*? If you want cheap, go buy a Wii. The PS3 (like the 360 Elite) are more of the "BMW/Audi/Benz/" etc of consoles, Wii is the fuel efficient Civic, no frills, no leather, no GPS.

17. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

Wow.. how much Sony pay you for that?

Also you clearly haven't read this thread.. or my posts at least.

18. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

The PS3 will never be cheaper than the 360 or Wii because every time they do a price reduction, MS and Nintendo will do also.

The Wii is £180, PS3 40gb is £250 and the 360 60GB is £200. There is nothing in the price now, just the cost of a game for christ sake and PS3 is only 17 months old and we have seen more price drops than any other console before.

£70 more than a Wii and £50 more than a 360 you get a blu-ray play and what ever extra. Stop moaning about the dam price.

If its too expensive for you then its simple, you cant have one. Stop being babies and grow up.

19. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Simple and to the point. I like. Regardless, with $60 titles, the requirements for an HDTV to truly "experience" the games, and expensive blu-ray titles even if those who whined and got their prices cuts, would then start to whine that the games, titles and TV's are expensive. It's a cycle, best worth ignoring those who follow it.

20. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

Cool.. can I have link to that brand new UK PS3 from a reputable retailer for £250.. please? Does it come with a free dual shock controller?

Tags: Add Tags