1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Latest WGA deletes wallpaper

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 28 Aug 2008.

1. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

You're confusing buying a pre-made computer with the OS pre-installed to installing a fresh Vista install from Microsoft.

2. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

i own vista 64 Ultimat but i use an Vista 64 ultimat OEM patched disk, Do not install the WGA update or the other ones that say thay are going to noob your pc (set updates to notify only and check each update before installing them)

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Yeah, but with OS X, you have to take into consideration that they control the hardware too - Releasing a 'one DVD for all Macs' OS is pretty much the only way they can do it.

XP Home isn't an OS, it's a POS :p

Home Premium isn't much better >.>

4. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    A domestic user doesnt need the XP Professional version.

5. Xir

Xir Modder

If he goes to LAN's he does ;-)

Where's the difference between Vista Business and Vista Ultimate?

6. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Unless they run any kind of real network appliances in which home doesn't always play nice, thus why pro is around.

But on that point if your running and OEM version and have to phone MS to get your code, then you've probably already broken the EULA and as such might as well be running a pirate copy since in MS eyes its still wrong. For every one who says just buy OEM and phone up and get your code your just as bad as a pirate so get down for your moral high horse, an OEM should die withe the hardware its installed with, tbh i don't know how much needs to change but a new motherboard is a new computer.

7. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    There seems to be an exception if the original motherboard was defective:
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/oemeula.htm

8. koola

koola Minimodder

No I'm really not, although pre-loaded computers are annoying too. A fresh install also includes software I don't want for instance IE, Outlook, WMP, MSN, WGA, DRM, ULA etc...

9. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I have used a pirated copy of XP pro because my computer came with a licence for it but no recovery CDs. When I came to break it far enough to need a reinstall, there wasn't a huge amount else I could do save buying a new copy of Windows which I wasn't about to do.

That copy of XP passes WGA absolutely fine, which is more than can be said for my perfectly legit version of Vista which has in the past thrown a hissy fit for no apparent reason, locking me out until I rang Microsoft.

10. DarkLord7854

So go Linux

11. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

I was all set to sit this discussion out, but you've gone and dragged me into it with this stupid statement. Repeat after me: VISTA DOES NOT INCLUDE DRM. Vista includes features which allow you to play DRM-equipped media. Using XP instead of Vista will not magically give you more privileges or make your pirated movies work better, it will just prevent you from playing legally-purchased media which would have played flawlessly in Vista. I hate DRM and wish it weren't around, but I really get tired of people flaming Vista for its big, scary "DRM."

And since I'm posting anyway:
    Back in my younger days, I used a pirated copy of XP. I don't anymore, and I'm never going to again. An OS is not terribly expensive; it's roughly the difference between a dual- and quad-core CPU using the same technology. Very few tasks at the moment benefit from a quad-core, and yet many people use them. Plainly, spending $100 for little or no visible benefit doesn't bother people - and I'm pretty sure there are more benefits to a legal OS than to two cores which never go past 5% utilization. I don't have to spend three hours trying to get .Net installed to run some unrelated program. I don't have to check all my updates to make sure I'm not inadvertently installing WGA. I never have to spend any time fiddling with my OS to make sure it's behaving like I want it to. With a legal copy of Windows, once I'm installed and configured the way I want, I never even think about it again, and that's the way it should be.

Sure, I like fiddling with my computer; that's why I spend time on Bit-Tech. But car enthusiasts don't spend hours fine-tuning the behavior of their windshield. When I'm spending time with my computer, I want to be playing games and browsing the internet, not fiddling with my OS. I don't even want to notice my OS. Unless you can say with complete honesty that you installed a pirated copy of Windows, configured it once, and then never again even thought about it or took any special steps to keep it working, then, well... How little do you value your time?

12. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Yep. Copy protection should be a nuisance to the pirates and freeloaders not the legitimate buyer.

13. mp3manager

mp3manager What's a Dremel?

I bought a *retail* boxed version of XP Home. It was flagged as a pirate copy by WGA. It took a correspondence of about a dozen or so emails from tech support of, 'try this and try that', to finally deduce that it was a false positive.

Now if I upgrade to Vista, my *retail* XP will stop working. WTF is that all about? It's not OEM...it's RETAIL!!

When I upgraded from vinyl to CD....my vinyl collection didn't suddenly stop working.
    When I upgraded from CD to SACD...my CD collection didn't suddenly stop working.
    When I upgraded from VHS to DVD...my VHS collection didn't suddenly stop working.
    When I upgraded from DVD to Blu-Ray....my DVD collection didn't suddenly stop working.

Why does my *retail* bought XP, have to suddenly stop working??

BTW, Vista *does* have DRM.

It's Digitally Restricted Media.

Last edited: 29 Aug 2008
  14. DarkLord7854

If you *upgrade* then duh, you're overwriting XP. Doesn't stop you from installing that XP license on another computer though :worried:

15. Platinum

Platinum What's a Dremel?

Because your upgrading, when you upgrade your vinyl to CD as you say your not actualy upgrading what your doing is buying a CD player then purchasing the music again on CD, theres no upgrade there my friend.

16. koola

koola Minimodder

I went one better, Mac.

Those "features which allow you to play DRM-equipped media" are effectively DRM "Digital Rights Management". Allow the Vista Team Blog to make that "stupid statement" not so stupid afterall :rolleyes:

Likewise I never have to fiddle with the OS or have to phone Microsoft or have my OS tell me windows isn't genuine. I used nLite (vLite for Vista), configured the install, burned the CD and installed. Easy.

17. Matticus

Matticus ...

I think this is a laughable way to combat piracy. A friend of mine installed and cracked vista 64 ultimate, it passed genuine check and updates itself all the time, it installed sp1 no problem and has been running flawlessly, he frequently goes onto the windows genuine check website and shows me that ms thinks its genuine. So basically if MS thinks its genuine how is this check going to work.

For a company like MS, there is little point in spending a large sum on anti piracy, they are so big and have such a huge market share that they will make enough money anyway, and because of their size they are great target for hackers. They would probably loose money trying to make an "amazing" anti piracy system, firstly it would put off legitimate users if it was going to be intrusive, and it would be an even bigger challenge for crackers who would have it sussed in a matter of days no doubt.

The standard CD key being genuine is enough to put off anyone who isn't very tech savvy, and genuine check when you update is enough to put off the more tech savvy but less confident would-be-crackers, just leave it that way.

18. Xir

Xir Modder

Correct...which is why Vista is a pain in the ... as it makes itself noticed all the time.

Had to work with it yesterday..bloody grrmblllsonofanOS

Oh...about:
    Welll, we're all supposed to buy retail...not OEM...
    then it is expensive

19. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Imho piracy has helped MS in the past, you don't get to be the market leader selling software to businesses and how many people (back in the dim and distant) would have payed for ms dos/windows 3.1 over say the amiga os or one of the other half dozen providers, but they used windows at work so either got a discount to encourage its use at home or helped them selfs now its in a ridiculously dominant position it can (try to) force every one to buy a legal copy with out worrying about loosing its market share.

True
    Vista home premium OEM: £70
    Vista home premium Retail: £150

Thats more than i've spent on a single peice of kit, although I do admit to buying oem and letting it die with the mobo most of the time.

20. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Sorry, just because you don't use a quad to it's fullest doesn't mean that everyone is like that. :) Video encoding is getting more and more accessible, and when there are free programs out there to convert videos to DVDs or DVDs to videos that can utilise quad cores... well, I don't know about you, but the quicker something encodes, the happier I am. Long gone are the days when I'd be prepared to have my computer churning away for days on end to encode a few hours of video. And with the dropping prices of 1080p camcorders, anything that can transcode faster is a Good Thing(TM). Games might not use quads fully yet, but

Even buying OEM, Microsoft must have made a heck of a lot of money out of me with all the Windows licenses I've bought over the years - not including the ones that came installed on (my first) PC and laptops. They should do some sort of volume discount for people with multiple systems. :hehe:

Tags: Add Tags