1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

your town

Discussion in 'General' started by Altron, 30 Aug 2008.

1. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

I live in manchester, home of the industrial revolution! Beat that :) Also, the first computer was developed here at manchester uni. The SSEM, though depending on your definition of a computer you could say the ENIAC was first. So it's abit of a dubious honor!

2. Matticus

Matticus ...

I live in peterborough.

If you saw the BBC program "The Poles are Coming" then you know all about it.

First city to be designed on a computer.
    Mass immigration, was Asian and Indian in years gone by, now its eastern Europeans. Doesn't seem to directly affect me at the moment so I don't care. Oh and I forgot Italians, there is a lot of them too.
    We have a reasonably successful football team, the Ice hockey and Speedway teams I believe are pretty good, or at least used to be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peterborough, its actually historically pretty interesting.

3. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I live in St.Ives, Cornwall, a tourist trap voted best seaside town of 2007. We have a Tate Modern, artists and sea. Lots of sea.

There are pubs and wine bars. When it gets dark and people can't see the sea anymore, they go into the pubs. Sometimes they have arguements.

The nearest Dominos is in St.Austell, 40 miles away. They don't deliver.

4. NaNeil

NaNeil What's a Dremel?

Me too.. scary!

5. Emzay

Emzay "He's doing a poo!"

Haha! I couldn't get over how far apart everything is in cornwall like

6. Pha3dr0n

Pha3dr0n Where's my Valium?

I'm from Helensburgh, about 20 miles down the river Clyde from Glasgow. The only thing of interest about the place that I can think of is John Logie Baird was from here - he invented the TV.

7. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Russel Peters is from here.
    In 2007, Canada's second-fastest growing city; second to Calgary by a margin of less than 1%.
    Nearly 75% total residential zoning, making rush hour traffic into the Toronto core a daily city migration.

8. toric334

toric334 What's a Dremel?

Woah crap, small world. I live a couple miles up the B3130 :thumb:

9. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

I'm from Nottingham.

Good points: Speakeasy, Rock City, its small enough to get around easily and there seems to be an abundance of women - 6:1 ratio apparently.

Bad points: Violence, gun crime, its too small, has an excessive chav population and not many interesting jobs going.

Interesting stuff: Robin Hood, Lace Market, Brian Clough and has the oldest pub in Europe (IIRC) - The Olde Trip to Jerusalem.

10. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

I live in White Rock... and guess what, it's named after a giant white rock that sits on the beach. Go figure.

11. Prometheus

Prometheus Minimodder

12. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

I'm currently living, and born, here, and was born the same year as the big tornado. Just moved back from here. All in all, I liked Alaska better, less crowded.

13. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

i live in canmore. it's main redeeming feature it that it looks like this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...eet_Alberta_Canmore_looking_west_HPIM4266.JPG

besides that, it is the main training base for the national cross country ski team, and the hometown of a few prominent mountaineers and athletes. it also has enough bike trails that last summer i discovered a new bit of trail every time i went riding. there are three of the best ski hills in north america within an hours drive, and enough hiking to keep one busy for a long time.

14. freedom810

freedom810 Minimodder

I live in Bewdley, its boring.
    I also live in Worcester its pretty busy at times and was going to be the last stronghold if the nazi's occupied Britain.(Which never happened...)
    I forgot to mention though, Bewdley has a better Internet speed though, because i live closer to the exchange.

Last edited: 30 Aug 2008
  15. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

How could you miss out that nightclub on a boat (?) with the revolving dance floor! :lol:

I live on the borders of 2 towns.

Barkham

According to the graffiti on Barkham Road in the 90s it's the Satanic capital of the UK. In King Edward III's reign, the income from Barkham Manor helped pay for the rebuilding of Windsor Castle and, not long afterwards, wood from Barkham trees was sent to make the roof of Westminster Abbey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barkham

Finchampstead

We have a country park called "California" which happens to have a wildlife area called the "Everglades". Geography clearly not their strong point. It was the hunting place of Royalty and an old tale tells how King Henry VII brought his son, Prince Arthur, out onto the Ridges to see his bride, Catherine of Aragon, for the first time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finchampstead

Herne the Hunter is meant to roam about here too as it's part of Old Windsor Forest.

16. RTT

RTT #parp

17. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Winkler, MB http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winkler,_Manitoba

-Population of about 9600.
    -One of the fastest growing cities in our province.
    -Dustin Penner who plays for Edmonton Oilers and won stanely cup with Anaheim Ducks.
    -Ed Belfour (NHL Goalie) not born in Winkler but played on the towns provincial junior hockey team
    -in 2006 Winkler had the World Harvest for Kids which set a wold record by harvesting 162 acres in 11 minutes and 8 seconds ( http://www.worldharvestforkids.com/ )

18. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Castleford for me. It's near leeds, and has been grossly mis-represented on The Big Town Plan on Channel 4.

Pros: Home of Henry Moore and more Roman ruins and history than you can shake a stick at. Has Xscape, europes largest real indoor snow slope, and Freeport.

Cons: The looks you get now channel 4 have got their programming in, the level of chavviness, the fact it's an ex mining town, and finally... HOME OF BURBERRY!

enough said.

RwD

19. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

i've gotta disagree with you there. the winters are awesome, just enough snow and cold for it to be a real winter, but every couple weeks a chinook blows through and warms everything up. and the summers suck, they're too hot.

20. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I live just out side the City of Chichester, Chichester is an ex Roman City. Has an old canal, a railway line, a ring road to the south, loads of boring shops, and that's about it. Nearby is Goodwood Race Circuit with Goodwood Revival, and The Festival of Speed, which brings Chichesters already bad traffic system into total termoil. I live in Tangmere, which was the main airfield of the area including Bognor Regis, and Goodwood, for the deffences of the Battle of Britain.

Famous people near by include Graham Norton i believe, and we have reports of other famous people.....

Read up on Wikipedia here:

Sam