1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some ****er stole my stuff

Discussion in 'General' started by atanum141, 31 Aug 2008.

1. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

So its 3am here im London, just spending some money on a cab which i dont mind but coming back from a wonderful night out. Ive discovered that my camera has been stolen.

Its a Nikon D40 of all things and i cant help but think i was partly to blame but what herts the most is the memories i have lost thats been captured on that camera.

Has anything happened you you like this?

And to top things off in a fit or rage i smashed my iphone down on the ground and now gives me a "no sim installed" attitude when clearly a sim is installed. Ive tried to take the sim out but the latch seems to be borked. anyone got any ideas?

Ive clearly been shafted tonite, all my friends say that ive lost money but karma will sort things out is this correct? I gave up religion and superstitious BS like this but will this really help or sort me out?

Let me know as im going mad with self hate and anger.

Please tell me its gonna be ok guys.

2. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

Don't worry. Who ever stole you camera will have a greater loss happen to him.
    And it's an iPhone. is it still under warranty?

3. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

Why on earth did you take out a D40? they aren't compact bits of kit and for shooting my mates I normally suffice with the phone camera, The iPhone should still be covered, say it was an accidental drop from a decent hight.

4. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

That sucks. :/

I dont know how many times I get people that come in (I work retail, sell cameras and stuff) and have them tell me their stuff got ripped off.

All you can do is hope they dropped it and thus were declined the victory of there theft. Or something along those lines! :D

I really dont know how the 'city' works in regards to personal security, but the more its on you, the better the odds of it being left alone. So wrap those cables/lanyards/wrist-straps on and hope for the best! Cause if its loose, its in their noose... :)

5. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Ouch. Unlucky.

Get it replaced.

No, life is unfair, that bloke will probably have a good time now (and he'll be taking pictures of them all).

6. RTT

RTT #parp

You took a (presumably non-insured) D40 on a night out?

As sad as it is that you can't take stuff out without fear of theft, that just doesn't sound like a particularly good idea at all :( Neither was smashing your phone - what possible good was that going to do? :confused:

7. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

I'm more intrigued as to how you didn't notice your camera was missing until you got out of the taxi, stuff like that only happens when I'm well oiled.

8. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

Other than braincells, the only things I've really lost on nights out are 2 phones and a jacket.

Luckily, I have insurance for my phone and got the old piece of crap replaced with a new piece of crap both times. You just need to be a little creative with the truth, eg - "It must have fallen out my pocket (sporran) on the bus this morning (at 8:30am coming home from a 12 hour party)".

Taking an expensive camera on a night out is kinda asking for trouble. Are you sure it got stolen, or did you just leave it somewhere? How do you normally carry it, with a strap? Have you tried phoning anywhere you were last night to see if it's been handed in?

So, karma...? Give it some time.

9. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

Unlucky dude... I suppose your phone should be alright if you've got her insured... we're not so good at the art of 'fixing things':)dremel:) these days - we just get new ones...

London is one of those places where I keep a watchful eye over the contents of my pockets, since they've really mastered the art of thievery there.

Where was your camera at the time? In a bag?

10. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

If you phone company is the same as att you phone is a cool paper weight now. They won't replace an iPhone for anything other than a manufacturer's defect.

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Your camera got stolen while taking it out --careless (I mean, they're big pieces of kit. How can you not notice it's gone until you got home?).

You broke your iPhone in a fit of anger --stupid.

There's Karma for you, right there. Got the picture of how it works now?

12. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

LOL at 'woe is me'.

How about;

[​IMG]
    'mimimimimimimi'

On the other hand, That sucks big time. But as others have said, don't drink and carry expensive equipment around, and two, don't vent by throwing other expensive cell phones around either.

And besides, the D40 with kit lens can be had for less than £300, so get another one and put on a happy face.

13. ktmakwana

ktmakwana What's a Dremel?

thats bad luck!

14. atanum141

Well its been more than 12hours, after a nights sleep and having talked it over with people.

I got my phone to work again but the latch that holds the sim is borked. But other than that its fully working . So with that out of the way ill be contacting the local police station and reporting the theft.

As long as i get the police ref ill get either a replacement or cash from insurance.

I know i did a stupid thing and i unintentionally took the camera out but not for that reason but i know it can be replaced but its the actual pictures that im more angry about and how they've been lost forever.

Looks like ill be having to invest in a P&S soon for these sorts of things.

15. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

What I tend to do with my camera, being digital and all, is plug it into my computer and copy my photos over. I find trying to share my memories on a 2.5" screen to be an inconvenience anyway.

16. atanum141

I did do a recent back up but that evenings pics and the week before it were not saved.

Its a real kick in the nuts as it contained pics needed to send to our local council.

Looks like they are going cheap on Amazon for £269. Ill have to wait tho.

17. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Tbh going out with important pics on your camera is a pretty stupid thing to do. Always back stuff up, especially if you shouldn't be losing it... :|

18. Matticus

Matticus ...

Man that is gutting. That's why I never go out with anything I don't need, especially if I am going to be getting drunk. I am also very very careful, and I am constantly checking my pockets, I can honestly say I have never lost anything and have never had anything stolen, apart from my BMX but my brother got that stolen actually.

You may get lucky and get your own one back, haha.

19. Khensu

Khensu likes to touch your special places

Ehm, if he wants to take his camera out during a night on the town... why not? Why should he be afraid of it being stolen?

I am aware of crime, that it's always been there and always will be in our lovely, safe democracies, but I so loathe the "you should've known better" doctrine. The guy's pissed off for a good reason in my view. As a law-abiding, tax-paying citizen he got f'd over by some scruffy criminal.

I may be the complete opposite (carry only the essentials - which is why I couldn't buy any alcohol at Tesco today as I didn't have any "acceptable" ID on me; so I was forced to go to the off-licence after my shopping... the inconvenience! Anyway, I digress) but I can understand why the poster is so angry. You live by the law, you work/study, you respect customs and behave fairly properly in public; and as a reward some sh** steals your stuff.

I find it hard to explain... I wouldn't carry a camera around with me when going out; but I believe that anyone else should be able to do that in all comfort or something. I don't know.

Either way, whatever one's view on this, everyone will agree it sucks major balls. As for karma: criminals, no matter how petty, tend to dwell in "bad social circles". He'll get f'd over too - a whole lot during the rest of his life. Sometimes he'll win (when he steals/deals/whatever), often he'll lose (when his "friends"/enemies steal from him/he gets beaten up/robbed/...). Crime doesn't pay, unless you're the guy in charge - and the guy in charge is never the one who nicks stuff from people.

I hope this makes some sense. It's a bit of a mess in my head, it's hard to explain. Anyway, I'd revel in the hope that this thief is a low-life who has a crack and heroin habit and will probably die in the most miserable ways imaginable, with HIV/AIDS ravishing his already sickly body, somewhere in the next few years.

20. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

don't worry mate, that guy who stole your camera? His balls will drop off in three days. promise ;)