1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

your town

Discussion in 'General' started by Altron, 30 Aug 2008.

1. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

Used to live in brighton.

Royal Pavillion, West Pier blah blah
    Gay capital of somewhere

Now I'm in Aberystwyth in Wales
    hmmm anything famous or interesting about it..... nope can't think of anything.
    Oh yeh Prince Charlie wen't to the uni there... wooo

2. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Brentwood, Essex.
    Voted the most boring town in the UK in the 90's, but Douglas Adams, Griff Rhys Jones, Noel Edmonds and Jack Straw all went to Brentwood School. I think some other people went too.

I nearly went there - passed all the exams, but we weren't middle class enough to be able to afford the £6000/year school fees.
    Free Grammar School Cheesecake.

3. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

Sevierville, TN
    15 minutes to the heart of The Great Smoky Mountains National Park (I practically live in it)
    Birthplace of Dolly Parton (about 5 minutes from my home)
    A place to bring the kids and blow all your money on stupid go-kart rides and mini golf

4. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

Portadown Co Armagh Northern ireland from the Irish: Port an Dúnáin meaning "port of the fortress"

Portadown is known as "The Hub of the North", the origin of this phrase coming from its central position in Northern Ireland and being a major railway junction in the past, where the Great Northern Railway's line diverged for Belfast, Dublin, Armagh and Derry.

A large POW Camp was constructed during World War 2

Gloria Hunniford, a BBC television presenter.

Portadown is located in an area known during the troubles as the "murder triangle" [1]because of the high number of killings carried out by paramilitary organisations.

Portadown was greatly affected by the Provisional IRA's bombing campaign from 1970 onwards. Large swathes of the High Street and West Street were destroyed on several ocaasions by large explosions from car/van bombs and IED's as were a number of side streets and at various locations elsewhere in the town. Public houses appeared to be a favourite target with some, like the Shamrock Chalet on the Armagh Road, being reduced to rubble on mulitple occasions.

some pics
    http://www.geocities.com/emerald_ancestry/Portadown.gif

http://www.rpsi-online.org/images/photonews/07tour/Michael_Howkins_No4atPortadown2on14thMay2007.JPG

http://cache.eb.com/eb/image?id=73432&rendTypeId=4

Last edited: 1 Sep 2008
  5. Emzay

Emzay "He's doing a poo!"

For one measly term!

(Parents met there, hence why i know such trivial facts)

6. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

I live in Bergen, Norway.

Trivia:

- The city was founded in 1070CE and celebrated its 900th anniversary in 1970.
    - In 1349CE the Black Death was brought to my city, and my country, by a british merchant vessel docking in Bergen.
    - It was one of the most important trading hubs during the hanseatic era, and most of the harbour (the parts that didn't go up in the fire, and obviously the parts that were rebuilt) are still standing - albeit slightly askew.
    - Bergen was occupied in the first wave of the German invasion in April 1940 after a brief fight between the gerrie's warships and our own coastal artillery.
    - Population: roughly 250k.
    - The harbour has been on UNESCO's world heritage list since the seventies (or thereabouts).
    - The city used to be our capital until it was demoted when Oslo surpassed Bergen's population.
    - We have annual gay-parades and marihuana marches (the gay parades may have been cancelled as I don't recall having seen/heard about it this year).
    - Oh, and Kurt Nilsen (world idol winner) was born here, among many other historical figures, though many of which are predominantly known to norwegian history.

Last edited: 2 Sep 2008
  7. kennethsross

kennethsross What's a Dremel?

I live in Prestwick, Scotland

The first Open Golf Championship in the world was played here.

Our airport was the only place Elvis ever set foot on British soil (when a USAF transport plane touched down to re-fuel)

8. kennethsross

kennethsross What's a Dremel?

I remember her from the '60's, when she was the Caledonian Princess, (car ferry) plying the stormy channel between Stranrear and Larne.

Then in 2000, I was on board her in 'Tuxedo Princess' guise for a reception (while accompanying my wife to a conference in Newcastle)

9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Lichfield, UK.

A dirty little hole full of old people and chavs. No joke, it's just old people and chavs.

10. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

How old did you say you were liratheal? :lol:

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Reminding me of my own mortality isn't cool! =P

21 in about a week, but I am going to have moved out of Lichfield before I make it to 22.

12. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

I live in Tigerton WI

There is a decent cafe with a gas station attached and all the white trash/trailer trash eats there. Our towns highschools mascot is a Tiger, go figure. There are also 3-4 bars and the population is under 800. Of the 800 Im sure that about 750 are related to each other, directly or indirectly, and everyone is fugly as sin.

:)

13. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

i live in eastham

one of the major traderoutes in the north west in the 1900's over the mersey from liverpool and the manchester ship canal starts there.

in the 1900's there was a lot of trade going on and in the woods by the house there are bear and lion pits where the animals used to be kept the also used to be a small rollercoaster by the river

now its very picturesque and has wood carvered animals and people all around and a biker bar where you'll see no end of harley's

14. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

I grew up in Marlow. Marlow was the home of Mary Shelley, who wrote Frankenstein while living there, and is currently the home of Steve Redgrave and Heston Blumenthal.

I'm a student at Southampton University right now, so I live in Southampton. Craig David is from here, and it's the third most dangerous city in the UK.

I miss Marlow.

AH

15. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Windhoek, Namibia:
    - altitude of 1665 metres
    - second highest mountain in the country 10k out of town, and i've spent a night there... good fun walking down in the pitch dark, torrential rain and freezing cold... all not present when ascending
    - estimated to hold 400.000 citizens, making it the largest city in the country - and it's still a little backwater place at the arse end of the planet (not quite, but we can see the arse end from the mountain mentioned above :p )...
    - 80% of the population under 18 claims to be previously disadvantaged, even though apartheid was abolished here WAY before it was in South Africa, and we've been independant for almost 20 years. They wouldn't know "disadvantaged" it it came and kicked them.
    - one of the few places i know of where you can get a job you're completely unfit for simply by being in the right place at the right time - affirmative action makes sure of that...
    - Average release date on anything technological here: (Normal Release Date + {random amount between 21 and 700 days})
    - number of nightclubs where you can go without getting robbed/killed/raped: 4
    - places that play any form of rock music: 1
    - Stores that sell any form of metal: 0
    - only place in the world where the former president has 2 honorary doctors and the title of "father of the nation", as well as having changed the constitution so he could get re-elected a 3rd time, and now (having not been president for a term) wants to step up for elections again. - old friend of "uncle Bob" - what more do i need to say?
    - we had the second fastest 100m sprinter int he world for a while (Frank Fredericks), and pretty much every second person here knows him personally.
    - Price for 2048k ADSL that performs like 768K: 2500 NAD (approx 320 USD) a month.
    - % of population with access to the net: 8%

16. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I live in Bourne.

Raymond Mays, a rather famous racing car driver, lived here.

We had 3 hospitals, now all gone. One of which was a listed building, which was knocked down to pave the way for housing. I think one still stands and is used as a loony bin.

Bourne has won the prestigious award of best cemetery. All I see when I go is a dead end (boom boom,hoho!)

Bourne has a Fire Station, so sirens are a daily sound.

Bourne also has an outdoor swimming pool and its own Post Office.

It's home of the Delaine Bus company, which provides a good service from here to Peterborough, but little to no use elsewhere.

It's also home to the Warner's Group, printers and publishers of a few magazines.

There's also Wake House, built and gifted to Bourne by William De Wake (iirc). It's used as sort of, after-school schools. I think they do ballet lessons and computer courses.

Interestingly, my father-in-law has been a Town Mayor recently and is due to be again soon.

I'd enjoy this town better if I could move.

17. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

I live in ottawa, Ontario Canada. The capital for Canada. (it's not Toronto, that is the capital of Ontario)

Interesting tidbits let's see.

1. Ottawa is one of the coldest national capitals in the world with temps dipping down as low as -45 celsius.
    2. We burned down our own parliment buildings
    3. Ottawa wasn't always called ottawa, way back in the 1800's it was called bytown and was a logging town.
    4. We have some of the most extreme weather changes in canada. As high as +40 in the summer and as low as -45 in the winter.
    5. I think we also have more museums percaptia than any other capital in canada, i think?
    6. Ottawa is also called Silicon Valley North

Population wise were not that large around 850, 000+ in the core areas. Despite the blistering summers, and frigid winters (we got 400+CM snow last winter) i love it here :)

18. Daniel114

Daniel114 What's a Dremel?

I've lived all over, although my parents live in lincolnshire/humberside depending on your view point. Which thankfully allows me to post this this link

19. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

And Bergen always wish they were a part of Norway. Sometimes we let the believe that... They also talk funny there... :p

Just kidding. Lots of really nice girls in Bergen :D

20. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior