1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Acer G24 - 24" widescreen gaming monitor

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 4 Sep 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Nuffenburger

Nuffenburger The Burgerman Can

I would still rather the benq one.
    Don't exactly like the colour.

3. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Wow, that thing really is hideous.

I can just imagine that it'll fly off the shelves though.

4. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

I think you should have encased all the "Gaming"s in quotes.
    I play games on my PC, but I wouldn't want that monstrosity staring back at me.
    I prefer my G2400W. Quiet, understated lines, a nice black bezel, and a hundred quid less!
    Nice review though Jeremy.

5. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Even before I read this article I could tell the monitor was meant for the Acer Predator lol, could just tell. I like the colour but it's not for me. I would like to see a silver and a black version, much more suitable for the everyday user. Has nice specs and has HDMI so it will sell regardless of colour. Paint is cheap, paint it what ever colour you want.

6. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

nice monitor ruined by gash color scheme. looks like i'll be sticking with my 2407 for a long time yet.

7. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

Fairly nice specs, shame about the colour and price. Far too chavtastic for me. I'll leave this one to people with more money than taste.

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

specs look good. but why can't Asus understand the concept of cool looking bezel? may be they should hire some Samsung designers, Samsung Aqua series looks fantastic

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Acer

10. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

why is everyone so negative about this thing? I for one like the colour and the fact that there's finally a screen targetted at whet these things are most used for. There's more then enough black and silver screens for the rest of you.

I think Acer made a bold move by not going for mainstream and really building a monitor for one use case. We're all modders because we didn't like all PC's looking the same, and now we are discouraging companies to differentiate on a monitor?

Anyway, kudos to Acer for going off the beaten track, and not screwing up. Too bad they loose all brownies by trying to appeal to people with a 50k contrast ratio.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Indeed - it's nice to have something different and the finish is really quite good. Black plastic is just boring sometimes, although I resent that because it's "gaming" it must be "crazy coloured".

12. Xtrafresh

Haha, so true! Somehow everybody that doesn't play a lot of games (including designers it seems) apparently have "gaming" listed as a synonym for "13375|<1llz0rzkthxBBQ!!!1ONE!!".

Ahem

Anyway, the point is that they are at least trying i guess. Far too long have we waited for Apple to make us the next nice looking part, so we would then need to mod it back to Vista so the games work. If more companies step into this, one or the other will get it right sooner or later :D

13. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

I think the monitor looks pretty good actually. A bit of a 'look at me' monitor, but if that thing was in metallic blue, I'd give it a thumbs up. Personally I'd rather get another 20WGX2 though. Oh and I love glossy screens. Once you go glossy, you don't go back.

14. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Acer made that monitor purely to go with their Predator "gaming" PC. Yes it is nice, yes it is expensive and yes the colour isn't to everyone's taste but it will sell regardless because it has "gaming" in the title.

15. rollo

rollo Modder

its a nice moniter

gray and blacks are getting anoying. I dont live in a church or dead peoples zone

16. Jojii

Jojii hardware freak

watch dogs

So does it do any good to actually check to see if the manufactures are fibbing on their specs? Does it do any good to the consumer to know that the dynamic contrast ratio is actually 20,000:1 instead of 100,000:1? Are instruments like these CS-200 something that people should have with them when purchasing a monitor? So many questions that don't really need answers as long as the experience to the user is good. What more can somebody ask for.

17. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

I've got the cheapo P243W version of this monitor.. more or less the same, except with a dynamic contrast ratio of 3,000:1..

Great monitor, I'm really pleased with it.. The viewing angles aren't great, but I can live with that.

18. bothaus

bothaus What's a Dremel?

50000:1? Ha ha ha ha ha ha.
    It's TN? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
    POS.
    When TN gets 176º+ angles and stops claiming they have 2ms panels (that get beat by 8ms MVA/IPS)
    TN color is lame as well. Bit-Tech needs to check Delta E on these things instead of saying "Well, looks good here" for color.
    Glossy is great though as the matte stuff just smears the glare over the entire screen the gloss actually absorbs the glare in sunlight. Minus the direct spot. The rest is diffused.

19. Red 5

Red 5 What's a Dremel?

Any chance of bit-tech reviewing the Yuraku 24" which kenco_uk and Xtrafresh so eagerly recommend? I know Xtrafresh did his user review, but an 'official' confirmation would be nice.

Last edited: 4 Sep 2008
  20. Xtrafresh

I would really like to see some kind of 24" - 28" roundup. There's a lot of affordable 1920x1200 panels popping up lately, and obviously they offer a major advantage: they are full HD. More and more readers are switching from 20 or 22 to a full-HD model, and almost every one makes a thread here :D

Bindi, what do you think about this?

Tags: Add Tags