1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

greased cat 5 cable?

Discussion in 'General' started by chrisb2e9, 4 Sep 2008.

1. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

it also has to be blue....

2. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

well now i'm just confused. mushky said the black ones were better. :D

Last edited: 4 Sep 2008
  3. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i am making fun of the above, any colour cable will do, some are better than others at reflecting external energy than others, but that is up to you.

4. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I thought all colors are equal. Now you guys are being racist!

5. studentgaza

studentgaza What's a Dremel?

i think puttin the cable thru conduit would fine, ive done this a few times and havnt had any problems

6. PhenomRed

PhenomRed What's a Dremel?

when i worked on a construction site they told me to go to the workshop and get a long weight and a jar of screw holes, so i went, sat down and bummed around for an hour. hey, they told me to...

a few IT guys i've talked to have mentioned running the cable inside a hosepipe, since its water-proof, etc...

7. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

well I talked to one of our electrical and instrumentation guys at the plant I work at and he informed me that a greased cat 5 or a greased coax cable is a cable that has a type of grease injected into the sheathe (or its added as the cable is put in the sheathe) which is slightly pressurized so that if the cable gets punctured the grease comes out instead of water getting in.
    But it has to be made to order you can't just go out and buy it because its rather expensive. but the pvc pipe we put in the ground should be water proof anyway so i'm not going to bother with it.

8. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

If I remember correctly, 5 and 5e is rated for about 100 metres, 6 for about the same distance. I don't know imperial units, but that should be more than enough. Really, you can run 5e and 6 up to 150 metres or more without attenuation problems; the distance limits are only in place as retrofitting for when transmission rates go up to 10Gbps and beyond.

9. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

Actually, if you're running network cables between buildings, water in the cable isn't your biggest issue. You'll have a far larger set of problems if the buildings aren't grounded together; if they're just grounded individually, even if they're only a few feet apart, it's possible for them to have two very different ground potentials. Then, when you plug the network cable in to two pieces of equipment with vastly different grounds, you'll be lucky if everything crashes instead of just catching fire.

10. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

IIRC all the twisted pairs are also sheathed in plastic, so getting water inside of the CAT cable would'nt be to bad unless it was pressurized
    /noob?

11. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

I need some more of that and a more 710 and my 710 cover is upside down too, so i need to get a new one installed.

12. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

are you serious here? it's hard to tell with the tone of this thread. i've run ethernet between tons of different buildings, buried, strung between 2nd story windows, etc, and never had any problems. how would you go about grounding buildings together?

13. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

you screw cables onto each building and then tie them to the same tree. Then they are both grounded the same

14. mushky

mushky gimme snails

That is a good idea!

15. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

Yes, I was being completely serious. I don't think it commonly causes problems, but the possibility is very much there. If the buildings are very close to each other (and they probably are, if cat-5 is acceptable) then there's unlikely to be an issue. To ground the buildings together would techincally be as simple as running a normal electrical wire from some piece of grounded metal in each building. I'm pretty sure there's a correct way of doing it, though, and I've no clue what it might be.

16. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

duh, everyone knows a red cable with white "go faster" stripes runs quicker than all other cables

edit: sorry, there is a huge ammount of bull flying around here so sorry for my useless input! better go get a bucket of steam....

17. RTT

RTT #parp

He's talking about ground loops and they are very important to consider in communication or audio equipment :thumb: It was drilled into us when I did my CCNA & CCNP.

18. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

The thought of a greased cable probably stems from old telecommunications cables. They were (are?) filled with grease to prevent water damage. I don't think they make cat5 cables like this, though. Cat5 isn't made to work over long distances anyway, so it's probably never been an issue. Fiber optics is a more viable option.

Actually, a Cat5 cable could be Coax, but it would probably be called something else by then. (Cat 6e?) Just twist 8 thin coax cables. I don't know if this is a good idea, though.

Optocouplers ;)

Normally the whole process of getting buildings to the same ground potential is a bit hard to do. Especially over large distances. (Since there could be some pretty heavy currents flowing there the cable would have to be pretty solid. (We are not talking ESD here)). Fiber optic cable is probably the most common thing used today, especially on installations with lots of traffic and high demands on uptime/security.

You could also use small transformers to make a galvanic separation. I don't know if this is widely used on data lines since the inductance of the coils could affect signals. This method is used on cable TV cables some places. This is very important if you have a TV that's grounded, and you use cable TV. The difference in earth potential could easily kill your TV. Not all TVs are grounded, but computers tend to be.

19. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Hahaha.

I used to pull cable though office buildings, bundles of 100's of CAT-5/6.

The greased part referrers to adding grease, or lubricant to the cables exterior to make pulling it easy.

In some cases I've had to pull 5" of cable though 5" conduit, friction is not your friend, lubricating the exterior of the cables makes them pull easier.

I'd assume that this is what he meant by "greased cables"

20. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

you can buy it but its made to order.

nope, to quote myself,