1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Spore

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 5 Sep 2008.

1. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Step one: Disallow Spore form connecting to Sporepedia

Step 2: Make a race of phallus monsters.

Step 3: ????

Step 4: PROFIT!!!

2. Zut

Zut What's a Dremel?

Nice review.

I've got my copy! :D

3. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

sorry, I so couldn't help myself doing a little editorial there kenco!

I was about to give up games and leave my gaming pc at home while i go to uni. but i might take just this one with me....

where's the cheapest people have found this game?

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

Play is under £30... I paid £35 down at Gamestation because I didn't want to wait and forgot to preorder.

5. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Yep.
    The other way around:
    'Militant Atheists' Criticize Spore's Religion
    Anti-religious groups concerned over Will Wright's latest creation.

But I do... :p

6. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I'd have fault with it to - it says it's about letting you watch your creature evolve, but really all it does is showcase intelligent design through the player.

7. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

first impressions not good: instant crashes before the splash screen even comes up: bit of googling hints it's the copy-protection and ea-download manager failing :duh:

Also, the ea download manager that installs with the game only gives you a login box, you have to search through the manual or google it to find a link to actually register for it...

it's only because i'm looking forward to the game (and online parts) so much that i haven't resorted to a no-cd crack yet :sigh:

EDIT: crashes on vista64 and won't even install in xp64... looking like i may need to install a whole new OS to get this game going :(

Last edited: 5 Sep 2008
  8. r-gator

r-gator What's a Dremel?

Yeah I find it interesting as well that they tout the game as "evolution," but a game based completely on evolution would have no player involvement and thus not be any fun.

9. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

Hope no one creates Rimmer world.:worried:

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

This is the first I've heard of it. And suffice to say, IF I purchase, I'll make sure there's a crack available first. Not that I really care for fighting my games, so I may pass entirely.

11. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I'm going to pass for a while, wait and see what the game plays like. How many people have problems with bugs and security problems. Doesn't really look like what I am looking for at the moment.

12. DOA Draven

DOA Draven What's a Dremel?

No problems installing or running the game.

Have reached the Space Age quiet easily, however it is at this stage my problems start. Was expecting to have a whole galaxy to explore, but end up every time I start defending my two worlds, which get destroyed every time. I'm finding it iimpossible to break out of this cycle, no income, no weapons, no time to gain income, always defending, the Galaxy remains unexplored.

Unless I can find a way out of this vicious circle, frustration will prevent me from from having another go. Guess I'll give it a break, try again another day when I can face defeat again.

13. DOA Draven

DOA Draven What's a Dremel?

Seems that I'm not the only one, judging by the EA Spore forums, which for some reason I'm unable to post on? My account already exists? New account disabled?

Time for a cuppa, chill, relax, load up Lock On instead.

14. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

shush
    :hehe:

15. Toka

Toka Minimodder

16. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

What's the error you get on Vista64? I had some trouble getting mine going on 64 too, but I got it moving in the end. Got the 'key can't be authenticated' ****, but there are hundreds of people getting exactly the same (EA servers dead?) so nothing to be incredibly concerned with.

edit: Didn't intend to buy the game, but creating my own race of murerous.. things is actually a lot of fun.

17. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

I'm only up to tribal so far but every stage has just been a grind fest, you play for 1 min and you have played the whole stage, I did enjoy the cell stage though seeing a big giant monster thing chasing my little guy :D

18. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I wouldn't be surprised to see this game making its way into high school curriculum for explaining animal behaviour or just dicking around. Definitely an educational application to be had.

Great review. I didn't read the article one bit.

19. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Got it going just now finally after several complete re-instals.

was getting this error in the crash log each time:
    Turns out the EA download manager is just plain broken on vista64, as spore will not start up if it's installed (and the installer installs it by default unless you explicitly tell it not to)

Its very addictive though, and i'm still only wandering around the 2nd stage part :)

20. Tim S

Tim S OG

I've not had any problems with EA Download Manager on Vista64, but then Spore was one of the first things I installed on my new install.

Tags: Add Tags