1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming mice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Harrybo, 4 Sep 2008.

1. Harrybo

Harrybo GAMER

Right, I play lots of games and I have a Microsoft Wireless mouse that’s years old and yes I know gaming with a wireless mouse is bad but I seem to have managed over the years. BUT just recently I bought a new screen which is allot bigger and for some reason the mouse is feeling ALOT slower, maybe it’s the higher resolution but I tried to compensate for it by increasing the sensitivity of the mouse, this helped but it still seems to be really slow at reacting. So I have decided to look into buying a new gaming mouse, Razer is obviously my first interest so all I need is a bit of advice really on which mouse to get. Thanks :)

Last edited: 4 Sep 2008
  2. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

The 2408 is a nice monitor - how are you finding it?

I would be quick to recommend something by Razer - they really know their gaming mouses, and something like a DeathAdder or a CopperHead could quickly become your best friend. The Razer samosa Salmosa also looks quite nice.

I have friends who either love or hate their Logitech mice, but I've had a go on a G9, which despite feeling a bit awkward in my hand, was an awesome performer.

As for me, I might have said a few times that I have a Microsoft Habu. Don't ask why I chose that - it just went with my colour scheme, but developed by Razer, its an awesome mouse which has granted me many an hour of pwnage.

Hope it helps,
    MGT

EDIT: Oh and steer clear of the Microsoft Sidewinder...

3. topdog555

topdog555 What's a Dremel?

4. modgodtanvir

Ooh yeah - somebody made a worthwhile purchase :rock:

5. Harrybo

Harrybo GAMER

Thanks for the help guys, I’ve just been looking at all the Razer mice and I’m strung between the copperhead and the lachesis. Do I really need 4000DPI! I don’t think I will ever use such a high sensitivity level and what is the actual performance difference between the invisible 3G infrared laser and the normal red one as the copper head has a normal and the lachesis has the 3G. Thanks

6. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I've got a Logitech G9 and im lovin it. Pair it with a good mousepad and it works amazing!

7. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

I second the G9!

8. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

I just got a G5 and I really like it. The perfect size, and is really comfortable (and I have fairly large hands). Having the adjustable weights, and the adjustable sensitivity on the fly is really nice. And my God it is smooth (of course I came from the basic Microsoft mouse).

Edit: I find it odd how the review puts "Those with larger hands may find it a bit small" for the G5. The G9 is about half the size of a G5, and no mention of size.

Last edited: 5 Sep 2008
  9. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

For a cheaper option, try the Logitech MX518. It's an amazing mouse, I used mine for years until the scroll wheel finally died. Even then, it was still amazingly smooth.

10. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

Seconded!! I still have two of 'em meself (one as a spare) :rock:

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

tell me do you get problems with Habu's senser position? it's lower down than usual mouse.

and im not into one trillian DPI thing, i'd like to play at usual 800DPI, but with higher Mhz setting, i've read reviews saying Laser mouses on lower DPI performs worse than good optical mouses, does Habu pick up really fast movements at low DPI settings?

12. Yotta

Yotta Minimodder

The MX518 gets my vote too.

13. spoon.uk

spoon.uk Frag Me Bitch!

Logitech MX-310 all the way here :)
    Got it for 4+ years now, can't say even one bad word about it, still 1 year warranty left!
    Apart from that I have Logitech G1/MX300 which are both superb :)

Remember mouse won't aim for ya, I have seen people playing on old PS/2 ball mouse with SUCH a good aim!

14. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

15. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I've got a Lachesis at home, and I find it horrible to go from that to mice elsewhere. I'm so used to using 4kDPI it's just painfully slow to use a mouse that's less sensitive.

I love the Lachesis, but honestly, I'd suggest something with a lower DPI (Deathadders are nice if you can find them) for the sake of your frustration with other mice. I carry a Diamondback with me, 1800, and I used to use that before I got the Lachesis, and it was plenty fast enough.

A lot of people rant and rave about the Logitech G5 or something, I expect that's also got to be worth the moolah.

I found the Diamondback to be much less 'throwy' on non-mouse mat surfaces. I've used it happily on laminate floor, bare desk, carpet, a wall, train table. Well, a lot of places, and it's been fine. The Lachesis throws a wobbly if it's not on a mat, cursor jumps, erratic movement, basically, NFG. It is absolutely fine on mats, though.

16. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

I would definitely suggest you try both a Razer mouse and a Logitech - they're very different, and in my experience, people tend to prefer one or the other. I'm a fan of the Logitech shape, myself - Razers give me cramps. Your results probably will vary, so look around before you buy.

17. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

There's no doubting it's a very nice mouse (as most of Logitech's gaming mice are)... but having just the one side button spoils it for me :(

I still enjoy using my Logitech MediaPlay's (I have one in each colour :p) on my laptop: [​IMG] [​IMG] :rock:

I got meself a MX Revolution this week as well... but he shape of it is gonna take a little getting used to, after using 'standard' shaped mice for so long :idea:

18. modgodtanvir

The sensor is indeed a mm or two lower down than the usual position, but I don't think this creates any problems at all. On that note, the sensor on the Habu (which I believe is by Razer) is just amazing, and unbelievably responsive.

When I first got the Habu, I was a bit of a noob, and didn't bother with DPI adjustment so it stuck at 800DPI for a few months. Even at 800DPI, the performance of the Habu eclipsed the performance of other mice I had before (all optical). The movements seemed so responsive - and my kills increased tenfold...

It was then that I decided to read the instruction booklet - and I bravely adjusted it to 2000DPI and ZOMG! It was unbelievable. I'm not that avid a gamer, but my gosh was it awesome to use. It was like going from Fiesta to Evo and then going from Evo to Veyron. I would really recommend that you gave higher DPIs another shot - my experiences have been none but positive.

19. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Let us know how that goes. I was looking at one today, but heard mixed views. Some people liked it allot, some complained about poor reception and the off switch dragging on certain surfaces.

20. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

im sold! buying that Habu in FS section later today