1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard drives issues with Applecoreduo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cyprio, 6 Sep 2008.

1. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Hey all,

I have just filled my waterloop and was planning to go ahead and install Vista this evening but have run into some odd HDD issues. I am using 2 80gb Momentus 7200.2 laptop drives. I have them powered using a single molex to 2 SATA plugs splitter. When i start up with both of them connected using the splitter i get odd whining noises from the drives and only one is recognised in the BIOS. When i boot them up individually using a SATA plug direct from the PSU they are each recognised on their respective SATA ports fine. Unfortunately the only other SATA i have is on the DVD drive...

Hmm writing this i might just try to connect that one up and see if they both boot fine. Getting your thoughts down in writing helps negate the beer ive been drinking! :)

Anyway is it feasible that the splitter doesnt provide enough power to each SATA plug on it and thats why i am having problems?

Thanks.

Cyp.

2. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

Feasible... yea... probable... probably not, but you never know. For 1 Molex connector to not put out the 35-45W necessary to run 2 hard drives is hard to believe.

Definitely try running the two drives off the direct power, and try connecting the Molex adapter to the optical drive, they don't require much.

3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

considering there 2.5in HDD i am surprised that a single molex couldn't power it. Did you make the splitter or buy it? If you made it i suggest remaking it. pins molex end might be in the wrong places resulting in a 7v output which might be the issue...

4. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Well the HDDs seem to be running fine with separate SATA power leads... just means some re-wiring to accommodate the changes. :)

Cyp