1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Mercenaries 2: World in Flames

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 9 Sep 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. spoon.uk

spoon.uk Frag Me Bitch!

It might be worth a try! Graphics looks rather poor on some screens?

3. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

wow it really does look like a PS2 port, scary!

4. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

I been playing this game on the PS3 this week, and I thought it was pretty good. The graphics on the PS3 are superb, and this is definitely a game where you want to sit back on the couch and relax, watching the explosions on a big TV. Plus, the character controls seem to work well with a control pad (being 3rd person ish).

The Co-op mode on the PS3 is via PSN, which atleast means its free unlike the 360 version. I didnt even realise there was a PC version of this game. This is definitely a game made for consoles, and released on the PC as a kind of 'meh... might as well.'

5. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I never played the first but if it is promising non linear pointless game play with BIG explosions it may be worth it.

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

played it myself. crappy graphics, bad mouse controls (or may be because of my £8 mouse) helicopter REQUIRE a xbox360 controller, vehicles are not as fun as GTA games.

but the explorsions are good. for that and if for the petrol, it's worth it. otherwise it's only worth it if you enjoy blowing up everything you see

7. Daniel114

Daniel114 What's a Dremel?

Thread title spelt wrong

8. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I'm sold lol.

9. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

In many of the scenes you could think that you were just playing a GTA:SA mod.
    Sounds like it could be fun for a bit but I doubt that I will be picking it up.

10. djDEATH

djDEATH Habari gani?

yup - really poor port of the console version.

i was surprised in this day and age, to spend MONEY on a modern game, only to find that NOT A SINGLE 16:10 format resolution was available for me to choose. Its 4:3 stretched or 16:9 stretxched. And bnecause my monitor doesnt support using hardware black bars at the bottom and top i have taken this back to the shop and got a refund.

absolute rubbish.

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

ah, yeah. it's a bummer.

running 1600x900 on my 1680x1050 monitor with nVidia scaling settings. looks acceptable. and the water looks great, but i just wish they put higher resolution textures, it's just way too low

12. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

All this talk of excellent explosions and no screenies? Otherwise good review.

13. Haramzadeh

Haramzadeh Son of Sin

This games seems like rubbish. I'll pass.

14. Tim S

Tim S OG

To think I paid for this to bring you guys the review. :waah:

15. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

totally garbage game. I have a steering wheel hooked up to my pc and it FORCED me to have controls assigned to it.

And whats wit the stupid icons that represent controls. when you hijack a vehicle you have to press the button that icon represents but i've no clue what the icon is. Why not be like real games and just say what key it is I have to press?

Graphic settings are a joke. For widescreen I had TWO options. 1920x1080 or 1280 x 786.
    So I ran the thing in 1920x1080 as it wouldnt even scale the 1280x760 properly. Instead it just displayed at 1920x1080 and had black borders all the way around.

Obviously this game is not very graphic intense. Ive got a AMD 6000+ and a HD3870 and have my video card forced at 12xAA and 16xAF and ran the game on max settings except water detail and it ran fairly smooth. The TEXT even had jaggies!!!!!

Controls were garbage. Mouse sensitivity sucked.

Utter Trash. I couldnt even enjoy the free roaming part of the game because of the massive fail.

16. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Haven't tried the PC version yet, but the 360 version is a blast.

17. Haramzadeh

Haramzadeh Son of Sin

Poor you. :-(

I mean blowing up stuff is fun, but why buy a 2nd rate game like this for that. Crysis has awsome explosions too, and Crysis Warhead comes out real soon and that looks like its going to be packed with fireworks. :D

18. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

i've been playing this game for 2 days now on my PC.... (got the game for free... i have "friends") here's my review:

+ lotsa explosions.
    + lotsa killing.
    + artillery strikes is always fun. always.
    + crazy and fun sandbox that you can decimate pretty much anything (love flattening up a building filled with lots of enemies with those bomb strikes. one second u have 20 people shooting at you, the next you have a pile of rubbles of glory. beauty.)
    + taking over a tank and helicopter is a load of fun.
    + motorcycle is fast and fun. albeit takes abit of time to get used to. tanks are even better. chopper with 40 AT missiles are best.
    + story is ok, and the hostile/friendly faction system is good.
    + good cutscenes and dialogs (and accents), making me chuckle every now and then.

- vehicle controls can be frustrating. here's my tips: other than the jetski, dont travel by water. period.
    - some quests can be repetitive (this is not necessarily a bad thing). some. not most. most are "ok".
    - where the **** is the LOAD GAMES button???
    - port issues can be pretty annoying. i hate remembering what each icon looks like. u climb on the barrel of a tank, and the game wants u to QUICKLY repeatedly push the it-looks-like-a-hand-button-oh-it's-too-late. try again.
    - controls can be annoying. aiming down a barrel still have no accuracy whatsoever and no zoom out look and ur stuck with 1 view. not customizable too. period.

---------------------- graphic (minus the explosion and smoke) looks like PS2 port. nuff said. i cant turn on AA. resolution is utterly crappy. its ridicolous.

overall: lotsa fun. minus a couple annoyance. but still fun. just dont play this for the graphic. just DO NOT. its ugly. damn ugly.

i rate it 7/10.

19. kempez

kempez modding again!

The PS3 version looks OK and the controls make much more sense than they seem to have done on the PC. I like the game, it's a good fun non-thinker of a game with shed-loads of explosions :D

Doesn't Bit-Tech think they should clarify the fact that they're playing the PC game in the title? It's a little misleading otherwise imo and will put a lot of console owners off the game who just skim read or skip pages

Last edited: 9 Sep 2008
  20. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

WATCH THE **** OUT IT'S TECHNO VIKING

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tags: Add Tags