1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows STALKER: Clear Sky?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Guest-16, 5 Sep 2008.

1. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

oh wow, thats pretty close to the beginning! :p
    yeah looks like your **** is pretty well ****ed, what i've taken to doing is making checkpoint saves so that if my quicksave or autosave gets corrupted i dont have to start hours and hours back
    this is what mine looks like http://www.frools.net/stalker/ss_hamish_09-07-08_16-40-25_(garbage).jpg

the guides are a nice idea but they never seem to be able to take me where i want to go so i tend to run everywhere too
    and with my hoarding instinct that can take quite a while :(

finding artifacts 101:
    1) get the good scanner
    2) follow the dot
    3) get zapped
    4) ?????
    5) pick up artifact
    6) run the **** away :D

seriously though, the basic scanner you get is utterly worthless, you can buy a decent one later for about 1500 that has a radar type screen with a dot showing you where the artifact is which makes it actually possible to pick them up \o/
    basically i think once you get close enough to the artifact it kinda rolls out of the anomaly and becomes visible so you can pick it up

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Fair enough.

Yea I told you it was early on :( I've played a load more but not with getting more story done so nothing else actually happens - you just mince around for hours on end.

EDIT: Well I updated it to the unofficial patch from the STALKER forums and now my game doesn't run *at all*. Meh

3. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

lol
    i've got a fun bug atm, all the Duty guys in Dark Valley are now neutral to me (im IN Duty...) and start shooting at me if i get too close
    sigh :p

4. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Hmm might wait a year or so for this.

5. Matticus

Matticus ...

After hearing this I am sooooo glad I cancelled my pre order. I don't think I could cope with all the bugs. Are these guys just rubbish at coding or are THQ the most inpatient publishers of all time and want it out even before its finished. If I remember rightly the first one was going to have vehicles but THQ wanted it out sooner, the mods with the vehicles were pretty amazing though.

6. fargo

fargo What's a Dremel?

can't say you guys in the U K were so lucky getting this game first because of a printing error for usa deliveries.
    I just pre ordered it from steam for the 15th sept, so by then hopefully some or most of the bugs will be worked
    out. nice thing about steam they keep on top of patches.

7. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I guess this needs a few more patches and a big TC Mod, and then it'll be great. How do they get away with releasing games so buggy? It's not like it's been ages since the previous game either, no-one would have cared less if they'd spend another 6 months on it.

Maybe they ran out of money?

8. Darth Joules

Darth Joules Minimodder

Agreed. Mince, frag, grind, mince, shoot, grind, repeat. Is it just me or does Stalker Clear Sky start to feel a bit like a single player MMO now?

You may have accidentally hit a Duty ally in a fire fight, will instantly turn a friendly faction from green to yellow and neutral. Has happened to me too.

Has worked only once for me in similar mission in Garbage. They took 4-5 game hours to arrive. Second time I got a similar such mission the buggers didn't turn up at all....after 9 game hours waiting. I have heard somewhere that exiting the area and re-entering it sometimes cures this glitch.

I'm having fun playing SCS, but not really feeling any love for it. The fighting and faction wars are all well and good though there is a distinct lack of a certain je ne sais qui that gave the original its distinct atmosphere. A Lack of anything scary or horror. Except for random corpses disappearing in a loud bang when I loot them making me jump out of my seat, but that's a bug. Other than random CTDs by the xRay Engine its mostly glitches rather than bugs that have ruined my experiance. Also annoyed that bloodsuckers don't take any damage now when invisble and whenever a NPC pins you into a corner as they badger you or push you right into a wall/object where you're stuck. Worst one is loosing all the expensive upgrades on your safely stashed equipment after getting mugged.

Found a way to avoid blowouts. They appear to happen only when you enter an area and apparently it isn't random event but a proximity detection. Re-load your quick save until you get the area you've travelled to without a blowout warning. It's a about 1 in 3 chance of a blowout free entry load if you use this method.

BTW, AA is disabled for DX9 mode in the user.ltx. Turning it on appears to do nothing with. However apparently forcing FSAA or Supersampling FSAA in the nVidia Control Panel will get you AA in DX9 mode.

9. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

It seems that releasing broken products with the hope of later patches has become standard for the gaming industry. I guess in the last ten years with the widespread availability of the Internet as a patch delivery system, publishers have become sloppy.

It doesn't happen in other areas of industry. You don't buy a car and expect the wheels to be added in a later patch.

10. mushky

mushky gimme snails

But you know what the car will be expected to run on i.e. roads etc.
    The range of hardware available makes the gaming industry very different

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

We sort of fixed it today:

Completely fresh Vista install.

Works so far.

12. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

naw, it was only that one squad of duty guys in that one section
    the rest of them were still green

atm i've given up because its CTD'ing every 10mins
    wait for next patch and try again, should be able to tear through the early stages pretty quickly now that i know what the **** im doing :p
    and more importantly, how to get myself assloads of cash \o/

13. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

On a completely blank hard drive, yeah. It's kind of stable now.

14. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

what's especially annoying is all the way up to hospital area, hours and hours of gameplay, it was pretty damn solid
    i had these weird bugs with faction warfare but it never crashed, then all of a sudden it started CTD'ing all the damn time :(

15. Darth Joules

Darth Joules Minimodder

I restarted the game with the patch to 1.5.0003 last night and I didn't get a single CTD after playing Marshes and Cordon. So that's good. Bad news now though is that every stash box in a base or camp is filled to gills with oodles of ammo and supplies when previously they were all empty. That forced me to conserve, horde anything I could find as I frequently got dangerously low throughout the (unpatched) game. Patched, looting bodies is a bit pointless and has made the game too easy now with these virtually abundant supplies. :grr: I suppose the upside to this is I no longer need to grind away earning extra cash anymore.

16. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Bindi had that error too I think.

Review tomorrow.

17. Daniel114

Daniel114 What's a Dremel?

I've only had a few hours on it so far, (after a fresh OS install) but as of yet haven't had any problems with it at all.

With latest patch ofcourse

Last edited: 11 Sep 2008
  18. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

If this thread is anything to go by then that review is bound to be epic. :hehe:

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yer game is fudged. Check the inventory screen to see how much money you've earnt or spent - mine went astronomical.

20. Darth Joules

Darth Joules Minimodder

No nuts monetary deductions or gains yet, it's stayed normal....so far. But I have found the bug that caused your game to crash everytime you spoke to the Loner faction leader in Cordon.

It appears that if any important character (marked in blue on the PDA) is off their designated mark by even the smallest amount the game will crash if you try to talk to them. The exception being the guides, who just become uncooperative which has happened twice in the Marshes. I've just experienced an extreme form of this happening in Cordon. Loaded up a saved game within the Loner faction's Cordon base and saw that the repairman Van Loner had disappeared. He wasn't on his seat. Opening the PDA and then highlighting one the "find the flashstick with yadda, yadda" mini-quest I found him wondering about outside aimlessly like a bow-legged chimpanzee (see below). Talked to him and the game crashed.

Where did he go?
    Ah, found him...
    And there he is.

This has frequently happened after patching, the unpatched game didn't do this. Important charcters stayed put, as did the guides more or less so.

Another effing annoying bug I've found, in both patched and unpatched games (in other words it hasn't been fixed). Whenever I stashed any pimped out weapons or armour then leave that area for a new one, when I returned back all the upgrades I've applied to them had disappeared. Didn't appear to effect pre-pimped weapons I've picked up along the way.

Well either I'll go back to play it unpatched (it seemed far less buggy :eyebrow:) or this game is history for me. Shameful that you pay good money for game and it plays like an unfinshed buggy beta.

Tags: