1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Excel Masters, offer me your insight? :)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Joosh, 11 Sep 2008.

1. Joosh

Joosh What's a Dremel?

Hey guys I'm working on a dynamic spreadsheet that contains data on my customers, at the moment over various cells I have the details on Address, Phone Numbers, Contacts etc.

At the end of each row I have a spare cell that is assigned for containing details on the customers hardware and serial numbers etc.

I am wondering how I can use one cell per row to contain potentially multiple paragraphs of data. I have looked on the net for a while now and have not been able to turn up anything, I have tried using comments but they didn't work the way I had hoped.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Joosh

2. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

first question: how're you populating? Manually or with an application/script?

3. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

alt+enter will give you a new line within a cell.. but what you're working on sounds very much like a customer database... use a database application for doing this kind of thing.

4. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

+1

A simple database is easy to setup. If you really don't want to, then put some sort of "Reference ID" in the cell and have another spreadsheet of Ref IDs and details, then you can just lookup the Ref ID and find the details.

5. Boldar

Boldar Minimodder

Ah the old "I need to set up a database, I know I'll create a spreadsheet."

As Buzzons said, use a database, you'll have much better indexing and searching functions available.

6. Joosh

Joosh What's a Dremel?

Ahh but I really do hate microsoft access, and I know excel very well. Can anyone suggest a good freeware databasing application? Or does not a thing exist? Something simple would be nice :)

Joosh

7. Lone_Wolf

Lone_Wolf What's a Dremel?

you could to the same thing with mysql and a simple php coded site. or access as much as you might hate it its good for small databases.