1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 12 Sep 2008.

1. Vode

Vode What's a Dremel?

I'm Australian and it's been out here for the same amount of time, I'm pretty sure NA is the only place it isn't out yet - when it's out for most of the world how can a review on how the game is at the time of writing be 'bogus'.

I've decided to try and see things through on 1.5.03... The game will either work flawlessly for a few hours, or crash every ten minutes or so. I'm getting enough long play times that it's been bearable and I'll try and go through until the end.

2. Tim S

Tim S OG

Yep, I agree :)

Don't forget we also said that there are two ways to score the game - it could've been a 7 or 8 had we just ignored its bug-infested state, or it could've been a 2 or 3 (like we ended up scoring it) when you take into account the instability and bugginess.

3. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

It IS seen in other walks of life. George W. Bush, a half developed human. And now his party puts forth Caribou Barbie as a VP choice.
    I'd prefer half baked games rather than half baked governance!

I hope the game gets patched, I have STALKER SoC here, it came with my ROG motherboard. I would like to play both. Companies, large or small should know that 1) releasing buggy games is always a bad idea, regardless of what some half wit MBS suit says. 2) Releasing games with DRM are likewise a bad idea. It seems that in the last few months both of these issues have reared their ugly heads.

Yours in Radioactive Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

Last edited: 13 Sep 2008
  4. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

yep, played about 9-10 hours with the new patch and 2 or 3 CTDs, better than before but not totally fixed
    game is much improved with this patch tho, faction warfare seems to work properly for one!
    am going to launch an assault on the duty base soon :naughty:

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Are you Freedom too? I pimped out the rifle they gave me completely - it's heavy as a lead brick but it's accuracy is phenomenal :D

6. Lockinvar

Lockinvar What's a Dremel?

I completely agree. I think bit-tech made a tough but correct call.

7. Jonelo

Jonelo What's a Dremel?

I remenber another game , absolutely unplayable in my systems . Even today . Splinter Cell Double Agent, not work in a 8800 series normally , and in another PC also is unplayable in some points by the bugs . And is a very good game , A 9 game ;)

"For all the moans, the overall experience is a really fun one, a really exciting one, and one that really gives you that 'this is the future of gaming' tingly feeling. If you have a 360, or a PC capable * of running the game happily, you'll have a great time with Double Agent - just don't expect it to everything you dreamed of."

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2006/11/08/splinter_cell_double_agent/2

8. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

i went Duty the first time round, this time i went Freedom
    Freedom is the better choice imo
    and their barman is a pothead :D

Duty give you an AK with ROF mods, its nice but it tears through ammo too fast, i also had a rof modded M4 thing which tore through my 5.56 ammo aswell lol
    the SIG with accuracy mods freedom give you is win though, you dont need rof when you can just put every shot into their face :p
    also doesnt destroy it self so ridiculously fast
    i do miss the grenade launcher tho :(

so i wiped out the duty base, unfortunately they respawn...
    bit disappointing and slightly hilarious, theres like 20 freedom guys just wandering around the duty base but the main building is jammed full of respawned duty guys
    and they dont shoot at each other :p

i got like 11k reward + some random crap for basically taking all of agropom though :naughty: (and then spent all of it fixing my guns and armour sigh :()
    need to go wipe out hte rest of them in army warehouses and red forest now though i think ;)

9. Vode

Vode What's a Dremel?

Anyone else noticed the practically infinite money you can get from selling the expensive AP ammo you find in the stashes at most major Stalker camps?

It seems to refill slightly every Stalker that visits the camp, they also contain First Aid kits, launcher grenades, anti-rad, etc.

10. Berk

Berk Where's the Hammer?

Patch 1.5.0.4 should have limited that a bit, as those stashes were apparently overfilling and causing crashes.

Also, I'd rather have the AP ammo than the money, it's much easier to put bad men down with the AP ammo than the standard stuff.

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

The game was reviewed on the Xbox 360 before the PC version even came out - we hadn't even seen the PC version at that point and it makes both of these points very clear at the start of the article. Also, it was reviewed by the previous Editor of the site, who left the team almost 18 months ago. The editorial policy has moved forwards since then and I believe we're a lot stricter on what products 'make the grade'.

12. andybones

andybones What's a Dremel?

got the game and patched it up.will see how it plays.

13. thurauh1

thurauh1 What's a Dremel?

I find it highly interesting that the 8800 Nividia graphics cards tend to crash games. Both Mass Effect and now Stalker: Clear Sky seem not to playing well on 8800 cards. Nvidia seem to have released faulty products, then?

On the Mass Effect forums many people have mentioned that the can play the game if they play the game with the 175.19 drivers - not the higher numbered drivers.

Some reviews - maybe this one too? complains that the game(play) now is too hard. And to that I just have to say -eh?-

It is some sort of a requirement that a sequel or prequel need lesser or more easier gameplay than the first one?

14. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I really wanna play this game. I really do. But between the laser guided grenades, the many extremely annoying ways to die, and the fact that my game has now started to crash 2 minutes after loading my save file without fail is really starting to bug me.

15. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Not at all, and since Rich and I have both played the first STALKER extensively and were already familiar with the game and how to play it it was kind of hard to judge if it's harder.

In the end, I think it is a little bit harder (though that isn't a bad thing) - not as a result of the enemies or environment however, but because of the controls and interface. Personally I find it very hard to keep track of my own movements, those of the squad I'm with, who's an enemy and who isn't, how low my health is and whether or not I'm bleeding, as well as how hungry I am, how much ammo is left, condition of a gun and so on and so on. In the really big fights it can all get a bit much.

I wouldn't say the difficulty is a problem however for good FPS players.

16. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I've now completed it, not a single bug, nothing. Rather enjoyed it actually...

And yes, it is a difficult game. I remeber the first mission in Shadow of Chernobyl was seemingly impossible for me at first as I wasn't use to the gunplay of it.

17. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

i would say it is a fair bit harder than the first one tbh, pretty much made up for by not having the guns available to you in the first 3/4 of the game being utterly useless though ;)

also, you really dont need to keep track of the condition of your gun and how hungry you are during a fight
    aside from keeping track of where your retard AI teammates are its the same as any other FPS during fights

PS, have now got duty down to strength 7 :D
    think thats just the guys that respawned in the building, will have to go wipe them out again and see what happens lol

18. WeenFan

WeenFan What's a Dremel?

Hello Bit-Tech. I registered specifically to let you know how much I appreciate the honest review. I've seen too many mainstream reviews ignore the bugs and crashes of CS and it's time for game developers (great and small) to face the music.

Last week, back when the GSC forums were working (ahem), I read a similar tale from someone who claimed to have been an artist for several AAA game titles. It was a very well-written and fair review, I felt. He spoke of "class-c" and "class-b" bugs and that because Clear Sky had even one single "class-a" bug (I assume this is the CTD or BSoD), that it was an utter disaster and that, clearly, there was no play-testing done.

It was because of this review that I canceled my Amazon preorder. Your review is independent verification although I've read plenty of similar experiences in the GSC and other forums. I've also seen the bizarre reactions similar to Lepermessiah's: that crashes are the fault of the reviewer for not making use of patches. I'm not sure how many foot-pounds of pressure the blow to their heads were to make them think the way they do, but I assume they're all receiving medical care. And good for them!

By the way, I absolutely LOVE the first Stalker game. I've said more than once that it is the best single-player PC game experience I've ever had. To those of you who've mentioned owning but not playing SHoC through...do yourselves a favor: patch it to 1.0004 or 1.0005 and install the Oblivion Lost 2.2 mod. You will not regret it. Rock solid, bugs removed, game enhanced in just about every way. I'm playing it through for the fourth or fifth time, I think? Out of the "love it or hate it" camp, I'm the director of the Love Camp, so you can imagine my heartbreak at hearing how abysmal these reviews are. Shouldn't we expect to get as great a gaming experience out of the box as we get after 5 patches and a squad of mods? I believe we should.

By the way x2, I'm an American supporting Barak Obama. Not all of us are bat-**** Mcrazy. However, assuming all of them show up to vote, can I stay at your place while I look for a job/residence in England? Or Australia? I've always wanted to go there too!

Thanks,
    WeenFan

19. AsSuLuTo

AsSuLuTo Boing boing boing!

Just a quick one guys. What was the main guts of the testbed?

I'm running the following and I've played it for hours straight on a used build straight from the first patch released without a single crash or BSOD...surely I can't be the only one?

Vista Ultimate X64
    E6750 @ Stock
    DFI LT X38 T2R
    2x 3870 in crossfire using 8.7's initially and now 8.8's
    4GB RAM @ Stock
    WD Velociraptor

I updated to the same patches you did and played it pretty much nonstop over the weekend, the only annoyances I had was with the strangely balanced gameplay e.g. blasting someone square in the face with a shotgun only to have him run up to me and kill me with some crafty halitosis. As far as the game itself goes the performance has been a bit clunky in places (though I think thats down to over ambigous quality settings on my behalf) or occasional stuttering when the game is loading new territory.

Comments? Feedback?

20. ozz1988

ozz1988 What's a Dremel?

Tags: Add Tags