1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Wrong results?

Discussion in 'General' started by liquid_gen, 15 Sep 2008.

1. liquid_gen

liquid_gen What's a Dremel?

I got my AS results a while ago and they weren't bad but I could have done better if I had studied more. In maths however, 2 of the modules I was sure I did really well in (I was expecting to lose only a few marks in each maybe for silly mistakes) but I got Bs in those. At first I didnt think much of it, that maybe I overestimated how well I did but now Im starting to think whether I could have been given the wrong grades.

Im really considering this a possibility now as Ive checked the mark scheme which has been released and from memory and looking at what the questions were about, I dont think I could have lost many marks.

Does anyone know if wrong marks a given out often? Are there any statistics?

Obviously Im going to look into it with my teachers by requesting some post results service but I just wanted to see what you could tell me.

Also, the deadline for photocopies(alone) of scripts has passed so its either a remark(possibly with a photocopy) or the original. I dont want to get the original cos if something did go wrong I cant get it remarked but a remark is also quite expensive and im not sure i want to spend around £40 if I may just have done worse than I thought. What do you think I should do?

Thanks in advance

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

It can happen, and if it's important enough to you (and you're really sure), I'd get a remark if I were you. :)

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

How far off an A are you? Is it something you can easily make up with your A2?

Speak to your exam tutor about your concerns, if your teachers can back you up the school may pay for it.

4. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

I'd have a nice long chat with your exams tutors... I think the idea with remarks is that they cost quite a bit, but you get your money back if you go up a grade...

At our school, someone got a D in their AS French only to find that there had in fact been a mix up and she had gotten full marks... (Which is a relief because she's French :p)

5. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Yeah, a guy I know was told he got 58% in a chemistry paper, but when they re-marked it, it turned out the 5 was supposed to be a 9, and the examiner just had bad handwriting. modgodtanvir is right - if they made a mistake and you go up a grade, they refund your £40.

6. liquid_gen

I have two more questions Id like to try and answer before I go to see my teachers tomorrow.
    1) The maths papers said to use "black ink" but I didnt (and dont think I could have) known so I had to use what I had, "blue ink". Someone asked one of my teachers and the teacher said it wasnt really a problem and it was just in case you wanted a photocopy to make sure it copied well. Anyone know if I could have been penalised for using blue ink? Do they usually tell you when marks are lost for something like that?
    2) Can anyone help me find a document on the OCR website which i think i saw a while ago. i think it shows how the raw marks were converted to UMS marks this year--as in not the process but what specific marks translated to in UMS. As maybe I did well in the exam but as many people did even better I ended up with a B.
    Thanks for all your input

7. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

1) They can only deduct marks for things they say they will deduct marks for (if that makes sense). If it said "you may loose marks for not using black ink" then maybe they will, if it didn't then they won't.

If you are only a few marks from an A then I would say it's worth a remark, I got a remark for my AS electronics paper and moved from a B to an A, so it does happen!

8. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Could be bad UMS conversion. I know some of my coursework I did well in, but it was so easy that I got a low UMS mark.

9. liquid_gen

Well i just ordered a remark with a photocopy of the script. Set me back £49. Now I just have to wait and hopefully OCR will find that they ****ed up somewhere

10. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

The most likely answer is that your paper probably wasn't marked. The people that mark papers get paid a stunning 23p per paper, and at around 15 mins per paper, that really isn't a lot. What actually happens is that they mark a selection of papers spread out over the predictions range, and then compare that sample with the predictions, and mark the remaining papers to line up with the general trend of the sample.

It is an atrocity of the first order.

11. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

Where did you get that from? I know for certain that a few years ago it was about £3 per GCSE paper so it seems odd that AS/A2 wouldn't be similar.

12. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

That is simply not true, you can request a photocopy of your exam paper if you do not believe me - then mark it yourself. Something like that would not be kept a secret for long.
    By the way a paper is about £3-5, not 23p.

13. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

Utter toss.

14. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

I would advise you to seek a re-mark cause when i did my AS-levels i recived an E on my business studies module 1 paper but after a re-mark i got a A.

some times a remark is a good idea besides if you are good at maths you will just hae a same mark after the re-mark so wont be loosing much

15. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

That information was provided by my father-in-law who has been a teacher for nearly 40 years now.

Upon a moments reflection, he may have been referring to the recent SATS fiasco rather than higher up the education chain.

16. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Shame you missed out on the time frame for a photocopy. I'd get it remarked. It's £40, and it could well affect your future. Hell, if you are right and you go up a grade, if it gets you into a uni you want to go to, what's £40 compared to the thousands that uni will cost? :p

That said, I had my english Lit remarked and LOST marks. 11 down to 3, I am an awesome student.

17. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Got a D in my latin so I'm getting that remarked since it was very unexpected.

18. liquid_gen

Should've asked when I was talking to my tutor but I forgot: Anyone know how long a remark takes? I know that at GCSE they took a couple of months

19. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I would expect less time than the GCSE's, given that they're usually wanted before people go to uni, but given the current state of the marking groups, I would be very surprised if they were any good at getting it done quickly.

20. Matticus

Matticus ...

Yeah a remark is a good idea. My brother got a D in English lang for his GCSE's and he was expecting a C. He and a few others got theirs remarked and his and a girl got their marks moved up. It went from 1 mark away from a C to a very good, not too far off a B.

Tags: