1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The 65 mpg Ford the U.S. Can't Have

Discussion in 'General' started by Scirocco, 16 Sep 2008.

1. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

unless you are driving a more modern diesel, then the sound is more similar to the sound of silence...

2. cpu121

cpu121 What's a Dremel?

I seem to recall that the absence of European diesel models in the States is down to stricter enivormental standards (something to do with soot or sulphur, can't remember exactly) in California (the largest market). Apparently the likes of VW's TDI produced too much sulphur or something like that. Hence why some TDIs were introduced several years ago but none since. It's only fairly recently that VW have adapted their engines to meet the standards.

3. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

BMW's new twin turbo 3L Diesel is going to put out more torque and vertually the same HP as the M3, so the new 330d is going to be a much better purchase vs the M3 (cock extension)

and considering that modern diesels put out the same and if not more hp than there petrol bothers and sisters there is no reason to buy a new that isn't a diesel as you get way more torque! Torque is your friend so grow to love it!

5. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

I lost any respect for that quote when I realised they'd described a diesel Fiesta as "sporty" :( Surely the diesel is a moot point anyway? It wouldn't sell in the US because it's not a hulking great truck/muscle car, would it?

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

335d: 286hp/520Nm@1750rpm
    M3: 420hp/400Nm@3900rpm

The 335d has a much torquier engine, with a massive amount from low revs, but a very sharp torque curve compared to the M3's V8, and that's for a very clever twin-turbo diesel.

Besides which, it's not always a numbers game - as a tool, a diesel engine is a much easier for everyday driving, (although the costs are becoming similar to driving a petrol-equivalent for most mid-sized cars) but, and that is a massive but, a petrol engine is about the feel and excitement imo.

It's about the sound, and the free-revving nature, wringing every ounce of performance from a much more strung-out engine, where you need a good dial of revs to find the torque and power peaks. With a diesel you simply have a big blast of torque, then it's finished. It might be faster in the real world for driving up and down motorways etc, but it's not as much fun.

7. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

I beg to differ. That slug of low down torque that rockets you past the car in front is brilliant, it's performance you can actually legally use on the road.

Don't get me wrong, the M3 is brilliant, but you have to be really ragging it to get the most of out of it, which means you probably are being dangerous on the roads.

An exception to this rule is the C63 (or any of the AMG 63/65's because they have a shed load of torque and alot of power, which means you get the best of both worlds)

8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

i would say modern diesel engines from BMW give the same excitment as a classic american V8 muscle car, without the noise. All that low down torque throws you off the line at a crazy pace.

9. NiHiLiST

So, half the excitement then ;)

10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I have the best MPG.

It's called a bike. And legs.

I'd much prefer an Aston Martin V8 Vantage X-Pack (1988) though. The one I'd like is only £89,950, it's a real bargain! >.>

11. paulwebber

paulwebber What's a Dremel?

if your uncle has a vegetable farm, then why doesnt he convert his truck to vegetable oil? it works with DIESEL and is a hell of a lot cheaper as well as being more environmentally friendly! sounds geeky i know but it would work!! only downside is that he would need to grow some more vegetables!!

the only time sporty and diesel work in a sentence is when your describing those vauxhall super race car thingys! possible le mans car, not quite sure but i no they do them!!

Please use the edit button! :\

Last edited by a moderator: 17 Sep 2008
  12. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

There are quite a few high-performance diesels out there, including the Audi R10's at Le Mans, BMW's 335d being one of the best.

13. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

And Skoda's vRS cars :) (I'm biased obviously lol)

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Sound, schmound. My Civic 2.2CTDi Type S wooshes when I power down the road. The only thing sounding nicer is the Type R --but frankly between the insurance, road tax and fuel bills I prefer the sound of money in my pocket.

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Cha-Ching....

16. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne

That Fiesta is one great looking car, i'm going ford next, can't decide between Mondeo or Focus tho.

17. NiHiLiST

Fabia? Stock... not really. They're fine cars (I was looking at getting one) and are quickish with a remap, but they're not performance cars IMO.

18. kennethsross

kennethsross What's a Dremel?

Mine's an '05 Ford Mondeo TDCi. 130 bhp, and more torque than its 205/55x16s can handle (really should have traction control).

All I can say is folks shouldn't criticise diesel until you've driven a modern one. If I had to choose between petrol and diesel, it would be diesel every time. I just love the driving characteristics and power delivery. As a well known song said "Might as well face it, I'm addicted to torque".

Oh, and it also averages 43mpg around town / 55 mpg + on a decent run.

On an aside, I know a guy who lives in East Texas, and has business interests about 150 miles away in Dallas. He has a Lincoln Navigator and a Lincoln Town Car in his garage, but want to know what he drives 3 or 4 times a week into Dallas? A VW Jetta (same as a UK Bora) TDi.

Last edited: 19 Sep 2008
  19. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

********, dawg.
    The Type-R around here sound like a crock of shite; the rattling VTEC gets annoying when you hear it at every other intersection, every day.

Last edited: 19 Sep 2008
  20. knuck

knuck Hate your face

are you kidding me ? I was thinking about getting a Civic Type-R to replace my Accord...

...someday

Tags: