1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POTM [09/08] Yellow & Blue

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by zabe, 19 Sep 2008.

1. zabe

zabe Perfect in my imperfection

Hey everybody!!

I'm back!! I had no time to post something for last month's POTM... This month, I had a real hard time looking for blue things (other than the sky :p) and in the end I opted for doing something different than the most obvious (which would be focusing on the "blue"). Thus, I went for contrast, and got some nice pics of yellow flowers, then equalized the histogram to get those blues in the background and decreased the contrast a little bit (corelPP made it a little too contrasty for my taste)... and voila!! I'm still going for the blue, but with a twist: it's more of a "contrasting blue" theme for me this month. I know that with some better technique than what I possess the colors could be better, but I've tried my best... and I think it looks pretty cool!!

Comments are more than welcome, as always!!

[​IMG]

2. akpoly

akpoly What's a Dremel?

The magenta is a bit too saturated for my taste but its a nice picture. Weird little bugs on the stem is what made me interested.

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

It seems a tiny bit soft but otherwise I quite like it. The blue/purple and yellow have great contrast and the angle/framking are well done. The closest flower in the background right at the bottom of the shot is a tiny bit distracting given its size, but that's fairly minor to be honest.

4. ssR

ssR Carbon God

i like it as far as composition goes. the colors are very intense and the bugs add to the overall impression. like firehed said the floower at the bottom is a little bit distracting but otherwise its a good pic :thumb:

5. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Agreed with what has been said so far. Good shot.
    As mentioned before the magenta is a bit too saturated. I'm seeing more yellow/purple than yellow/blue. And it does indeed seem a bit soft.
    In all it works well and the cropping is good.
    :thumb:

6. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

On the crappy dell monitor I have here at work, it's very blue - I wonder if that could be part of the problem? You may want to look at color calibration, zabe. If the photo guys see purple but you see a blue (like I do on this monitor), you may just be slightly off. Either that, or check your color range before the JPEG conversion in photoshop - I know that Firefox does some weird things to AdobeRGB at times, for instance.

Aside from that, the image is a little soft as Eric's mentioned, but I absolutely love the composition and the color choice. As far as theme goes, I think this was a great "out of the box" take on it and it created a very attractive image. I'm drawn to the yellow flower instantly but I find myriad little details just outside of it to keep me interested.

All in all, great job!

7. zabe

zabe Perfect in my imperfection

I'm trying to take it out of the picture but I'm not very confident in my editing skills (I pretty much suck), we'll see if I'm capable of doing it nicely before the deadline, if not what I have now will have to do...

I did try to eliminate more magenta but I saw absolutely no difference in my screen. Then I tried giving the blue more impact but that ruined the flower's color, turning it greenish, which didn't look nice at all... I'm more used to work with ps cs3, but I just switched to vista x64 and stupid Adobe don't support x64 yet (unbelievable, and not to mention flash player for the web...:miffed:) so I'm working with photopaint x4 until cs4 is out, but corel is unfamiliar territory for me and tweaking pics is difficult right now...

I´d go with you Da Dego, my crappy dell laptop's monitor is probably off color-wise. Then again, I have no idea as to how to calibrate it or if it even show better colors (I'm asuming that given it's laptop LCD nature it's probably very limited).

Don't you just love the little ants? I love them!! Notice how there's a bunch of them in the lower part, and only a few in the top... it feels like the strongest are the ones who managed to "conquer" the flower!! :D

8. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

I like it a lot, ants are ace :D

Tags: