1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Eee problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by Pha3dr0n, 21 Sep 2008.

1. Pha3dr0n

Pha3dr0n Where's my Valium?

I've got aa Asus Eee 701 netbook, with the default Xandros install on it (2 gig SSD); a few weeks ago I tried to install XP onto a SD card from a flash drive (the install failed - theres a fault with theSD card). Now when I start the machine it POSTs ok, then I get the message that "this is not a bootable disk". I've checked the BIOS and have even disabled every drive except for the SSD. I must have messed up the SSD somehow when trying to install XP.

I'm not overly familiar with linux - but would like to get this running again. Can anybody point me in the right direction on the simplest, most straight forward method? I'm not too concerned what OS is used, as long as all the drivers are available.

I'm not in any hurry - I only use it when I tavel, and I'm not off again until December.

Thanks,

Pha3dr0n

2. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

With the EEE, you can recover the original OS although it's probably that you have just overwritten the boot loader and that could be fixed with a bootable liveUSB distro like DSL or Slax.

3. Pha3dr0n

So I could get the original Xandros install back?

Any tips?

4. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Hit of the eeeUser forums, they will have all the answers you could ever dream of.

5. Pha3dr0n

Cheers - had a look and saw mention of recovery cd's - I had completely forgotten there were a couple of discs in the box, so thats Xandros restored, and the full desktop opened up. Just need to figure out how to repartition an format an 8gig sd card that aint showing up right.

Thanks for the help.

Pha3dr0n

6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Open a terminal screen, and type "man fdisk". This will give you the user manual for fdisk, which is the disk formatting command.
    Use the arrows and page up/down to scroll, and press Q to exit the manual.

To find out which disk is your SD card, use "mount -l" which lists all disks currently mounted.

Once you've partitioned the card to your satisfaction, use "mkfs.vfat" (try the "man" command again for options) to format it as FAT32 for your XP install.

7. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

You shouldt partition or format a mounted drive, while i do perfer fdisk - cfdisk is more user friendly

8. Pha3dr0n

Cheers guys - used cfdisk and got it fixed.

Tags: