1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playstation 3 Play TV

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by mikeuk2004, 20 Sep 2008.

1. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Has anyone else got PLay TV???

I got mine this morning and so far its great and does exactly what it is supposed to do. My only grudge is that you can not change the channel order. I hope they will bring out an update that will let you do this. My Samsung TV was like that for 6 months or so before I got a software update which then allowed you to reorder them.

It records pauses TV fine, can record while watching another channel, playing a game or even watching a DVD or Bluray.

Not bad for £55

Edit: I would like to point out that all those web sites that said you can not use it to record Tv, move to PC and playback or edit are liars. I can confirm that you can, all you need is an external hard disk and the M2TS codec. You can move the video file to an external hard disk from the playstation. THen you can move that file to a PC or even playback from the external hard disk.

This was one concern I had when preordering, because I wanted to be able to do this. I was almost put off by all the websites that said you can not do it and the video is locked to the Playstation 3.

Last edited: 20 Sep 2008
  2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I want it, but I can't get freeview in my property at the moment :( Is there plans for a free-sat one?

3. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Shame there's no North American release planned for now... I wouldn't mind picking one up, would be a nice addition to the HD cable box.

4. mikeuk2004

Would bee good if it was and if they are thinking about it. It would not suprise me if there will be a new PS3 with Play TV built in.

I recroded 1 Hour of TV and moved it to my PC. For those that wish to know, the file size is 1.199GB for 1 Hour 4mins.

5. DougEdey

So no compression then?

6. koola

koola Minimodder

I love the "find and record" function :D

Well worth the money imo.

7. DougEdey

I saw that on the video demo, hence why I want it :(

8. mikeuk2004

Doesnt look like it, i beleive the M2TS format is sony uncompressed HD format as used in HDD Video Cameras. But the main thing is you can move the videos you want to keep to PC, trim and compress them and stick them back on the PS3 or a external drive.

Just been using remote play to watch TV in my bedroom on PSP. I dont have a TV in there as my flat is too small :) ITs seems to work great and I hope to test it over the internet at xmas when im holiday in China :) I need to make sure my Farther in Law has a Wireless Router :)

9. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Sounds pretty awesome, another tick in the growing why I should get a PS3 box.

However I need some new devious plans to get monies.

10. koola

koola Minimodder

Sell the 360 :naughty:

Also discovered that it records scheduled shows even when the PS3 is in standby mode.

11. Angleus

Angleus What's a Dremel?

Was just reading the reviews on amazon, and theres a few mega negative ones, are these guys just noobs? Or is it a bit of luck with signal and stuff, (people complainign about not finding any channels)

12. mikeuk2004

I bet its lack of signal in their area. If you can get freeview ok in your area then there shouldnt be a problem. Its shows the same signal strength as the signal strength of the freeview tuner in my TV.

13. BigD79

BigD79 Gadding about...

Mike, are you watching your TV through the PS3 now or have you brought a splitter so you can watch via your telly if you want? just wondering if there is any difference in the picture?
    Only ask as i live in sight of the Emley moor TV tower, used to get great reception with a bit of coiled up coaxial hanging out the window but now the GF paid for an aerial it gets a bit "blocky" sometimes, signal strength must be fine, but wondered if there's any noticeable differences watching via PlayTV?

14. mikeuk2004

I live in an apartment block and the Tv ariel on the roof of the building is shared between 50 apartments. I then have a 10 meter philips TV coax cable plugged into my living room socket which goes around the living room with a Y spliter on the other end. One end of the spliter goes straight into the Play TV box and the other end is attached to a 1 meter TV coax cable that plugs into the TV. I get about 70% signal strength on the TV and on play TV.

Picture on PS3 and the TV's freeview tuner are 100% with no break up or delay or anything. I have never had any problems with freeview, however my brother has a little break up in his bedroom because he uses one of those cheap TV ariels that sit on the TV.

Currently im watching TV on the PS3 and not through my TV because I use the Pause button alot. I used a Y splitter for those moment I want to check somehting on TV like the news in the morning and cant be bothered to stick the PS3 on (Does take a while for it to load up)

Hope that helps

15. BigD79

BigD79 Gadding about...

cool thanks Mike. :thumb:

16. mikeuk2004

I hope they will also create a fix to let you watch TV while you have a PSN download going. So far thats another reason why I still got the ariel going to my TV. Im trying to Download Wipeout HD and cant use Play TV at the same time.

Never mind :)

17. koola

koola Minimodder

Sounds like a firmware update fix is needed.

18. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Hmmm, I'm very tempted to get one to replace my 40GB freeview recorder. Think I'll get a kill-a-watt and check out power consumption from both the PS3 and freeview box to compare first.

19. superseagull

superseagull If it aint broke, fix it ;-)

gotta say i am tempted to get it but wonder how it will look on my 46" Sony Bravia - if no good i will havta shell out for a recordable freeview box which upscales

any advice welcome - thanks

20. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Got a Sony Centre nearby?