1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News CD Projekt: Publishers are scared to go DRM-free

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Sep 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Good for them :). And GOG is awesome, though worrying me slightly right now as even though I was in the early access and bought some games, I don't seem able to get anything but the teaser page right at this moment.

3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Makes me feel like I want to buy it... just for them being so cool about piracy!

4. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

Have to agree with them and also agree with proxess - it makes you want to throw money their way for having the right attitude in that piracy can't be controlled directly you can only control the demand for your game.

5. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Advanced DRM schemes, like the one being used by EA, get an immediate no-buy tag in my list.
    May get the games when they are released at 9,99€, though.

6. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Good God, someone with decent, logical and real-world approach to the problem.

+1 to proxess and Dreaming; I too would pay for the game 100% just because they have the correct attitude.

What I like is that they aren't "giving in" to piracy as they fully acknowledge what none of the major media labels will -- piracy exists and it always will. The only way to reduce the effect is to perhaps change the minds of people who would otherwise buy the media if it didn't have ridiculous, draconian means of enforcing copyrights.

Instead, they want to entice the consumer with, <shock>, quality and content. :thumb::clap:

7. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

Exactly! I'm playing Oblivion - no DRM, no copy protection. I even bought it for a high price(collector's edition) - because I love this game. And they treat me like a honest gamer! Now that makes me want to donate money to them! Happy customer... :)

I've got some experience with CD Projekt - they sell some games in my country - although they charge a lot of money for end users, their offers via stores are much better(Doom3 + RoE for 20$ last year). Some of their offers makes piracy the "uncomfortable" way of obtaining games. Probably the best way to fight the piracy...

Impar, thanks on update on Crysis copy protection. Now that I know it doesn't require inet connection...well, EA made themselves reputation with DRM in their latest games...

8. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

more like 6.90€, considering the current exchange rate.

edit: these guys are fu**ing awesome!!!! i will buy some games from them, especially MDK.

edit: i hope they make game packs with several games that sell for a discount.

9. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Did I see MDK on the GOG site? thats kewl!

I love their thinking of DRMFREE: You won't find any intrusive copy protection in our games; we hate draconian DRM schemes just as much as you do, so at GOG.com you don't just buy the game, you actually own it. Once you download a game, you can install it on any PC and even re-download it whenever you want, as many times as you need, and you can play it without an internet connection.

Wow I actually OWN the game instead of "The right to lend it' ..

10. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

They don't make it very clear how to get back into the site for the beta users, but you just need to work around the teaser page and log in with your beta account.

http://www.gog.com/en/catalogue/

That URL should get you to the Beta catalogue, where you can log in and buy/download the games.

GOG is awesome in every regard from my usage of it so far, the only thing it needs is a bigger catalogue of games, but it's steadily growing as they're adding a couple of games each week.
    The Baldur's Gate series and Planescape Torment are high on the wishlists of most of the GOG users on the forums, and since GOG is already partnered with Interplay, it looks promising..
    I already have my original hard-copies of the BG series and PST kept safely in a place of pride on my shelf, but it'll be nice to see those games introduced to some new gamers. It might remind people how good cRPGs used to be..
    On top of that, though, GOG put a bit of effort into making older games compatible with XP and Vista, so hopefully they might be able to clean up some of PST's glitchiness in XP and its problems with newer graphics hardware.

CD Projekt and GOG Cheesecake. :)

Last edited: 22 Sep 2008
  11. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

What impressed me most is that they make the old games compatible with the new operating systems. I have a shipload of old games on the shelf that do not work since XP or now with Vista. If it is out of the beta program I will absolutely look around searching for my own classics!

12. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Total respect to them for this. I like it when they use their brains!

13. Sleepstreamer

Sleepstreamer I modded christmas!

Think I'm gonna go buy some games off GOG...

14. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

this makes me glad I plunked down the cash for The Witcher :) ..... (which is a terriffic game, I might add)

15. supaste

supaste What's a Dremel?

As brilliant as this is some people may have trouble chooseing to use it - hear me out lol

I use steam at the moment for buying games online and i have my own catalog of games within it. If i was to start buying games off gog (which i may well do) it would add another password to remember. My point being that people may have a hard time changing their ways, alot of people are loyal to steam.

16. Jojii

Jojii hardware freak

when people start recieving bills at thier homes after they download off a p2p, then piracy will stop.

17. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

I will support them over EA any day.
    I remember playing Red Alert with a friend over lan using the same set of CD's. If they implement that in a game im in. They could set a limit of four players for x amount of days for example. Those were the days.

18. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

That link is redirecting to the teaser page for me also though. :waah:

Tags: Add Tags