1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Happened To Bit-Tech? (a.k.a. Where did user X go?)

Discussion in 'Serious' started by ComputerKing, 22 Sep 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Major

Major Guest

Less idiotic posts and more decent ones are one factor.

Secondly, I personally think people use the PC less towards Xmas (I do).

2. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

What was that from? I can't remember for the life of me.

3. hobbs

hobbs What's a Dremel?

I'm going to go with this as well. The fact that the mods would not hear that people did not like the forum layout when it first change was a total turn off for me. I know this by I created a poll and it was deleted within the hour. I really didn't like the fact that it just changed and the mods kept saying give it time. Ive been spending less time here and more time over at hardocp. While it may have a lot of sub forums and it looks ulgy its a great forum and its easy to use. Here you have to click though a sub forum and a flag to read what you want.

4. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Logan's Run.

5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I don't get the dislike of the new structure, it's essentially the same thing. The only issue I have with it is you can't give multiple tags to a thread.

6. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

Could it just be that summer has finally arrived on these fair isles? That combined with the little...umm...children, going back to school means that those of us old enough to buy beer legally have been out enjoying the sun in the peace and quiet?

WRT the new format, it took me a while to get used to it but now I think I prefer it, with it like this I run into all sorts of interesting threads that I wouldn't have seen before.

How many victims have the ban hammers had so far in this clearout?

Moriquendi

7. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

...Test Forum! :worried:

8. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Eh, it's plateaued a while back. I've complained at least once before that I want to see more modding articles.

Anyways, the problem isn't really with bit-tech, but with the current generations of things. I came to BT for the modding articles and great threads. These days, there are still a lot of awesome features, but they're somewhat more rarer. Mods have to be much flashier and blingier these days to gather as much attention as much simpler mods used to command.

9. Gooey_GUI

Gooey_GUI Wanted: Red Shirts

When the forum changed, I was a little nonplussed, but I got over it. Now, I think it's efficient and easy to use.

Summer has a way of pulling people away from their screens. Just wait until the foul weather arrives, and there will be an upsurge I bet. In the meanwhile, posting new topics or responses can be done by more people if they didn't spend so much time lurking. The traffic seems to arrive when there is something of interest to observe.

:idea:

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Uhh... what forum change are we all talking about? We're not still on about the tagging, are we? That was months and months ago.

11. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

i don't know what you guys are talking about. the forums seem busy as ever to me. some old faces are gone, some new members have come in, but overall it's still a great community, and in my opinion one of the most civilized places on the internet.

tbh, i'm glad it's not busier. there's 5 pages of new threads when i wake up in the morning. that's plenty to keep me busy for a while. if i need help, any questions i ask have responses within the hour. any busier than that, and you'd get something like the ubuntu forums, full of n00bs who don't know what they're talking about, and threads dropping off the first page before anybody got a chance to reply to them. and there's still great stuff coming out of the project logs section every day - can't complain about that.

also:
    douche

12. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I would say the quality of the forums has definatly gone down over the past 6 months. Some of it is attributable to the change to the tagging format. The loss of Serious Discussion as a place for, well, serious discussion, free from cheesecake, is something I will never forgive.

The membership has changed too. Membership may be growing by leaps and bounds, but I find that as we become more popular with the world at large, we begin to reflect the world at large, rather than being a place for smart people with an interest in computers. We've lost Glider and Spec and even people like .308AR with whom I frequently disagreed, but at least respected for their intelligence and insight. Instead we have CK and Lepermessiah and a whole flock of opinionated fanbois. Bit has become mainstream , but at the cost of ceasing to be a nieche for those with uncommon interests.

It also seems that the moderators have become more tolerant of abusive posts. Things that once would have been an automatic suspension go without comment now. Maybe that's changing, I'd like to hope that it is.

I'll be the first to admit, I'm trying to hold on the the past. I'd like to see Bit, or at least my little corner of it, return to a time when there was a very vocal and active group of highly intelligent people discussing the issues of the day in long, well though out posts. Call me a troglidite, but I think that's a past worth preserving.

Last edited: 23 Sep 2008
  13. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

Bit would not be the same without CK. Admit it. Everybody loves him in some way or another.

The only thing i still have not seen is the modding articles from back when Bit started. Alot of those have gone 00 i think. There are some good oldschool ideas that have been forgotten and the OP has not been seen for a century. Or so to speak.
    Btw. Anybody seen Acrimonous? He disappeared after the first jolt went through forums with the closure of several subforums.

14. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

@ Cthippo: Very agreed, after missing the forum change due to inactivity for about a year, I came back to a very strange place. Serious discusion was always much more interesting and fun to read than "cheescake" and arguments between yourself, spec, .308 And nexxo will be sorely missed. Still, the modding community is fairly ripe and I can enjoy that, and the reviews are still the most trusted I've come across.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Not true at all - it's also a case we get less reported posts than we used to and we don't see everything. If you find something, tell us.

I'm not going over it again but we dumped SD because it became anti-American central. Every. single. thread was "blah blah blah America", and we got tons of complaints. Admittedly things have changed somewhat these days thankfully.

As I said before - quit moaning about the ****ing forum and post in the new beta - THIS TIME WE WANT YOUR OPINIONS BEFOREHAND. :D:D:D

16. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

Erm what beta?

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Wait there... I've just got to check if it's open to all or not...

We did a forum announcement a while back asking for 50 people to get in on and test our new forums, but I'm not sure if Jamie opened it to the general populous to comment.

18. Prestidigitweeze

Prestidigitweeze "Oblivion ha-ha" to you, too.

What have I missed? So far as I gleaned, his posts during the past week seemed jocular enough, and he's still a moderator. Has he retired as a reviewer or modder, perhaps, or was your comment speculative?

19. RTT

RTT #parp

The old "whats happened to bit-tech" threads were way better than this one is, can we bring those back? :(

20. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

The beta is a secret society within bit-tech - we have better threads ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.