1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 7 removes e-mail, photo tools

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 24 Sep 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I like the XP 'Windows Picture and Fax Viewer' for a quick look at a picture, but prefer my own applications for e-mail and editing of any type.

3. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

How much do you want to bet that the first version will be free, but the "upgraded" version (containing, mostly useless, extras) will be chargable?

I think I'll stick with Linux and the Open Source software I use on Windows thanks.

Andy

4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I like the idea of not having all that crap (or not so much crap but I just don't use it) installed. Using FF and TB myself I can only applaud Microsoft for that. Now get rid of IE in the standard install and I'm happy. ;)

5. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

that would be absolutely wonderful.

yep

6. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I'm also glad they are pareing things down a bit and "the cloud" seems to be the way to go. We all need a browser out the box these days so maybe a utility built into windows to pick the one you want instead of having ie forced on you.

But some tools are also useful to run local, like the picture and fax viewer to quickly flick through photos.

7. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Definatly a step in the right direction. Now if they can just strip out IE and WMP, I'll be happy.

Who am I kidding, I'll still be a penguin head, but at least I'll hopefully have fewer reasons to curse at the computer when i have to use a MS app.

8. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I also love the Picture and Fax viewer, but I have to hand it to MS; this is a great step forward. It is easier for them, and now I don't have anything I never use installed on my PC everytime I do a format.

9. feedayeen

feedayeen What's a Dremel?

The fewer extra features that microsoft bundles with it's operating systems the better, even for their own users. A smaller bundle means that fewer people use a single standard for their software, a smaller population of users will lesson the encintive of hackers to create malware that can abuse that software's rights on the computer.

Besides, this might just be the push that some people need inorder for them to install software properly and safely further increasing tech literacy among the masses (or it will result in many calls from grandmothers about the magic box).

10. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

Can they really get rid of something like IE from the default install, the average user wouldnt be able to just hope on the net then, as they couldnt even download an alternative

11. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I wouldn't mind them leaving IE in the default install so long as it can be uninstalled.

My big gripe is that even though I never use IE, I have to keep patching it because it creates security issues for the whole system due to the way they welded it to the OS. Hopefully it will be a totally seperate program in Win7 which can be used to download Opera (or FF or Chrome or whatever) and then be uninstalled.

And while I'm dreaming, I'd also like MS to quit supporting any form of DRM

12. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I don't think we'll ever see an IE-free version of Windows. As I understand it, it's so deeply tied into the core OS that it would require a complete rewrite from the ground up just to remove it. That's never going to happen.

I do use the photo viewer thingy in Vista & XP though - it's a useful way to browse through photos looking for the one I want without having to fire up Photoshop.

13. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Good news.

First programs I install are AVG, Comodo, Firefox, Thunderbird, KLite (with Media Player Classic, of course), FastStone Image Viewer and Paint .NET.

Most of the bundled programs Microsoft includes dont get used at all, IE is just used for Windows Update.

14. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I like all these tools. They are easy to use, works great for small jobs.
    I want them!

Is it REALLY a killer to add a Custom button in Windows Setup where you can add/remove features you want in Windows?!

15. GoodBytes

The only think install as basic programs is Firefox, Thunderbird, Vista Codec Pack 64-bit, Jascs PaintShop Pro 7.
    I do use A LOT PhotoGallary, as Flibblebot you don't need to wait to startup a monster application just to check pout 1 freaking picture.

I don't know, Most videos on youtube are done in Windows Movie Maker.

If you use Vista, you will see that Internet Explorer is not only out of the folder system (finally), but even Windows Update is included as part of the OS (no website crap that takes 2 hours to detect the updates and all buggy).

The only time I use Internet Explorer is when I want to run a 64-bit Web browser for those sites that use OS detection to offer you a download. As I want the 64-bit version, I use IE 64-bit.

To add:
    Al these tools are fairly light, I mean HDD space is NOT an issue anymore, it doesn't load on the back. PROOF: Windows Vista Business edition doesn't start up faster than the Ultimate edition. As you are are not running these software, it does not eat resources, and Vista take 20min to install, and probably limited to the user optical drive speed. So I REALLY don't see where the "bloatware" is. If it bothers anyone, just delete the start menu shortcut.

Last edited: 24 Sep 2008
  16. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

yes becuase setup is too complicated!!!

well thats what they think,
    they have been pushing to make setup as simple as possible for some time now and by adding in custom install options you complicate things

what they need to implement is a question right at the very start of the process do you want to install windows default or customised.

let us have the choice from the very start anyone who doesnt know to pick default when they are not sure what they are doing has no right to be anywhere near to an OS being installed

17. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Personally id rather have IE kept in windows, think when you do a fresh install, only machine in the house, want to install firfox / drivers for hardware after a fresh build, but wait you cant download anything because no browser, unless you had a firefox install floating around on a usb stick / hard drive etc.

Just means that when you come to install windows, there would be 2 things you would ensure you have, windows install disc, and a usb stick with latest fire fox on
    so that you can then download the latest drivers / codecs etc from various sites.

So would rather keep IE, but WMP can go... and keep MPC :D

18. GoodBytes

I think WMP 11 is nice ON PAPER. They are some improvement in usability that could be done, but it's really a HUDGE step better than it's previous version (10). The problem is that it's badly optimized, in the sense that when you scale the window, it's slow (well not as fast as other player/software or MPC). If they make WMP11 more optimized, and remove that online store thingy (Zune store, or Windows, decide Microsoft, not both!), I think it would be pretty good already.

19. roshan

roshan What's a Dremel?

I dont see any thing better than vista in windows 7 except directx 11 for gamers.

20. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

If they can make the picture viewer slightly less hopelessly slow, I'm all for it.

> Windows Mail ... last seen in Vista

Wouldn't that also be first seen in Vista?

Tags: Add Tags