1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA responds to Spore banning threats

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 25 Sep 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Anti DRM creatures? I am guessing that is done purely through the names

3. CardJoe

Nope - shaped creatures.

4. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Does any one have an image of such a thing?

5. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Spore was cracked like 1 or 2 days after its retease. So, anyone who wants to play it could just torrent it.

Then i ask: Whats the point of so much protection care about those games? No game is uncrackable - if there is such word.
    I think this kind of attitude will just lead more ppl to grab the torrent. But still the game is great fun and it worth its price. Surely!

6. CardJoe

It stops second hand sales. You can't sell a game at Game or Gamestation if it has once only activation keys, as Mercs 2, Hellgate and Spore all do.

7. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

some of them anti drm creatures are actually quite funny :D

i personally dont see the point in the drm tbh, surely EA can see that the game was cracked and is available to torrent? and i cant see second hand sales massively affecting there profits,

8. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

Yep absolutely right. I'm convinced that this is just EA's attempt to stamp out the second-hand games market (of which they don't see one red cent) and they are just using the 'anti-piracy' stance as a smokescreen since it's a lot easier to get away with that than say 'We just don't want you selling this on.' - I seem to remember hearing/reading that this might not be entirely legal... (ie that you have a right to re-sell any item you've bought) of course I stress that I'm in no way sure about that - does anyone out there have any actual knowledge about that or not?

9. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Shaped like?
    Are we refering to the creatures that users created that resemble goatse or other such gestures? Or are these so called anti-drm creatures of some other form? :confused:

10. The Bodger

The Bodger What's a Dremel?

You're probably right about the second hand market, Tyrmot. I can't speak about the licensing of Spore, but I know that with some programs, you don't actually buy a coy per se, but insted are merely buying the right to use the software. Thus you are bound by the licensing, and if the licence says non - transferrable, then that's the end of it :(

11. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

Yeah in fact here is an interview where some EA VP makes it clear that they are not happy with the situation http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ea-second-hand-sales-are-a-critical-situation - funny that they don't mention it when they are talking about secuROM isn't it? Then it's all about the 'piracy' (and this despite the fact it is now available for torrenting).

If it was really an anti-piracy measure, wouldn't it make sense to remove it once the cracked version is available? No of course not, because that's not why they stuck it in there in the first place....

12. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

Fixed

13. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

That may be the case, but SecuROM doesn't affect the activation system. And if your stores are anything like ours, that's not likely to stop the retailer from selling a used, already-activated game.

I don't care anymore. I wrote my letter to EA, and I'm done purchasing their products. I honestly become less satisfied by Spore each time I think about it, and that's typically true of other EA games as well. Their company seems to the embodiment of mediocrity that tries to find medicine for the symptoms rather than fixing the actual problem. I've already told a number of people to avoid Spore and other EA games, partly from the copy protection, partly from the mediocrity, and partly because the games simply aren't worth what they charge - and I'll continue to do the same. Their long streak of over-promising, under-delivering, and treating their legitimate customers like criminals has gone far enough and I'll be doing my bit to ensure it doesn't continue. I'm not going out on crusades against them as I don't have that much time to waste, but they certainly won't be getting any word-of-mouth referrals from me.

14. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

It's annoying, in a way - EA went through a period (shortly after C&C3) where they seemed like they wanted to listen to their customers and 'do stuff right'... instead, all they seem to be doing now is 'stuff wrong' and 'OMG, damage control!'...

I'm totally uninterested by Spore now. Remain slightly tempted by Crysis Warhead, but in the end, all I have to do is look at a fair-sized pile of games I've got (multiplatform) that I've still barely touched, and it reminds me I should play them first. :D

15. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

16. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

For ****'s sake...

I was actually beginning to regain some respect for EA before this whole debacle...

17. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

You also can't sell a game at Game if it's for the PC...

18. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

The simple solution for me was to stop buying EA products.

It's a nice change to buy games that don't need patching on release, actually...

19. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

I agree, stop whining and just don't buy the game, that's one of the reasons EA started loosening their DRM, when people went to get the game via other means instead.

20. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Heh, good point..

Bought Mercs 2 on release day for the 360.. first thing that comes up when I put the disc in is the message saying you need to update in order to play online..

Tags: Add Tags