1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware BFG Tech GeForce GTX 260 OCX Maxcore

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 25 Sep 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

So the price in the US is about $350 inc tax.

The price in the UK is about $450. inc tax.

Just how long do we have to subsidise the US consumer????

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It doesn't work like that - the cost of delivery and support in the UK is far higher than the US. The population and potential market in the US is several fold higher than the UK so there is economies of scale, and in the US the tax depends on what state you are in. Simply put, as you're well aware, the cost of living in the UK is far greater.

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

If you take the UK price without tax, it's not that much more than the US price.

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

£250 is a bit expensive.

if the price were £220 to compete with 4870 1GB, this would win easily. but nVidia has put this right in the middle of gtx280 and old gtx260, which this isn't, it's closer to gtx260. so it should be around £220.

what people don't remember is that nVidia also has the GPGPU capacity, and even when its a little bit worse in some gaming performance, at £20 more, it's still great value

6. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Crap...utter crap.

First of all, the UK price comes from the cost in Euro's, which represents a market of over 400 million, US sales tax averages out at about 8% and the only reason the cost of living is higher in the UK is because companies like BFG and all the others charge rip off prices in the first place......chicken and the egg.

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

You should talk to Gordon Brown or Alistair Darling about the current VAT rates in the UK... Nothing BFG can do about that. Generally speaking though, because the dollar is strong at the moment, you're right to say that we're being screwed over a bit in Europe (even after you remove VAT from the equation).

Really speaking, this card should be around £220-230

8. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Even if you use the highest taxed cities in the US, it doesn't come close to the UK VAT. That's nuts. Tax for the card where I live would be $18.97.

9. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

the prices have always been like this, its not new so why are people still bitching dammit!

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No, it's not.

OK, so you have warehouses that are often situated in NL or Germany which does cut down some cost, but in the UK transport cost, wages, and mark-up of online stores is MUCH higher than in the states. The latter is the most - US stores make single percentage profit margins and pay less for warehouse space and delivery, whereas UK stores want double digit markups at least and it costs more in wages, tax, storage, transportation.

It's the simple mechanics of living in the UK and on an isolated Island so you don't have an easy benefit from buying from Germany for example, otherwise we'd all do it.

You can only really get pissed off with warranty and support differences - if we get shafted on RMAs then hell yea get miffed.

11. Goty

Goty Minimodder

What about the HD4870 1GB?

12. (RFFN)-SqUeD

(RFFN)-SqUeD I eat dremels for breakfast

Hey Everybody,

Well I know the prices is of the charge but, wat i like about this Graka is that it has just the 2x 6 pci-e power connector instaed of the 1x 6 and 1x 8 pci-e power connector. I want to upgrade from 8800gtx SLI and i have an 850 watt thermaltake though power PSU. thus 4x 6 pci-e power. I could buy some 6 -> 6+2 power cords but i don't know if 850 watt would be enough. So This could be a good alternative, in the near future for me. when the prices drop just a little. (SLI is great for me but hmmmmmmmm when u want to upgrade I want to go SLI agian - With its neccesary price TAG...............

13. Tim S

Tim S OG

It's something we'll be looking at very soon. :)

Tags: Add Tags