1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News China Mobile requests slower iPhone

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 26 Sep 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Sep 2008
  2. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

hold out, get the counter-offer, and make $$ then lower the price of the iphone and touch across the board, make even more $$ wash, rinse, repeat.

3. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

Come on, Google agreed to censorship in order to get some chineese cash, Apple won't have problem with disabling some parts on already crappy iPhone. It's always and only about ca$h.

4. xion

xion Minimodder

"looking deep into my crystal ball I foresee a new variant of the second coming phone ... I cant quite ... oh, wait I can read the name now... it's the iPhoneSOEBL+c."

"just a quick look in my marketing dictionary of hyperbollocks this translates to iPhone Streamline Optimised Extended Battery Life Edition with new and improved Censorship technology"

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i just don't get what's the deal with people hate it to hell?? what's wrong with the phone? has the phone offended you?

Wi-Fi, 3G and multi-touch are what made iPhone attractive over other phones. and disabling 2 of it meaning no-one's going to buy it, they'd rather buy off Hong-kong.

also, their lame excuse of preventing people to go to other network doesn't stand. iPhone 3G currently is un-unlockable. pwnage team has had little progress with it. and if its only a custom firmware, people can easily download other jailbroken firmwares for use

6. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

Wait this is in China.. I mean will they not just make a cheap copy of the iPhone? anyway anyone knows that the i stands for Imperialism. I foresee an all new pPhone (for the Peoples Phone, elsewhere in the world knows as the Phony phone) or maybe the cPhone (for Chinas Phone, in the states knows as the Commie phone)

:D

7. xion

xion Minimodder

i don't hate the phone, no more than i hate any innanimate object... but i';m afraid your argument there is a little thin... IMHO people would not stump for the iPhone over any other phone specifically for its 3g capability - this is pretty much standard now. Wi-Fi...? sure thats a nice to have, but i doubt would be the must have feature.. Multi-touch...? Well, yeah, let's be honnest here, this is a good concept, it works well, but i feel it's wasted on a phone. People will still buy the phone over any other because it's an iPhone. I don't need or use half the features on my Samsung Tocca, I chose that phone for it's gadgetrickery-shinyness not for it's 3g touch screen media player form facter et.al... (and the fact it was "free" on my contract)

In short, if apple removed anything they wanted, people would still buy. China Mobile would still make a shed load of money. People love to feel they are part of that exclusive club no matter how subconsciosly it is.

8. wyx087

that's true.

my comment wasn't directed at you. but since you reply to my comment:
    to tell you the truth, i hate Apple's aggressive marketing and the stupid fan boys. but i bought a cheap iPhone because of the features. multi-touch for the 30 odd great games on the iPhone is what i want. and i got exactly that. the Wi-Fi is also another thing i wanted in a phone, doesn't have to be iPhone. but all phones with Wi-Fi are £200+ without contracts, so i just bought this iPhone for £160.

a phone is defined by the feature set and without WiFi or 3G on iPhone 3G, it's no better than the average phone such as my old Sony k510i. in fact, i had more games than current iPhone on my old k510i.

everyone have different tastes and there's no need to hate any object. (though there's less of aggressiveness on this forum)

9. rhuitron

rhuitron Bump? What Bump?

^ Boom. There it is.

wuyanxu, if your not a woman, do you have a sister i could promise marriage to, right now?

10. wyx087

im sorry, both are impossible. im an only child.

which part of my above comment made you trigger happy?

Last edited: 26 Sep 2008
  11. ParaHelix.org

ParaHelix.org What's a Dremel?

iPhone spyPhone

12. ParaHelix.org

ParaHelix.org What's a Dremel?

13. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Link in initial post was wrong. Fixed now.

14. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Joe,

Does this mean China will no longer be the destination for buying high-end electronics, such as the iPhone, cheaply?

15. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

wuyanxu, I don't hate iPhone, i just say it's a crappy phone fot the iPod generation (a.k.a. "I-am-too-stupid-to-use-more-than-one-button" or "Me-like-shiny"). First generation was insanely overpriced and underdeveloped, 3G is cheaper, but plastic; and both rely solely on aggressive, brainwashing Apple marketing. There is a saying that goes "iPhone - made for iDiots".

16. Mr. B

Mr. B What's a Dremel?

What ill informed nonsense; typical Western bias. China will never license a CDMA 3g network and China Telecom would never build a separate one. China's TD 3G is still needs time to build and perfect, so I bet its more likely Apple suggested to cut-down phones for now.

Thankfully, China Mobile has broken the iPhone/Bberry monopoly model that forces subscribers to buy the phone and then continue renting it with monthly payments to providers from which they cannot escape. We should be grateful to CM.

China Mobile, with 415 million subscribers, also refuses to pay royalties to CDMA 3G developers forever. That's smart, not nefarious.

This will also keep CM's subscriber costs down (again thankfully). My 2G iPhone runs on CM's network just fine and it costs me barely $20 a month (okay I paid double for the phone, but it's all mine).

This is because of China Mobile's serve-the-people mandate and why its average monthly rake per subscriber is just over $10, which means millions of countryside peasants can afford this all-but essential service.

Now that's business and service with Chinese corporate characteristics!

b

17. Nature

Nature Minimodder

I can honestly tell you right now that asians in general are terrified of the iphone in a business sense. Korea won't allow it in the country (because of samsung) :D!!!! I don't think this would happen in a western country: a product not being released to the public because it's great and better than what the locals offer.....

If I'm wrong please give me an example...

Isn't nepotism beautiful?

Last edited: 28 Sep 2008
Tags: Add Tags