1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Applying Carbon Fiber Vinyl Film to Optical Mouse

Discussion in 'Modding' started by mnpctech, 24 Sep 2008.

1. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

I guide you through the steps in dismantling a Logitech LX6 Optical Mouse and applying carbon fiber vinyl film.

2. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Excellent video!

3. mnpctech

Thanks you, it was the first time I used that type of overhead recording technique. I think it worked nicely, I've already started brainstorming other guides I can record :dremel:

4. jodah175

jodah175 Wannabe Modder

umm, any particular reason where its goin at like 500mph for the first 30 seconds or so? other than that, excellent vid.

5. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I like the overhead view. Like watching surgery on the cable channels. Good video. Did you change cameras for this one? What camera do you like?
    John

6. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

That's pretty fast.

7. mnpctech

I felt the pace was too slow for describing the basic tools, ie: screwdrivers, exacto, scissors, but I won't do that again if enuf people complain. Nobdys complained about it on Youtube ...yet.

Cool, same camera I've used for my videos over past year.. Canon TX1 powershot It's a bit weird to hold at first, but you get used to it.. I attached it to a tripod and slung it over my drill press table parked along side my workbench, so the camera was elevated in front of my face, then twisted the lcd backward so I could view my work.

I think it would be excellent format to talk about installing the different types of power switches I sell, switch plates, connectors you need to purchase, solder etc

Last edited: 26 Sep 2008
  8. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

I love the fast bit at the start :D great video! when I a keyboard and mouse worth modding, this video should come in handy. Cheers Bill!

9. mnpctech

Thanks for the feedback Ry@n :thumb:

10. DuVeL

DuVeL What's a Dremel?

Good movie, don't worry about the fast tools passing by :dremel:
    Plus, it's on YouTube, you can pause it. Another option would have been adding them in text but I prefer this way. :thumb:

I think I'll try it out on my mouse aswell.
    Are you going to make a tutorial for keyboards aswell or is that similar but with a larger size of carbonpaper?

Got to say I like that carbonstuff.
    I've also used it to make flames on my Shuttle SD37P2 (case is black and added the same carbon as you). I had to cover up a really bad text I once made.:duh:
    It worked out pretty allright.

11. mnpctech

Thanks for the feedback DuVel, you're correct, same technique, but larger sheet.. I'd probally piece together sections of the film instead of trying to overlay one piece, that could be very tricky!

12. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

Great video. Just wondering how you would do this for an undulating surface, like the inside of a case, specifically where a mobo is placed. I am planning to do this in an HAF X, but it looks like it has a lot of un even surfaces, unlike some of the Lian Li's.

13. Joey_B

Joey_B Theres a SNAKE in my boot!!

Have a google for 3M Di-Noc Carbon Fibre Vinyl. Its use alot in the car modding scene and with a bit of heat from a hairdryer it will fit into all sorts of crazy shapes. There's plenty of videos on youtube of it being applied so you can judge whether it will be versatile enough for what you need.

Finally a picture of my MX518 wrapped with the 3M Di-Noc Carbon Effect Vinyl:

[​IMG]
    (crappy iPhone pic)

14. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

Thanks man...will check it out. What I have is not as expensive as 3m film. So need to check with the seller.

15. Fiyero

Fiyero Vindaloovian

I think it's a great idea. Most people who are going to be watching it already know the basics, so as long as it's comprehensible, then it gets things moved on nicely.

Good work sir.

16. mnpctech

Glad to Help! :thumb:

Tags: